help with annoying rattle in trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with annoying rattle in trunk

so im having this annoying rattle comming from the passenger side trunk area. it sound like a bunch of keys being shaken. i removed one of the trunk pannel and found that by hitting the area highlighed in the picture i could replicate the rattle. my question is what exacely is behind there? its being held by 2 screws and the brackets. i tried sneaking my hands behind there and it was a box with some electric wires. any help is appreciated thanks.

I can't remember what that's for exactly. Guessing the processor for HICAS or oem stereo amplifier. Someone on here will remember.
    I assume you removed the tool bag before hitting the area in qustion?
    Also you could try removing the electrical box (whatever it's for), putting some Dynomat or equivilant behind it to keep it from rattling.
    Are you able to verify nothing has fallen down between the quarters and the trunk floor?
    Just spit ballin'.

Comment

ya i was thinking of removing it but i just wanna see what its for first.

Comment

do you have your jack tightened in there? mine would always bang around so i just turned to knob till the jack opened enough that i was snug in there.
        Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

ya everything is tight, ill try to check if something fell below but im almost sure its that box.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
            I can't remember what that's for exactly. Guessing the processor for HICAS or oem stereo amplifier. Someone on here will remember.
            On GTS, GTR those ECU's are located under parcel tray (where rear speakers are located). I think same with speaker amp (in the middle???).
            Last edited by Skym; 10-22-2012, 03:40 AM.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

double checked again, nothing fell below the tools, ive even removed the jack and tools and still does the same noise. i hear it basically when im driving over rough roads comming from the passenger side rear speaker area. only culprit i can see is that box or something arround the speakers cause its still pretty loud inside the cabin so maybe something under the speakers cover.

i need to remove the seats to get it off right?

Comment

Sometimes the board that sits over top of spare space saver tyre bounces around and hits chassis right under the parcel tray (scratches paint off). I make sure it sits under trim on rear of trunk which makes it quiet (stops bouncing around). Another is bumper can break it's mount on lower part of rear bumper on left or right side and rattle around (needs to reglued back on to plastic part of bumper). I have had the jack, tools rattle (common problem).

Long time since I have removed seats, but from what I can remember, lift front of bottom seat which unclips it from chassis and it pops up, then remove from car. Then undo bolts that hold on back of seat in place (I think at the bottom on both sides) and remove from car. Should be able to easily access parcel tray cover from there.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

thanks for your help. will strip the thing to find where its comming from if needed, i hate having rattles.

Comment

Use expanding foam sealer... Might not look pretty but I guarantee it'll stop the noise, no ones gonna be poking their head back there anyways
                    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Isn't that the power antenna that you're indicating in your pic?

Comment

Have you looked underneath? Broken swaybar links can rattle like that. On an r32 the Hicas and stereo amp are under the rear parcel shelf as indicated above. Hicas is on the driver side and the amp is mounted in the middle.
                        I would also check the springs for your trunk lid, are they all in place? Lastly I'd look at the strut mount, make sure it's tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                        -Bruce Lee

Comment

sorry i havent updated this thread but i found the problem. there was a broken piece inside the plastic trim arround the rear window. Probably broke off and became loose on the inside. thanks for your help everyone.
                          Last edited by GODSPEED; 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

can you post a pic of it?, i'm having the same problem, i checked my coilover top plate, wasn't it, then removed the box, which is the timer for the rear windown defroster, wasn't it, wasn't the jack nor the strut mount, i'm at a dead end .... and can't take it anymore!!
                            sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

sure will do. that was the most annoying thing ever lol, hopefully you'll find the cause.

Comment

Working...
                              X