R35 MAF in Legacy Skylines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R35 MAF in Legacy Skylines

Is anyone currently running R35 mafs in their r32/33/34? There's several companies that offer adapter kits and new harnesses but I'm trying to find the most inexpensive option. Way cheaper than a Nismo or Z32 maf upgrade btw.

Good link showing just how many cars Phoenix Power has tuned using the R35 mafs. Can't read Kanji though so not sure what their impressions were.
    http://www.phoenixs.co.jp/bigsite/rb...rb26dett_4.htm
    Last edited by louis110; 01-22-2015, 09:05 PM.

I think JapanDyno has a kit for 80mm, including harness, piping and the AFM itself. But that is 80mm, for Z32 afm size

Comment

Originally posted by leung23c View Post
      I think JapanDyno has a kit for 80mm, including harness, piping and the AFM itself. But that is 80mm, for Z32 afm size
      Do you know who has an rb26 specific kit? I know Mines and Pro Stock do. Feast directed me towards the Apexi kit but I think they only have the 80mm size.

Comment

I just looked at the Japan Dyno kit and it looks like they only have universal adapters. I need something that'll bolt onto my Apexi filters.

Comment

Another thing is you need to adjust the r35 afm voltage/air flow corresponding map.

The AFM itself is just a plug. Maybe you can have a machinist to make a custom one.

Comment

Right. I'm just looking for MAF solutions and alternatives to the Z32/Nismo route for when I finish my turbo swap and have my car tuned. I have a Z32 maf on my parts shelf right now, but I don't think there's an adapter out there that will allow me to use them with my Apexi intakes.

Comment

One concern: the r35 factory afm voltage/air flow map is calculated using a 80mm, which is the factory diameter of R35/Z32 piping. If you swap the r35 afm from r35 piping to a z32 piping which is the same 80mm diameter I think it is safe to assume the map will work out correctly. However if you swap the r35 afm from a 80mm piping to a rb26 afm piping, which is 65mm, will the factory r35 afm map correspond correctly?

Better talk to tuners.

Comment

Problem is I bet you nobody in Canada has done this mod yet, so I'd be surprised to find a tuner that has experience and will know what to expect. I'm sure it's really not a concern though. Lots of Japanese tuners are using stock sized adapters. At the end of the day, the tuner will utilize and make the best of whatever the setup is.

Comment

Why bother?

If you are running that much power to warrent an R35 AFM it would be far more effective just to switch to VE tuning (map). What kind of ECM you have?

Comment

Many tuners prefer MAF to MAP. Check with your tuner. Which turbos are you running? You may not need larger MAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by R32-90 View Post
                      Why bother?

If you are running that much power to warrent an R35 AFM it would be far more effective just to switch to VE tuning (map). What kind of ECM you have?
                      Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                      Many tuners prefer MAF to MAP. Check with your tuner. Which turbos are you running? You may not need larger MAFs.
                      I'm switching to Nismo Lemans turbos and looking to have a 450whp setup. I already have a PFC L-jetro that I want to utilize which is why I'm sticking with the MAFs.

Comment

Nistune can run R35 MAF, but from what I understand to get it to work required software changes that I don't think Apexi have adjusted for so far with their tuning software (might have with Datalogit?).

The bonus of the R35 GTR MAF sensor is it's not affected by reversion (air reversing direction from turbo when backing off throttle and turbo slows down). From what I can remember from looking at the sensor design, it seems to allow air in the middle of the sensor in one direction only and vents out both sides. So air travelling in the opposite direction shouldn't enter the holes on the side of the sensor and affect the readings.

The old style R32, R33, R34 MAF sensor is exposed both ways, so reversion can affect it.

Also the R35 GTR MAF sensor is rated to around 550hp vs around 480hp with Z32 MAF. The R35 GTR MAF sensor is used on other models in the US, I think 350Z (double check with part numbers). So should be able to get R35 GTR style MAF sensor cheaper in the US if use the 350Z MAF sensor (double check with part numbers).
                        Last edited by Skym; 01-23-2015, 10:26 PM.
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I still have oem MAFs and R34 N1s at 16.5lbs and rarely get close to maxing out my MAFs.
                          That equates to 427whp on 91 octane. I think you'll be safe with stock MAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
                            Nistune can run R35 MAF, but from what I understand to get it to work required software changes that I don't think Apexi have adjusted for so far with their tuning software (might have with Datalogit?).

The bonus of the R35 GTR MAF sensor is it's not affected by reversion (air reversing direction from turbo when backing off throttle and turbo slows down). From what I can remember from looking at the sensor design, it seems to allow air in the middle of the sensor in one direction only and vents out both sides. So air travelling in the opposite direction shouldn't enter the holes on the side of the sensor and affect the readings.

The old style R32, R33, R34 MAF sensor is exposed both ways, so reversion can affect it.

Also the R35 GTR MAF sensor is rated to around 550hp vs around 480hp with Z32 MAF. The R35 GTR MAF sensor is used on other models in the US, I think 350Z (double check with part numbers). So should be able to get R35 GTR style MAF sensor cheaper in the US if use the 350Z MAF sensor (double check with part numbers).
                            I shot Vex an email about whether or not the PFC will work with the R35 mafs, but in a previous email they said they mainly tune map setups. But I really like the idea of using newer tech and a more robust design. I've had to swap out my oem mafs several times now due to hesitation issues.
                            Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                            I still have oem MAFs and R34 N1s at 16.5lbs and rarely get close to maxing out my MAFs.
                            That equates to 427whp on 91 octane. I think you'll be safe with stock MAFs.
                            That's interesting. Contrary to the general belief that the stockers max out at 400 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by louis110 View Post
                              That's interesting. Contrary to the general belief that the stockers max out at 400 hp.
                              Around 420hp??? in Japan when they recommend to upgrade the MAF to Z32 MAF on R32 GTR. Can use tuning tricks when a MAF maxes out, so can extend the limit (not ideal, but works).
                              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                              X