Name That Bolt!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name That Bolt!!!

I messed up and broke the head off this bolt tightening it back up anyone know what it's for? (rb26)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

HI it for bleeding the coolant system to get the air out

Comment

That's what I thought but when I had it taken out it had suction and couldn't get coolant to come out. If undone while running it would create a bit of a high idle and the engine would die when I put my finger over it to bock the suction.

Its weird

Comment

If its really for bleeding the coolant system, having vacuum there affecting your rpm, means either a busted headgasket or cracked head.

Comment

^ well that has me worried lol

What could have happened was I had read the bleeder screw hole gets blocked with debris and to clear it out with a drill bit. Since I couldn't get coolant to come out that's what I did.

Could I have drilled through part of the inner working of the balancing tube ( the part the bleeder screw whole is on) I couldn't find any details on the inner workings of the balancing tube. Are there two chambers one for coolant and one with vacuum? Maybe I could have pierced the barrier between the two chambers?

I currently can stick a small bit 1 1/4 inches into the bleeder screw hole just with my hand. Can also get a piece of wire to push to the left down the balance tube a little.
          Could someone please try this and tell me if theirs is the same??? It's super easy.

Comment

Let's clear things up.

1- What was your original problem the you were trying to fix? I'm guessing a low coolant level
            2- Did you find/fix any leaks before filling/bleeding the system?
            3- Was the idle/vacuum problem there before you started drilling?

A "yes" on 3rd question, like i said, points to head/gasket problem. You can try removing the spark plugs to see if some of them are
            more "white" than the rest. Normal color should be a chocolate brown.

Comment

1-No original problem just doing regular maintenance coolant flush.
              2-No leaks
              3- For as long as a can remember the car has always idled around 1200 rpm not sure if this is a "problem". There was no vacuum/airflow or coolant coming out of the bleeder while filling it. Then I drilled out the whole for debris now there is a vacuum from the bleeder whole.

I will check my plugs sometime in the next couple days, thank you for the suggestion.

Could previous owner poor coolant maintenance cause buildup to block a valve or line in the coolant system cause this. But the coolant did come out clean.

Comment

Ok, the problem started after drilling, so you most likely went to far and done some damage to the head. Its hard to tell without a close-up of the area where you drillled. You can try looking for someone that can weld aluminium and fix the damage.

If not, replacing the head will be the only alternative.

Comment

replace head ???..... what hole you have drilled????

Comment

I definitely did not drill into the head. The coolant bleeder I drilled into is on the balance tube its separate from the head. I do think I was correct clearing the debris but then again I could have damaged the inside of the balance tube.

So I could have damaged the balance tube or I was correct and unblocked the bleeder hole (which no coolant would come out of) just exposing the problem of there being suction from the bleeder hole.

I would just replace the balance tube to rule out damage but that means taking of the intake plenum replacing gaskets etc.

Would anyone mind undoing the bleeder bolt and sticking a small 1/8 bit in by hand to see how far it goes. mine goes 1 1/4 inches. I'll send you a bit of beer money if u like

Comment

Sorry from your story i thought you drilled the broken off bolt in the head so you could use an extractor to pull it out and replace it.

Comment

Sorry to say but you drilled through your water jacket and into a port or the vacuum cavity or something like that. I'm not sure that can be fixed. I would have to check my head but I think you now need a new head. Mucho Dinero $$$. I was looking at some head sectionals I found and that is what I think you did. When you run it now , it will suck the coolant out and run it right into the cylinders.
                        " Using Fast and Honda in the same sentence is an Oxymoron "

Comment

Nope definitely did not drill into the head. The coolant bleeder is on the balance tube not the head itself. So I could have done damage to the balance tube.

If someone has an rb26 laying around could you please undo the coolant bleeder bolt and measure how far a 1/8th bit will go in. Mine goes in 1 1/4 inches.

The coolant bleeder can be seen in the link in the first post of this thread. It is the bolt directly above the gold label that says something like "do not open when hot". Its a little bit to the left and up from the fuel pressure regulator when looking at the engine from the drivers side. thanks for all the input guys!!

I'll post up some pictures of a balance tube to clear up that its not part of the head

Comment

Working...
                          X