Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTR rear quarter panel rust options?!?1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTR rear quarter panel rust options?!?1?

The rear qaurter panels are rusting on my 32 gtr and im sure this is a common poroblem on our 20 year old cars . .

Basically id like to know whats the best way to go about getting this fixed.

I Know alot of guys cut out any rust and put the rear spats over top but I don't really like this look. I sure you can buy the full quarters new for $1000 each plus paint and labor :$. Maybe i could get a veilside bumper for around $900 and the side pieces would cover the rust but i still like the oem lines better. Getting some bottom section pieces cut in seemed like the best root to go. Oem look is number 1 imo

I had some cut off pieces that i bought cut from the top of the wheel well back that are in ok shape. I took that and a oem kh2 bumper i wanted put on because the clips are broken on mine to the body shop. Dropped the car off at the shop monday then friday they called to say the work couldn't be done on the car for the anywhere near the estimated price of $1700 and no work was done. They didn't give me a new quote yet. Picked the car up and it had 3km more on the odometer WTF!!! NO reson the car needed to be driven! Luckily i took a video of odometer and car upon drop-off and pick-up I'll see maybe ill have a chat with the owner

So any suggestions wether to cut in and weld new pieces some nice spats or rear bumper OR where i could find some primo full qaurters perferably in kh2 (hahahaha i know good luck with that one) would be greatly appreciated

Or any suggestions on a good body shop in edmonton/spruce grove/stony plain alberta area let me know . . .

Thanks for any help

So would u be interested in selling the cut pieces u have? I'm lookin for drivers side,I'm an idiot cause I had a shell with good rear quarters , but couldn't find time to take them off before the wife made me get rid of it , I'm in Calgary but come to Edmonton pretty often
    Last edited by steveo1502; 06-10-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Being it to Ottawa I'll do it for ya hahah. Don't hide the rust. Gotta fix it or it will just spread.

Comment

try this guy

or newalliance123 has a set was out of my price rang with shipping to ontario
        1991 skyline GTR
        1969 corvette
        1989 cavalier Z24
        1991 skyline GTR
        1985 VW scirocco

Comment

I don't think you want the quarters i have there pretty crappy. Checked out that last ad the quarters were the only thing gone must be a hot item.

Any opinions on the veiside rear bumper with stock everything else, the car has the nismo spats that go in front of the rear wheels. Cars kh2. I Just want to keep a classy look and not sure if this would be to flashy ricey whatever you wanna call it

Comment

Bad cause rust? Or just how there cut? I'm lookin for a cut one, don't want to remove the windows

Comment

New from Nissan is less than $700 with tax and far less hassle than dealing with used pieces.
              Originally posted by Snow
              Sure a condom holds water but you don't see me drinking from one.

Comment

^ i paid about $650 each crated from Nissan, then just cut from where you want.
                “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

either cut it completely and patch it..if done good you can't even tell the difference OR if its not rusted that bad and it can be salvaged then wirebrush it til its completely gone and apply anti rust, high solid primer, then paint over. If you have friends that work in a bodyshop and are willing to help then spend a weekend and strip the whole car from doors back and repaint whole car. Paint for a whole car should cost roughly $1200, thats including borrowing paint booth and sandpaper and YOUR labour.
                  Last edited by blkgtr02; 06-18-2012, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blkgtr02 View Post
                    either cut it completely and patch it..if done good you can't even tell the difference OR if its not rusted that bad and it can be salvaged then wirebrush it til its completely gone and apply anti rust, high solid primer, then paint over. If you have friends that work in a bodyshop and are willing to help then spend a weekend and strip the whole car from doors back and repaint whole car. Paint for a whole car should cost roughly $1200, thats including borrowing paint booth and sandpaper and YOUR labour.
                    What kind of paint are you buying?

Based on DuPont's TDS for their automotive refinish, to do a complete job "properly" will run over $2500 in supplies alone.
                    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

That's ********. You can paint a quarter for under 200 bucks with DuPont. That includes the primer or sealer of it's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by MKIV View Post
                        What kind of paint are you buying?

Based on DuPont's TDS for their automotive refinish, to do a complete job "properly" will run over $2500 in supplies alone.
                        Ah sorry guess I should have stated that lol....We use RM's UnoHD at our shop and I haven't used DuPont before so I can't compare costs, what I mean't is if you know someone that works at a shop that already has all materials and paint its around 1200 at cost for materials alone. Some people don't understand that depending on the color you pretty much have to mix a crapload of colors. Each color is different priced. That's 3M filler/bondo, 3m sandpaper, RM's water based UnoHD base and DC5600 clear coat. If you don't mind me asking though what is considered "proper" paint job according to DuPont?
                        Last edited by blkgtr02; 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X