Yellowstuff pads SCREAMING!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowstuff pads SCREAMING!!!

I bought yellow-stuff pads a few days ago, for my 95 gtst. I put them on with new rotors and they're bedding in nicely .. I think.. Anyways I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has asked this and it prolly wont be the last... They're effing loud! Like really REALLY squealingly ear piercingly screechy loud.... I read on the Inter-web that they can have a mild grinding or noise, but this is incredible!
    Does this noise go away? The Nissan gtr shop in Ajax said that race brakes always squeal, but EBC says that is temporary.

Any insight?
    I'm not too into all the attention that these brake pads create.

Although its a little bit funny when pedestrians stop and cover their ears and wince when I'm stopping at a red light.. -just a little bit
    01 Chevrolet Maliboom-boom (winter BEATER)
    93, 94, 96 Toyota Supras
    95 R33 GTS-T
    04 R44 Raven1 helicopter

The bed in procedure is something that you do within 30 minutes, and follows a specific procedure. Proper bed in will reduce squealing. They may be a little noisy for the first bit, but make sure bed in is done correctly. Also what rotors are you using?
    RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
    http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
    1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

I read the instructions and took some advice from the forums and bedded them in nicely. I live out in the country with. No neighbors so lots of opportunity to slam on the brakes without getting rear ended

I got brembo's version of the oem rotors... Dunno what they're called exactly, but they look just like the oem ones, made by brembo, And I used plenty of brake cleaner on them too,...
      93, 94, 96 Toyota Supras
      95 R33 GTS-T
      04 R44 Raven1 helicopter

Comment

pad shims and some brake paste help allot. High frequency vibrations cause the squeal

Comment

repeatadly brake from 120km/h to 20km/h to get the pads really hot, this will transfer alot of compound onto the rotor and will make them squeal much much less,

as soon as the squealing comes back, do another 120-20 brake test (every 2 weeks or so)
          sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Factory brembo on gts25t...... Probably gtr brakes, or you think the stock brakes are brembos

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
              repeatadly brake from 120km/h to 20km/h to get the pads really hot, this will transfer alot of compound onto the rotor and will make them squeal much much less,

as soon as the squealing comes back, do another 120-20 brake test (every 2 weeks or so)
              This will certainly warp your rotors if you aren't careful. If they turn blue, replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
              -Bruce Lee

Comment

Theyre brembo z32 rotors. Not slotted or drilled, Just plain ol' rotors

They've quieted down a bit after a week, but they're still fairly noisy..
                93, 94, 96 Toyota Supras
                95 R33 GTS-T
                04 R44 Raven1 helicopter

Comment

Originally posted by feyd182 View Post
                  This will certainly warp your rotors if you aren't careful. If they turn blue, replace them.

are you kidding me?
                  this isn't some cheap honda civic brakes
                  and do you know how much heat you need to make rotors turn blue?
                  EBC yellow are similar to Hawk HP+, which has a max temp of 450deg C, and you need at least 800deg C to make rotors go red, then look blue

i've overheated my brakes countless times on the track, and they are still fine, grey looking and straight
                  sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Understood, but constant heat cycling metallic parts does have negative effects. I understand we're talking about aftermarket brakes, trust me I'm good on this. I have personally turned rotors blue and that happened long before they went red. I replace hundreds if not thousands of brakes a year and pretty much every pulsation or scorched rotor is due to excessive heat.
                    Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to be helpful.
                    Try chamfering the edges of your pads down a bit and see if it stops.

Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 05-09-2012, 02:15 AM.
                    1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                    -Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by feyd182 View Post
                      Try chamfering the edges of your pads down a bit and see if it stops.
                      Try doing this if they already aren't chamfered. This is a procedure that most dealership charge for (including mine) to reduce brake squeel. Apply some anti squeel grease to the shims and anywhere it may contact metal (do not contact pad material) and chamfer the edges. Also sand the pad surface on a flat bench if the pads are glazed. I've done this to an r8 and an r8 GT with excessive squeeling and it quieted them right up
                      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Working...
                      X