Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuilding Rb26 throttle body help please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Rb26 throttle body help please!!!

I am in the process of rebuilding and cleaning my throttles. I have the resealing problem sorted, and have a pair of xs shaft seals. My problem is removing the stock seals to place the new ones in. Can someone please provide a bit of directions as to what I need to do to get them out and possibly the shafts as well...?

one bit of advise, do NOT remove the black coating from the throats of the throttle bodies. It looks like a dirt buildup, but it is put there by Hitachi to seal the butterflies. The previous owner did that to my car, and the extra air getting through causes the idle to be up around 1800 RPMs. If you have already made them clean and shiny, hold them up to a light, and you will see an effect sililiar to an eclipse of the sun, dark centre with a ring of light around it.I did not have to change shaft seals, so I can't offer any help there, but I have resealed the butterflies with sensor safe silicone.
    There's no buisness like GO biusness

Comment

Originally posted by R32D2 View Post
      one bit of advise, do NOT remove the black coating from the throats of the throttle bodies. It looks like a dirt buildup, but it is put there by Hitachi to seal the butterflies. The previous owner did that to my car, and the extra air getting through causes the idle to be up around 1800 RPMs. If you have already made them clean and shiny, hold them up to a light, and you will see an effect sililiar to an eclipse of the sun, dark centre with a ring of light around it.I did not have to change shaft seals, so I can't offer any help there, but I have resealed the butterflies with sensor safe silicone.
      Didnt he just say he had the butterflys sealed and soughted?

Tomei throttle coat FTW to reseal them!

Comment

When I did mine they were loose enough that all I had to do was put some pressure on one side with a small screw driver. Then I just popped it out on the opposite side. Hope that made sense. I hope you are prepared for tracking down vac/boost leaks. Hope you have better luck than me.

Comment

P.S. I think Tomei throttle coat is discontiued.

Comment

Throttle Coat is not discontinued, however Tomei is not selling it outside Japan due to shipping restrictions. We can still get it though.
            RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
            http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
            1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

I has some (thanks to daryl) and yes once you clean off the internal coating you have to reseal them . I'll be covering how to do it on my build thread in the GTR section soon (tm)..

The seals are also available but probably not needed unless you disolved them in carb cleaner over night .

Comment

How big of a job is this? Im thinking of going through mine, maybe make it idle a little slower and cure some shuffle. Is there any good guides on this job?

Comment

It isn't a big job provided you can get a set of seals ( which i couldn't) . I have the materials now to make my own , I have been slacking lately because i have been waiting on parts but i will be back in the workshop soon making mine . Ill post progress of the ITB rebuild both in this thread and my original build thread

Comment

I have some tomei throttle seal paste somewhere which refreshes the oiriginal stuff if removed.
                    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                    lol

Comment

I wouldn't mind pulling mine apart when I have some time, check the condition of all the butterflies, make sure they are all opening and closing the same. I have tomei metal gaskets on the engine, are they available individually?

Comment

Cometic also makes metal intake gaskets for the RB26, available at Raw Brokerage. CAUTION: Do NOT remove the black sealant from the inside of the throttle bodies, or you will have a problem with them sealing when closed. This will result in a high idle condition due to the butterflies not sealing when closed. A previous owner did this to mine. When held up to sunlight, you could see a ring of light around the butterflies. Re-sealing them is a pain ,but I found info on how to re-seal on an Australian site. Good luck with it!
                        There's no buisness like GO biusness

Comment

Originally posted by R32D2 View Post
                          Cometic also makes metal intake gaskets for the RB26, available at Raw Brokerage. CAUTION: Do NOT remove the black sealant from the inside of the throttle bodies, or you will have a problem with them sealing when closed. This will result in a high idle condition due to the butterflies not sealing when closed. A previous owner did this to mine. When held up to sunlight, you could see a ring of light around the butterflies. Re-sealing them is a pain ,but I found info on how to re-seal on an Australian site. Good luck with it!

I will google it and see if I can find the same info, I hope mine are still sealed. My idle is always a bit high after driving, but when first started it sits around 800rpm. If a couple were leaking, that could be some food for the shuffle on twins, couldn't it?

Comment

Would removing the black sealant from the throttles cause a high idle? I had an intake leak, took out the manifold to replace gaskets and ended up cleaning some of the throttle bodies...not too sure if I did remove enough to get rid of the black sealant or not. Now, I have a higher idle at cold and it even goes higher when warm like 1200ish. Originally idle perfectly around 950.
                            (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ 1990 BNR32

Comment

Originally posted by Micho View Post
                              Would removing the black sealant from the throttles cause a high idle? I had an intake leak, took out the manifold to replace gaskets and ended up cleaning some of the throttle bodies...not too sure if I did remove enough to get rid of the black sealant or not. Now, I have a higher idle at cold and it even goes higher when warm like 1200ish. Originally idle perfectly around 950.
                              I wouldmt be suprised, what did you clean it with?
                              Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Working...
                              X