gts4t, trouble reversing when in 4wd, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gts4t, trouble reversing when in 4wd, please help

hi all i own a 1990 r32 gts4t, i have a switch to run 4wd and rwd, lately when i have the car in 4wd i have been having trouble when trying to reverse, seems to reverse fine in a straight line but when i reverse on a slight angle or turn while in reverse it feels like the back wheels arent moving and are just staying still( like the back brakes are on), if i keep reversing it feels the car cant go no more stops and then feels like a rubber band is flinging me forward, i have taken it into several garages locally but no one can seem to tell me whats going on without spending alot of money, has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any suggestion? cheers

Look for broken or sloppy u joints and cv joints. Does it make any unusual noises while backing up? Could also be a park brake sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
    -Bruce Lee

Comment

nope no unusual noises and i checked u joints today, there fine, if it were a park brake sticking wouldnt it do it when in rwd too? will have to get someone to help me check cvs as im not sure how to do that, what would i look for, i also talked to a friend of mine today who said it could be the front diff? he told me to drain the oil and check for any fileings? could it be the diff, if so then why is it only doing it when i reverse on a angle and not when going in a straight line? thanks

Comment

Transfer case problem is where I'd put my money on. It's the only part that would cause problems in 4wd but not in rwd.

Might want to start by draining checking and changing the transfer case fluid. Possibly the clutch packs are done or stuck, or the engagement system for the clutches is malfunctioning
        “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Sounds like a diff is locking up.
          Favorites
          lucky_cefiro
          you\'re not listening
          entelijint
          stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
          mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
          Originally posted by specialedition
          He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Does it happen in all forms of reversing or only under power? If you were to, say, let the car roll backward with the AWD on and shifter in reverse but don't let the clutch out, does it still do that?

My car will bind up a little if I spin the tires a little backing up while turning, however, it will release and not pitch me forward again. Keep an eye on your front torque gauge, the whole time you feel binding there should be something showing on the gauge. If it is showing torque transfer you have an electronics issue (check the ATESSA computer for codes to start with), If not you have serious mechanical issues in the transfer case because its not releasing after the pressure has been let go.

Jon.
            Last edited by Dragon Humper; 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
            X