RB20 Cam Sensor Whining?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB20 Cam Sensor Whining?

I just recently did the water pump and timing belt on my RB20DET. Shortly after I got a whining sound from the engine bay, which at first I thought was either the power steering or alternator belt being too tight. After checking a few things with my mechanics stethoscope (AKA screwdriver to my ear), I found the noise is actually coming from the cam angle sensor.

Is this a common problem, or did I screw it up somehow putting the 3 bolts back in? Also, does anyone have one for sale?
    92 GTS-4

If bolt the CAS down unevenly it can make noises. Usually stuffs the 2x bearings inside (from memory, NTN brand, but can see brand, part number on side of bearing). Replacing the bearings is difficult, as have to remove the locking pin, pull the bearing off the shaft with a bearing puller, etc without damaging the electronics. It's easier to just replace the CAS.
    Last edited by Skym; 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Cool, thanks Skym, you really know your stuff!
      92 GTS-4

Comment

You're welcome.

Also check the black plastic seal piece behind CAS, as the CAS can catch on that and not sit properly or turn fully. From memory, can buy this seal new from Nissan.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
        X