Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC recharge?

Hi

So ya. I know the freon on these cars is older and should not be recharged or vented etc etc

But is there anyway to recharge them at all? Without having to do a full conversion to the new style freon?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

I bought the adapters to convert our existing AC connections to R134 I think it is. I think they have them at Partsource. I used the AC machine at work, evacuated and filled my system. It works flawlessly. I have a black GTR so AC is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM.
    1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
    -Bruce Lee

Comment

Voodoo. OK. So Thanks

Soooo if I understand this... its easy to convert?

So all we do is change some connectors and we can go to at lordco/part source and get the recharge bottles and charge the system?

Comment

I just hooked my regular a/c recharge kit from napa onto the low side of my ac system, started it up, put the ac on full blast and put a can of 134 in, Worked great now my a/c blows ice cold on the hottest days...

Didn't need an adapter or anything, and it's all the stock system.
        It didn't blow any cold at ALL before...

Good luck
        01 Chevrolet Maliboom-boom (winter BEATER)
        93, 94, 96 Toyota Supras
        95 R33 GTS-T
        04 R44 Raven1 helicopter

Comment

so do i have to have the current freon emptied before i can use this recharge kit? thats the only think im confused about right now... some instructions dont say anything about emptying it and others say that it needs to be done my a pro... not sure which one to believe

Comment

Originally posted by h4X6 View Post
            so do i have to have the current freon emptied before i can use this recharge kit? thats the only think im confused about right now... some instructions dont say anything about emptying it and others say that it needs to be done my a pro... not sure which one to believe
            By law you should have the old R12 (freon) remove first before you put in R134 or R12A, because if you have mixed refrigerant in your system then the gas can not be recycled and/or disposed properly.

Comment

It's easy to convert, just the fittings are different. Honestly took me an hour to do the whole process.

-Bruce Lee

Comment

When did they switch over to 134? I heard it was 94, not sure though. I have an issue with my compressor, it only seems to work when it wants. I can leave it on for two hours driving around and then it will finally kick in. Blows decently cold when it does. Then if I turn off the ac on the climate control the compressor won't shut off. Any ideas?

Sent from a potato
                BNR32- Sold
                1998 Evolution V

Comment

I didn't drain n e thing Mixed it I guess...

Just Filled it up and shapoooof! Cold air fantasticness.
                  01 Chevrolet Maliboom-boom (winter BEATER)
                  93, 94, 96 Toyota Supras
                  95 R33 GTS-T
                  04 R44 Raven1 helicopter

Comment

Sure it's not the actuator on the passenger side floor? Shuts a little door for hot/cold air. Sounds like my car, if I just push on the wires a bit, the door will open and cold air right away

Comment

No I can hear nine opening and closing. I think I have a more serious issue. I recharged the system and barely any difference. Its maybe a bit cooler.

I think somethings wrong with the compressor.

Comment

Sounds same as mine, refilled it like 3 times, and no difference.you can hear the vents changing from floor to vent or defrost, but there's another actuator on passenger side, is the one you hear on the drivers side?

Comment

tell you the truth never really paid attention as to what side i am hearing the movements from... i will tmw...

one thing too i noticed is the fan on the very from of the rad part isnt turning on at all either... im not sure how to diagnosis this any further....

if i set my temp to 18' its warm air coming out, even with the AC button on... but if i hold down the cold button till i have FC appear, thats when i feel a bit of cold coming out... otherwise its either warm air or hot (depending on the temp thats set)

Comment

Yup, I'm pretty sure it's that actuator, bad connection I guess, mine felt like hot and cold at the same time, guess the door opens half way,I haven't really looked at mine, even when driving I can reach down there and push the wires, get it to blow cold. If u look down there you can see it move

Comment

If the system is overfull it will not cool properly and in most cases blow warm air.

An easy way to check if the compressor is working is to watch the clutch on the pulley. It should engage and disengage periodically with the a/c on.
                              The cooling fan on the front will only kick in when the refrigerant gets hot, mine kicks in and out as required.

Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 09-25-2012, 08:43 PM.

-Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X