opinions on turbo upgrade.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on turbo upgrade.......

well, topic pretty much says it all!! I'm planning on upgrading my turbos sometime this summer. not really sure witch route im going yet but i do know i'm keeping the twins. i'm also not looking for any power upgrade, just want the ceramic crap out of there! i was looking at the "N1 upgrade" on ebay(cheap!) or even a couple of GT28s(more $$$ but probably a better choice) Any feedback would be appreciated! thanks.

PS: this is for a R32 GTR

hks gt-ss or garrett equiv. R33 below is running 1.2bar on gt-ss turbies.

Comment

The 'N1' upgrade is actually just a steel wheel upgrade for the stock turbos, so unless you want to increase the boost on the stock turbos, you're better off going with the gt28s or a nice single..

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Comment

stock turbo with steel wheel how much boost can it make?
        laggy?

Comment

I already bought my turbos, if I would "rebuy" I would get a set of TOMEI 7760 on expreme manifolds / outlets. Awesome spool, awesome response, awesome power.

Dont forget, you get what you pay for.

What's your power goal ?

Comment

stock is fine with me. I'm not planning on increasing boost or anything

Comment

If you are planning on running stock power and stock boost, I don't think you will gain anything by changing your turbos. If you go with larger turbos and running stock boost you will end up with less response because the turbos will be operating below this efficiency range.
              My advice, keep the stock turbos (they are very good at stick boost) and use that money for other mods that would increase the response, such as a lightened flywheel and clutch kit, upgraded cams, etc.
              RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
              http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
              1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Nothing wrong with the stock ceramic turbo's. They fail due to age, abuse (without a good engine oilcooler), lack of servicing (changing oil, filter, etc). The exhaust wheel breaking is due to the above (bearings fail, exhaust side of turbo goes off balance and exhaust wheel hits housing).

Do what Nismo do with sports resetting -

ECU tune (Nistune), Nismo panel filter, NGK PFR7A sparkplugs with 0.8mm gap.

Next level is Stune (Street tune = 400hp with R34GTR stock turbo's, etc) -

RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

my turbos are still working good for now. but i have 135000 kms on them and would like to upgrade before something happens

Comment

Since you're not looking for more power from new turbos, you'd be better of just remvoing the restrictor and running 1.0 bar of boost with an EBC. Any more than that and you are subjecting the wheels to more stress due to the higher engine loads, and makes it more susceptible to failure from abuse like Skym said.

However, there is not much consequence to a failure of the exhaust wheels, the only things the debris can hit are the O2 sensors and the cat.. plus you can always score stock RB26 turbos for cheap.

Comment

I bought Tomei manifolds, dump pipes, and two GT2860R -7 turbos for my GTR and its amazing.

Comment

This place should be able to convert them into hybrid turbo's (machined stock housings for bigger wheels, Garrett CHRA, bigger steel wheels) -

Similar to N1 spec turbo's, but I think slightly laggier without ECU tune, boost controller, full exhaust.

Also I think hybrid turbo's for R32GTR use the same non ballbearing CHRA (Centre Housing Rotating Assembly or basically the centre part of turbo) as used on SR20DET turbo in Nissan's GTiR rally car.
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

These are they only thing worth while to upgrade to :
                          Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

i have the arms kit , works great even with stock cams etc , with all the new fittings and lines its wel worth the cost .

Comment

did you have to retune with this upgrade?

Comment

Working...
                              X