X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing

Hi guys

Going to be towing my gtst here in a couple days

I am going to be using a car dolly uhaul. Where 2 wheels are still on the ground.

Just wondering. What would you do. Put the front 2 wheels on the dolly and disconnect the drive shaft?

Or back the rear wheels onto the dolly and just make sure the fronts are straight.

Thanks. Guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

If your car has a manual trans then you should be fine just putting the front wheels on the dolly and leaving the car in neutral, no need to disconnect the driveshaft as both your final drive and trans are lubricated when rotating. Its automatic cars that have to keep trans from turning as it needs the pump to supply lubrication.
    Note: Turbos make torque and torque makes fun

Comment

Yea its a manual. No awd.

Comment

Should be ok, make sure your rear diff is topped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
        -Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo_ChildR32 View Post
          Should be ok, make sure your rear diff is topped up.

So what... tow with front wheels on dolly?

Comment

You can, towing by the rear is also fine. Just make sure to tie the steering wheel straight in case the ignition lock fails. Most tow truck drivers will loop the seatbelt thru the steering wheel and lock it into the latch to hold the wheel.
            I would probly tow from the rear, that way ur rolling on the front bearings and not the rear diff. Make sure to pull off any front lip u may have as well.

Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 08-26-2012, 01:07 PM.
            1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
            -Bruce Lee

Comment

Either way is fine, i personnally think it would its easier with front tires on dolly and car in neutral, assuming all your fluid levels in diff and trans are good like voodoo said, should be no problem oh and just incase....dont leave your hand brake on lol
              but it comes down to personal preference
              Note: Turbos make torque and torque makes fun

Comment

you can not tow a car backwards on a tow dolly it is ILEGAL (in ontario anways) and I wouldn't use a 2 wheel dolly its going to put your car on a steep angle and when travaling down the road it could rub your rear bumper. dont cheap out just get the full trailer and if you have problems loading it cuse your cars lowered, put the jack on the trailer down and jack it as much as you can leving it conected to your towvehicle, this is a technic i use to load lower cars on my trailer.
                good luck
                1991 skyline GTR
                1969 corvette
                1989 cavalier Z24
                1991 skyline GTR
                1985 VW scirocco

Comment

Well a 2 wheel Dolly was my only option so.

I think I may just tow the front wheels up and the rear on the ground and disconnect the drive shaft as that only takes 15 mins to do so.

Comment

might wanna watch for your exhaust also as it will be the closest point to the ground with the front up there.

Comment

Uhaul car trailers are heavy. 2100 lbs empty.
                      Thats likely why the dolly was your only option. What are you towing with?

I tried to put an R32 GTR on a car trailer with my Pajero and was too heavy cause the Paj supposedly has a 5000lb tow cap and tongue weight was way too much..
                      Car dolly works just fine with manual trans GTST, front up on dolly, trans in neutral.
                      You don't need to remove the driveshaft unless you want to for piece of mind.
                      Just unbolt the back section though, cause if you pull it out of the trans, fluid WILL come out the tailstock.

I wouldn't put the back end up there, just adding one more possibility of problems with the steer wheels on the ground.
                      Like everyone saying, just check your clearances once it's on the dolly, especially muffler.

I gots just a bit of experience with towing....lol

Just a little story about towing. My folks are RV'ers, them and all their freinds tow their cars behind their RV's with a tow bar. This leaves all 4 wheels on the ground. One couple with a nice supercharged Mini Cooper were getting something out of the car at a rest stop and knocked the shifter into 2nd GEAR!!
                      Needless to say, after a bunch of smoke and an insurance claim later, they have a new engine, trans, and supercharger in the Mini.

So be careful!!

Rick
                      '89 GTST - SOLD
                      '92 GTR
                      '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
                      '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

towing

How much is the dolly to rent? Front wheels on dolly for sure. No need to disconnect the drive just make sure it's in neutral and ebrake is off.

Last edited by 99_SI; 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

If you tow the car with front wheels up make sure that the rear wheels are straight. When I towed mine after buying it the previous owner had put directional tires on backwards and the wheels were angled left. We couldn't go over 50k the whole way home. An hour and a half drive took nearly 4.5 hours on back roads. The car also went sideways and almost took the van with it twice. If you can rent a full trailer from u-haul. We had a 15$ difference in quote between dolly and full trailer.

Comment

Way to revive an old thread lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X