Did i just waste money..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did i just waste money..??

Hey.. so i've been reading and reading about plugs.. So a couple week sago i bought a set of NGK Iridium BCPREIX-11s.. it wasn't til now when i read about the gapping, and that most people here got the ones without the -11.. Will i have any problems? For the most part he car is stock.. even the previous owner didnt really know what was after market and what isnt.. So i dont know of the boost had been increased..

GTR R32 btw..

You could probably reduce the gap a bit, I sometimes have to take a .89 -8 plug down to proper .8 and that's not too far from you. If you're stock boost and in the right heat range you should have problems at 1.1... it's the stock gap after all.
    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I used to run them when the GTR was stock boost, They will be fine. If you miss at all just close up the gap a bit, maybe to .8mm. Most guys have the best results with the BKR7E coppers when going over stock power levels. They just don't last that long being copper and all.

Comment

The bix says " do not regap".. should i just ignore it?

Comment

DO NOT REGAP IRIDIUMS! Just get the proper size. Regapping coppers are fine. Look closely at how brittle the tip is on that iridium, even if your gapper tool dings it a bit you will have problems down the line.
          97' R33 GT-R Vspec
          Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

ive searched.. but all i can find here in okinawa are the -11's

Comment

Have regapped PFR6A-11 (stock 1.1mm gap) to 0.8mm on my car.

Just have to be aware to not touch / damage the electrode, insulator in the middle (as mentioned above) -

Another option is to up the voltage via HKS Twin Power DLI -

Last edited by Skym; 09-18-2012, 05:31 AM.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Dont know why you wana use the iridiums they suck. The tips always blow off being so brittle.
                gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

Originally posted by leeaspin View Post
                  Dont know why you wana use the iridiums they suck. The tips always blow off being so brittle.
                  Werd.......if you haven't put them in yet, take them back and get coppers. You can re-gap plats and irids all you want, just don't EVER touch the electrode or the ground strap above the electrode. To check the gap use a wire style tool and work with it like you are dis-arming a bomb and you should be fine

If you are stock even with the boost restrictor removed you should be fine with a 1.1mm gap.

Jon.
                  Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

ok.. so im still getting mixed reviews not just here but also from some guy7s here on base.... so all in all what would be the best choice for me for plugs?

Also.. any tips on what to look for when doing an inspection of the bottom when its lifted.. had the car for a month and im doing a full flush along with some preventative maintenance this weekend..

Comment

Stock sparkplug is NGK PFR6A-11 for RB26DETT. If leaning engine out with intake, exhaust mods the cylinder temps are higher, so need a colder tip spark plug (PFR7A). It's recommended to change heat range every 75-100hp or if engine runs leaner (colder tip) or richer (hotter tip).

Read this about heat range -

FAQ about NGK brand sparkplugs is here -

Gap is reduced to around 0.8mm because stock ignition system isn't producing enough spark at higher rpm with higher than stock boost levels (prevents missing / spark getting blown out at higher rpm that can damage coilpacks, something I learnt the hardway). If want to keep stock 1.1mm gap you fit HKS Twin Power DLI to up the voltage of stock ignition system. You can play with dwell settings on ECU, but it shortens lifespan of coilpacks.
                      Last edited by Skym; 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                      X