Purchasing a skyline and bringing into the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a skyline and bringing into the USA

So here is the deal, I'm a US citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen (refused to get an American citizenship). So this lack of American Patriotism got me thinking. :wink: Can I purchase a skyline in Canada and have it registered in her name and drive it in the US? The entire legalization in the US is pretty complicated, but until that is figured out, can this be done? I'm just worried about the plates and also insurance. Thanks guys,

I'm not sure, but I think the car has to be more often in Canada then in the US per year or something in those lines. Like in Canada for more than 6 months or whatever.

You wont have problems crossing the border, but I'm not sure how long you can stay.

Insurance could also be an issue, you'd have to let the company know you're in the US for long periods, or else they could not just pay up if something happens if they find out the car has been in the US for so long without them knowing about it.
    R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

It depends on where she is from.. Just make sure she is from a place like victoria where there is no air care required. Then just visit back to Canada once or twice a year. As long as you drive it with care no one else will care.. (Insurance or Local Police)

Comment

^ She is from Ontario. Does that help or hurt? thanks!

Comment

do you have a place in canadia you can claim that you live? as long as you have a residence there you can do that. store the car in canada over the winter, that'll take care of your time required in canada thing.
          I've been brushing my teeth with jack but it's resulted in terrible amounts of tooth decay.

Comment

or just move here, simple solution and i'm sure you'll find it quite pleasant

Where abouts are you, Illinois?
            Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Yes you can do that.
              It would just be "her" car. She can "visit" you all she wants......lol
              Just make sure she can get it insured, Ont insurance is still kinda stupid to get for these cars.
              Aircare shoudn't matter for driving it in the US, but it IS required for Ontario registration.
              The car needs to be registered as any other one here, and just visiting the US.
              I live on the border and drive mine across, and in the US all the time.
              Being a Canadian citizen still, she has to return periodically anyways so just have her bringthe car along..

Off topic....I always thought that if an American and Canadian got married, at least one of them had to start the process of citizenship change, no?
              '89 GTST - SOLD
              '92 GTR
              '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
              '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by RixR32 View Post
                Off topic....I always thought that if an American and Canadian got married, at least one of them had to start the process of citizenship change, no?
                Only if you want to be able to live in the other country. You could always have a long distance marriage. :wink:

Comment

Yeah I thought about this too. You wouldn't have any problem getting the car in and everything. Problem is if you get into an accident and use the insurance and they find out, you may as well not have it.
                  2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
                  2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
                  2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
                  1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

I wonder what theft is like for Skylines in the states, especially if its going to be parked in some hotel parking lot or on the street infront of someone's house.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville
                      I wonder what theft is like for Skylines in the states, especially if its going to be parked in some hotel parking lot or on the street infront of someone's house.
                      It took two years to build it in reality, ten seconds of montage to put it together on screen, and about ten minutes to steal it. In a rare automotive example of life imitating art imitating life, the Nissan Skyline that Paul Walker drove in the latest Fast & Furious movie was stolen from its storage facility in Los Angeles.

Comment

Here in Maine, there is a law that doesn't require a title if the car is 15-years or older.

Since Canada is so good about converting the short JDM VIN into a North American VIN it's a perfect loophole for getting the car here.

There are lots of retired Mail-carrier Subaru's that have regular plates on them, so Maine is pretty lenient in that respect.

I am not sure about the rest of the country.

Comment

Ahh yes. I remember this lol
                          Originally posted by GTRs13 View Post
                          Here in Maine, there is a law that doesn't require a title if the car is 15-years or older.

Since Canada is so good about converting the short JDM VIN into a North American VIN it's a perfect loophole for getting the car here.

There are lots of retired Mail-carrier Subaru's that have regular plates on them, so Maine is pretty lenient in that respect.

I am not sure about the rest of the country.
                          that is AWESOME. pure awesome.

Comment

Hmmmm i was just wondering the same thing as I was daydreaming about moving to the states.

I guess I have to choose a place, and then look for loopholes...
                            -= ECU UPGRADES =- -= LOCKOUT BARS =- -= AERO =- -= SEATS =- -= ACCESSORIES =-

-= PM ME FOR INFO =-

Comment

Technically I don't think you'de get into any trouble.
                              Like Rick said, its her car and she is a Candian cit.

Does she have a Canadian addresss still? Since shes iwth you full time in the US, I can forsee possible trouble there.

Comment

Working...
                              X