Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window switch and other electrical

Hey all,

I recently towed my car across Canada after it being parked in Montreal in for 2.5 years. After bringing it to Vancouver, I went through all the hoops and got it inspected, insured and plated. The only thing that wasn't working properly back then was my windows. No window operation at all. I brought the car to a friend since I thought it was an electrical problem and I am complete **** with electrical, and he found out it the window switches were just unplugged inside the doors. Kind of odd, since they worked when I left Montreal? Anyway he plugged everything back up and presto blam o my windows work again. About 2 weeks later I went for a drive, brought my driver window down and it just would not go back up. I took the door panel off, and because I don't know any better, I just started jumping every pin in the door switch connector to every other pin trying to get SOMETHING to happen. Nothing. Finally I found a plug that seemed a bit loose, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the window went up. Unfortunately it looks like my little pin to pin experiment might have done way more harm than good. I think I blew 4-5 fuses. My gauge lights don't come on, my climate control stopped working and...

I found out today that that wasn't actually what fixed it. I was driving to work and kept getting high beamed, so I rolled down my window and buddy pulled up and told me my tail lights weren't on. I said thanks and tried to roll the window up... nothing. When I got to work, I pulled the door panel off and fiddled with that same plug and nothing happened. Window still wouldn't go up. I couldn't leave my car out in the rain so I drove back home. Of course, on the way home I flicked the switch and the window rolled itself up.

Now I'm sitting here trying to figure out what's going on, I could really use a break! Does anyone know how to manually raise a window if it gets stuck???? Does anyone have a diagram that could help me?

Thanks

Disconnect the window motor and apply power and ground directly to the connector of the window motor. Applying 12V one way will raise the window , reversing the leads will lower it. If when applying 12V u don't see window go up STOP. Reverse the leads and should go up. Holding power applied to the motor at the end of window travel could potentially fry the motor. No manual method available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 99_SI View Post
      Disconnect the window motor and apply power and ground directly to the connector of the window motor. Applying 12V one way will raise the window , reversing the leads will lower it. If when applying 12V u don't see window go up STOP. Reverse the leads and should go up. Holding power applied to the motor at the end of window travel could potentially fry the motor. No manual method available.

First off, thanks for the tip! I'll try that, but how do I get to the motor? I couldn't see any way of reaching it when I had the panel off?

Comment

Window switch and other electrical

I guess peel the weather membrane once panel is off and then look around and see where the wires come out of the motor and go the connector. If it's tucked away, the connecter/motor, might need jumper leads to bring the wires out to where you can apply power and ground safely without shorting anything out. You got an R32 I assume?

Last edited by 99_SI; 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

try this
          1991 gtr, rwd 2Jz vtti swap, fast and fun~~

Comment

I have a spare window switch and it looks like we're both in maple ridge .
            Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

Comment

Working...
            X