painting your intercooler black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting your intercooler black

Check out the link. So if you paint your intercool black.......

Thoughts ???

painting your intercooler black

MCM did it, works but then it doesn't. Lol check out their YouTube vids on it

When I get mine I will be painting it black, but to keep a stock look only.
    Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

Mine is black now but needs touch ups. Trying to decide if I should replace it with aftermarket or stick with the stock and repaint.....

Comment

By painting it you reduce it's heat synching ability. Not sure by how much but the less resistance there is to air (coatings like paint vs bare) the better it works.
        No build thread.
        1991 nissan
        El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Very interesting how it works. Would have expected bare aluminum to work better than painted black
          Last edited by R32_Shawno; 12-03-2014, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Felt I should chime in.

Heat transfer in a fluid environment has three components: radiation, conduction and convection. Painting it black brings the radiative heat transfer component closer to an ideal blackbody; you thus expel more heat by radiation when you're not in a convective environment and exposed to a cooler surface, that is, at rest. Convection, the thermal mechanism by which a fluid flow exchanges heat with a surface is by far the best way to transfer heat. Though this is mostly due to advection (the removal of heat from of the surface by the constant-temperature flow), it still contains a conduction component. Paint would add more resistance to this small portion of convection.

So daily driver, stop and go: black. Track, no stop all go: bare.
            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Exactly what I was about to say^
              - Adam

:
              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Awesome explanation marusGTR. Thank you. Mine will be mostly road driving and a little bit of track. So I think I will just keep the stock intercooler and repaint it black.

Should I run all solid piping to and from the intercooler? Or Silicone ?
                Have been looking around for kits and would appreciate opinions.

Thanks

Comment

I would spray a Boron Nitride Thermal coating (light? grey? colour) instead of black. Can result in 5-9 degree drop in inlet temperature (testing on a Skyline). Similar results to after upgrading intercooler size. It can be applied to diffheads, transmissions, brake calipers, etc. Commonly used on racecars (including Skyline racecars).

Hard pipes stop expansion, contraction of the hose joiners or rubber pipes with higher boost levels.

On GTS engines the rubber pipe before turbo can collapse above 1 bar, usually with a bigger turbo and causes the turbo, engine to be restricted. Fitting a hardpipe with 2x joiners, 4x hose clamps solves this problem.

I think Nismo sells a intake hard pipe kit for RB26. So do many others, like HKS, etc. I think the piping kit is fitted with Nismo, HKS, etc turbo's that are bigger.
                  Last edited by Skym; 12-03-2014, 07:20 PM.
                  RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Hmm that's cool! right out of google search or are you an engineer? lol

Where can you buy this boron nitride paint?
                    No build thread.
                    1991 nissan
                    El terror

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
                      Hmm that's cool! right out of google search or are you an engineer? lol

Where can you buy this boron nitride paint?
                      The man above with the many likes is I think a engineer. I was looking for a way to make the intercooler more efficient without the need to upgrade it and stumbled onto the product below, which can be applied to many parts on a car.

You can buy Boron Nitride thermal coating from TSD in Japan (not sure on who is the local distributor in Canada) -

Also it shows the 550hp RB20DET powered SuperGT racecar with it applied to the intercooler, gearbox. He noticed some good results from using that thermal coating, which is mentioned in his blog.

Here's the technical info, testing data on a Skyline with RB25DET engine -

Last edited by Skym; 12-05-2014, 09:49 AM.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

This is a good companion video to the Mighty Car Mods one:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mmmXTbLP0

Comment

really appreciate all the info and links from everyone. Great to see all the effort by everyone. Im new to this whole forum thing and I am enjoying it so far. Cheers everyone

Comment

This guy explains things very well in a simple and easy way to understand.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mmmXTbLP0

Comment

I'd totally do this if the paint thickness didn't reduce passage sizes to allow less air through, into my engine bay... I already struggle with airflow as is. Cooling the intake charge ain't a problem. .
                              No build thread.
                              1991 nissan
                              El terror

Comment

Working...
                              X