ABS/4WD/HICAS lights ALWAYS on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS/4WD/HICAS lights ALWAYS on

So I picked up an R32 GTR the other day. The 4wd and abs lights are on all the time, havent seen them go out yet. Key in ignition, switch to the on position, I can hear the fuel pump priming but NOT the 4wd pump. After i start the car, and drive for about 10 minutes the HICAS light comes on. Not really concerned about the hicas just the abs/4wd. Ive done a bit of reading, and heres what ive done so far:

-Checked all the fuses in drivers footwell, all of them including 4WD are good!
    -Checked Fuses under hood, all seem to be good
    -Taken battery terminals off, pressed brake pedal for 10 seconds, reconnected. (resetting ecu ?) did nothing
    -Had battery tested, Rated for 560 CCA, measured out at over 600. Battery is good.
    -Cleaned both posts on battery with a terminal cleaner, nice clean tight terminals.
    -My ATTESSA computer does not have a flashing LED, Not throwing any codes ?
    -(Power steering/HICAS) resirvior in the trunk is right on max, so the level is good.
    -I jumped the two big wires coming from the little relay for the 4WD pump, and when i bridge them I can hear the 4WD pump priming, pump must be good.
    -When I manually close the relay, i can also hear the 4WD pump prime itself, so i guess the relay is good too ? Or could it be toast...not sure
    -I cleaned grounds on back of spark plug cover thing (silver box)

Im not really sure what else to look for, Im very new to this car, but have done some of the easier stuff that I know how too. If someone on here has some more ideas on what to check (G-sensors ? ABS/Wheel speed sensors ?) And how to check them (voltages ?) Any info would be really appreciated, REALLY wanna feel the car with the AWD working, thankyou to everyone who helps me out ! Remember im new, dont call me an idiot please

The abs wheel sensor is on the spindle like regular abs sensor ... You suppos to have the red light on the attesa ecu you put the car on ??? If not maybee the light is burn never saw this because without the ecu good luck to found the trouble. you have the bubble ( air line in the rear reservoire in the trunk)??? Sorry for my english and the plug in the lick panel that you said you hear the pump is for the air in the reservoire in the trunk

Comment

Originally posted by bnrnissan View Post
      Remember im new, dont call me an idiot please
      You're far from being one for having done all that diagnosing. It could be speed sensors since HICAS takes into account speed to engage but I don't remember if it was speedo speed or ABS wheel sensor speed. But the ECU should give you a code for a bad a speed sensor, so maybe your issue is electrical. Keep in mind that ABS piggybacks on the AWD; if AWD fails ABS goes off too.

BTW, the reservoir at the back is not PS, its ATF fluid for the ATTESA pump. Hicas PS fluid comes from the front reservoir, the piping runs from the driver side of the engine block (solenoid) to the back (steering rack). Also, check its level as low fluid makes the HICAS warning light up. They could very well be separate issues.
      1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I am having the Same issue, test your Attessa ecu for power.. if you give me ur email i will give you access to my google drive of all skyline information. I have narrowed it down to a ground issue... test for ground on the fuse box under the hood. and work ur way back.

Comment

same here having the same problem and i also think its an ground issue..

Comment

It sounds like what's affecting HICAS is also affecting ABS, 4wd (stating the obvious). I know when alternator is on the way out it triggers HICAS light, so might affect ABS, 4wd as well. HICAS ECU looks at speed of car, steering angle sensor behind steering wheel. So speedo cable (or bad connection into plugs from dash, etc, which is common with Nissan's) is one area to look at that HICAS, 4wd / ABS ECU should look at and alternator.

Also there's a tooth drive near diffhead and speed sensors x4, G sensor under centre console that 4wd / ABS ECU (ECU on passenger side of car, under rear parcel tray) looks at.
            Last edited by Skym; 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Well I seem to have figured the problem out! A good friend of mine also owns an r32 gtr, so i thought just for the hell of it, ill try his ATTESSA ECU in my car, see if it makes any difference. And VOILA ! WE swapped computers and No abs, no 4wd, and no Hicas Lights on at all ! Drove around for half an hour with his ecu in my car and all was well, had torque going to the front wheels and everything! Felt very good to finally figure out the problem, just need to get my hands on an attessa computer now lol..... probably easier said than done

Comment

I need to find someone i can borrow one from

Comment

hey wheres the attesa ecu locateted on the gtr..

Comment

In your trunk. There may be some audio boxes there, but it's attached to the top.
                    Originally posted by hp44incgtr View Post
                    hey wheres the attesa ecu locateted on the gtr..

Comment

alright thanks found it already..

Comment

Originally posted by bnrnissan View Post
                        Well I seem to have figured the problem out! A good friend of mine also owns an r32 gtr, so i thought just for the hell of it, ill try his ATTESSA ECU in my car, see if it makes any difference. And VOILA ! WE swapped computers and No abs, no 4wd, and no Hicas Lights on at all ! Drove around for half an hour with his ecu in my car and all was well, had torque going to the front wheels and everything! Felt very good to finally figure out the problem, just need to get my hands on an attessa computer now lol..... probably easier said than done
                        Get a hold of Kunio at GTR Garage on here.
                        He's the man for used parts like that out of Japan, and you'd likely faint at the cost of a new one..

Rick
                        '89 GTST - SOLD
                        '92 GTR
                        '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
                        '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

I found out the cost of the new one $899. Not as bad as i thought

Comment

Originally posted by rob_96 View Post
                            I found out the cost of the new one $899. Not as bad as i thought
                            Still !! $899 is crazy lol I cant afford that ! Id try used ones before I shelled out close to a grand for a new one

Comment

Working...
                            X