Electric question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric question

I had an electric problem in my r32 gtr since i bought it. The problem is the battery keeps discharging until the battery is dead. 48h and the battery is completly dead. Its not the battery,alternator, sound system,alarm system. And i dont feel like taking the car apart to find it. So what i want to do is install a kill switch that when i turn it off, its like i disconnect the battery. So the question is:

What gauge size wire i would need and what fuse size?

Thanks

Installing a "kill switch" is just putting a band-aid on you problem imo.
    I'm curious to know whay measures you took to eliminate your alarm, stereo ect. from the equation. Usually these are the causes of battery drains.

Comment

Well its a time consuming process that took a few days. For sound system i unplug the big 4 gauge wire that goes from battery to amps. Still drained dead. For alarm system i remove the black box under the dash. Still drained. And i went to a garage and had them test the new battery( yes i changed it) and alternator. They said that with their readings were good.

Comment

I also tried removing all the fuses in dash and leave it 24h. There was still a drain. I did the same with the ones in the hood with same result

Comment

And i know that the kill switch is like a band aid on the problem but its much less annoying than poppin the hood every night to ung plug the battery and plug it back next morning

Comment

Well, based on what you wrote, I bet it has to do with your car stereo. All you unplugged is the power cable to the amps, but stereos have a remote wire that runs to constant power to keep the memory going. So does your cars clock, and a/c. If that circuit is loaded with something that isn't remotely switched, then it will turn on, and stay on when the battery is charged, until it is discharged.
            Just my 2 cents.
            Kevin S.

Current: 1992 Skyline GT-R (on the way!)
            EX - 1995 BMW E36 M3
            EX - 1993 Silvia S14 w/S15 Front
            EX - 1990 Skyline GTS-T Type M

Comment

Its an aftermarket stereo. Theres 2 amps, 1 for speaker and 1 for subwoofer. Theres one 4 gauge power that splits into two 6gauge wire for each amp. So if i unplug the 4 gauge at the battery, theres no power to the amps...

Comment

well you are aware that you have the best electric guy in the skyline field in canada who live 15 minutes south of montreal ? you know that right ?
                Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Trunk bulb staying on is a common cause of this on R32's....
                  '89 GTST - SOLD
                  '92 GTR
                  '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
                  '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                    Its an aftermarket stereo. Theres 2 amps, 1 for speaker and 1 for subwoofer. Theres one 4 gauge power that splits into two 6gauge wire for each amp. So if i unplug the 4 gauge at the battery, theres no power to the amps...
                    That's fine, don't read what I wrote.
                    Good luck, might as well pay someone to figure it out proper.
                    Kevin S.

Current: 1992 Skyline GT-R (on the way!)
                    EX - 1995 BMW E36 M3
                    EX - 1993 Silvia S14 w/S15 Front
                    EX - 1990 Skyline GTS-T Type M

Comment

Originally posted by cobrAA View Post
                      well you are aware that you have the best electric guy in the skyline field in canada who live 15 minutes south of montreal ? you know that right ?
                      And who/where is that?

Comment

I'm going to guess he's talking about Robin at Almasi Tuning in Delson. 1-514-667-0808
                        I drove over 14 hours to have him tune my car 2 years in a row. The guy is GREAT.

Comment

In the mean time, any answer to my question =p?

Comment

Try unhooking your head unit as someone else suggested. If the remote wire isn't connected properly it'll have a continuous draw.
                            Another old school trouble shooting trick (not 100% accurate) is pull one fuse at a time and which ever fuse arcs when you pull it is the one that has the draw on it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                              Try unhooking your head unit as someone else suggested. If the remote wire isn't connected properly it'll have a continuous draw.
                              Another old school trouble shooting trick (not 100% accurate) is pull one fuse at a time and which ever fuse arcs when you pull it is the one that has the draw on it.
                              I did both with no results. Its not for fun i want to install a kill switch, i tried many things with no results.
                              So what wire size and fuse i need?

Comment

Working...
                              X