Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP: Driving Skyline into US while Being both US and Canadian Citizens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Driving Skyline into US while Being both US and Canadian Citizens.

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this amazing site and I hope it goes well. I've been around for a couple months on this site before actually registering. Now the time has come to become a member and get involved. This is my situation:

I am living in the States (Minnesota) under the US Green Card. Fortunately, I also possess a Canadian Green Card. I have family in Toronto, which I think is a plus for me if I want to bring in a Skyline. I also know that I can simply apply for a Canadian Drivers License. This being said, this is my question: Is it possible for me to buy a Skyline in Canada, Register it under my name (give the address of grandpa's place in Toronto, which I visit often) then get it Insured and drive it across the boarder as a Canadian citizen with a Canadian car? I've read about many people trying to bring in skylines, but never came across a situation like my own. Pretty Unusual, but i hope it works out.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Well, as Canadians, we are able to travel to the US in our own car, or someone elses, pretty much unrestricted.
    Conceivably, you could do the same.However, being untruthful in your answer to the border official when he or she asks you where you live is for you and only you to decide if it's worth it. We normally do not condone illeagal behavior on this site. As for the consequences for being untruthful about your place of residence, you might want to look that up on the US Border website.

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'm really not trying to bring anything in illegally. All i know is that i have both Canadian as well as American Green Cards. Is there ANYTHING i could do to bring it here legally? I really need your help. Thanks.

Comment

you're fine. if you have an american green card you can stay as long as you like. you can have dual residency, lots of people own property in florida and live in canada until winter.
        I've been brushing my teeth with jack but it's resulted in terrible amounts of tooth decay.

Comment

Could always buy it, bring it in, register and insure it under your grandpa, and have you on the insurance, then you are covered and you can drive it anywhere.....legally.

Comment

Your Canadian insurance provider would require that you disclose to them that you would be the principal operator and that you are a full time resident of the United States. I'm not so sure any Canadian insurance provider would go for such an arrangement.
            If you were to neglect to tell them of this scenario, and you got into a situation that required insurance coverage, and they discovered that you were actually a full time resident of the United States, you might find that they are entitled to deny payment of the liability.

Comment

What if I get it titled and insured in my State after bringing it in and cancel the Canadian insurance? I don't plan on taking it back to Canada so I would be better off with an Insurance company in my State. What do you think?

Comment

Can't register it in your state (or any state) from what I've read.
                Brendan : Union Autoclub
                '01 Audi A4 quattro - daily
                '90 240SX Coupe - RB25
                I had a Skyline once.

Comment

cant register it in any US state. depending on what year it is you'll have to wait between 5 and 8 years
                  I've been brushing my teeth with jack but it's resulted in terrible amounts of tooth decay.

Comment

Well as long as I can legally own a Skyline and have it registered and insured in Canada then bring it with me to the US, Ill be more than happy.

I'm looking to purchase an r33 gts-t around spring. Maybe I could even get one now and store it at my Grandpa's place in Canada for the winter.

Thank you all. I really appreciate your time.
                    If anyone has more information regarding my topic/situation PLEASE post. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbmw7 View Post
                      Your Canadian insurance provider would require that you disclose to them that you would be the principal operator and that you are a full time resident of the United States. I'm not so sure any Canadian insurance provider would go for such an arrangement.
                      If you were to neglect to tell them of this scenario, and you got into a situation that required insurance coverage, and they discovered that you were actually a full time resident of the United States, you might find that they are entitled to deny payment of the liability.

If he buys the car outright, sells it to his grandpa, and his grandpa registers and insures the car in his name with the principle driver being the grandson, they will cover him. It is still his (grandpa) car. He is still residing in Canada. They do not ask where it is being driven, only if it will be used for work purposes, and approx how many km per year will be put on.

Comment

That sound like a good plan. I personally know someone here in the States that car register skylines with legal plates and have them insured. He's out of the country right now, but i'll talk to him as soon as he returns.

Comment

I've been considering this very same thing for a while now. I have dual citizenship although I've never spent more than a couple of months north of the boarder. I do however have family in Vancouver, so I'm in the same boat. I'd love to get my hands on an R32, however I'd settle for a 71 KGC10 GT-X. The GT-X isn't an issue to legalize since its a non-smog car here in Ca. The trick is getting one.

Will

Comment

Will, send a PM to Adam@Feast auto. i think his username here is support@feast

he should be able to help you out
                            Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Just want to bring this thread back alive now the 34's are starting to be avaliable. anyone here attempt to drive a skyline pass the border? do anyone know how to obtain a US insurance if car is registered in canada?

thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                              X