Need help with dealer plate laws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with dealer plate laws.

Okay here is the jist of things. I cant reveal much but will tell basics. I'm looking to be testing my own and first ever automotive invention. I want to test this product on my Skyline next spring with hopes of success and maybe sell the concept to a top high performance manufacturer in Japan.

I'm thinking about obtaining a dealer plate for such reasons. Now I would also be driving the car for personal use (obviously). From what I know it is okay to drive a dealer plated car personally under certain conditions. Once the testing is complete I would switch over to normal plates. But I'm looking to take advantage of this situation while it is possible.

So I'm wondering if it would be possible to obtain a dealer plate for product testing? Also what are insurance rates like?

Note that this product would have absolutely zero negative impact to the car so there is no "risk" involved with respect to insurance.

And any other advice/help with this issue will be appreciated!

Thanks.
    sigpic

You can't get a dealer plate unless you are a dealership
    sigpic

Originally posted by m_melen
    ...it woulda been safer if his harness were made of jello

Comment

To get a D plate you need to be a registered motor vehicle dealers. Really this means you have to own a business that sells cars. As far as I know, in Ontario this is THE ONLY way to get one of these plates. In Ontario this registration costs just under $1000.

Under the current laws the owner of the business and their spouse may use the plates for either business or personal uses. I have had D plates before and can go into much greater detail involving Albertan D plate law, PM me if you like...

Keep in mind that a D plate is often a huge hassle. These plates get stolen all the time and as such you will be frequently pulled over, especially in your car.

Not really to sure on this info, was just a quick google search but I came across service plates. Being in Ontario I believe that you have access to these service plates. To my understanding these can be obtained by anybody who has a automotive service business. A Service Plate may be used:
      * on a trailer or motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-assisted bicycle for purposes related to the repair, road testing, customization or modification of the vehicle, if the vehicle is in the possession of the person to whom the service plate is issued. However this plate "under no circumstances is for private use".

Personally I think your better off just insuring the vehicle normally
      Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
      hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

Originally posted by SxyBeast View Post
        Okay here is the jist of things. I cant reveal much but will tell basics. I'm looking to be testing my own and first ever automotive invention. I want to test this product on my Skyline next spring with hopes of success and maybe sell the concept to a top high performance manufacturer in Japan.
        they already invented the turbocharger

Comment

Originally posted by hozer View Post
          To get a D plate you need to be a registered motor vehicle dealers. Really this means you have to own a business that sells cars. As far as I know, in Ontario this is THE ONLY way to get one of these plates. In Ontario this registration costs just under $1000.

Under the current laws the owner of the business and their spouse may use the plates for either business or personal uses. I have had D plates before and can go into much greater detail involving Albertan D plate law, PM me if you like...

Keep in mind that a D plate is often a huge hassle. These plates get stolen all the time and as such you will be frequently pulled over, especially in your car.

Not really to sure on this info, was just a quick google search but I came across service plates. Being in Ontario I believe that you have access to these service plates. To my understanding these can be obtained by anybody who has a automotive service business. A Service Plate may be used:
          * on a trailer or motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-assisted bicycle for purposes related to the repair, road testing, customization or modification of the vehicle, if the vehicle is in the possession of the person to whom the service plate is issued. However this plate "under no circumstances is for private use".

Personally I think your better off just insuring the vehicle normally
          Very interesting info. I will look into it.

Thanks
          sigpic

Comment

If the car is safetied right now you can get two 10 day trip permits if that's enough.
            Brendan : Union Autoclub
            '01 Audi A4 quattro - daily
            '90 240SX Coupe - RB25
            I had a Skyline once.

Comment

As a buisness in the automotive market. IE tinting Vehicle graphics, mechanics vehicle sales ect. You are elagable for a D plate but you must have a Garage policy on your insurance which is costly as well as cary an generic pink card that ties to the registration or d plate or plates. Been down this road with my buisness. ITs costly for the d plate I have all the other policys inplace but I personally do not need to D plate as 95% of customer cars are drop off and the few that are pick up are owned and registared vehicles.
              Ya my typing sucks
              You can't fix stupid.

Comment

Yea the dealer plate isn't looking too much of a reasonable idea right now. I'm going to look into the service plate tomorow. Or I may just sign my car over to my company that I setup and put it under commercial insurance. Which may surprisingly be cheaper for me than normal.

This whole thing is about getting cheaper insurance for the time period that I am fixing up my car come spring and also during testing of this product. Hopefully I can get somewhere with the service plate.
                sigpic

Comment

My dad has a few service plates for road tests and transporting, I personally have driven about 5-6000kms under a service plate and have not had one problem to date (knock on wood). These plates have been on anything and everything (cars going to mechanics (allignments, engine work, wheel work etc) as well as driving brand new cars (fresh off the boat, we get them with about 7 kms on them) from our shop to their dealers/manufacturer's head offices.

On the other hand though, i have never seen one bolted into a bumper/trunk lid, just thrown in the transport "bag" (dont know what its called, the sleve with strap that gets fed under the trunk lid).
                  Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

It's against the law to bolt service plates to a car, that's why they're always in the bag. It's temporary use only. (In Ontario at least, not sure about other provinces)
                    Brendan : Union Autoclub
                    '01 Audi A4 quattro - daily
                    '90 240SX Coupe - RB25
                    I had a Skyline once.

Comment

Of course. I was just wondering if you planned on using the bag whenever you drove the car around. You'd need a lot of buffing after a while lol
                      Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Update on the service plate. Just as it says on the webpage that Hozer submitted, I will need to provide a letter stating the reasons why I need the plate. I don't think I need to be a garage at all. I may however need a garage status when insuring the plate or something like that.

This plate will be bolted, not bagged. When I start testing the car will be freshly sprayed I don't want no swirls.

Anyone know how much insurance will cost for this plate?
                        sigpic

Comment

According to the website and my understanding of the situation. You can obtain a yellow plate, shop plate, this plate is to be used by anyone who

-on a trailer or motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-assisted bicycle for purposes related to the repair, road testing, customization or modification of the vehicle, if the vehicle is in the possession of the person to whom the service plate is issued, or
                          for the purpose of transporting the vehicle by a person engaged in the business of transporting vehicles, or
                          for purposes related to the manufacturing or sale of a trailer, or
                          for the purpose of towing the vehicle by a person engaged in the business of transporting vehicles, or
                          to tow a vehicle to a location where its load will be removed or to an impound facility.

But at the bottom in big bold letters it saysVVVVVV
                          Private use of motor vehicles or trailers with a service plate is not permitted

Now I have a driend of mine who was stopped while driving on a yellow dealer plate ( his father owns a mechanics shop and the dealer plate belonged to the company where he was an employee) this was about 1am in the morning when he got stopped the officer told him that he was abusing the plate and its intended use was not for personal reason, you may be able to get one and use it for your purpose but your buisness has to be one involving some sort of work to cars, so if you own a computer company your out of luck,
                          becareful on use, as the ticket is a pretty hefty one and in worse case the ontario governement may take the plate from you if its being mis-used.
                          You can't doubt the existance of hell when you live in it

Comment

I would never drive on those plates for pleasure anyway. Too much bull crap.

However it looks like I will be just putting the car back on the road under normal registration as insurance costs are stupid for these types of plates and there are some weird laws and insurance rules around them I found out today. Oh well.

Once again: FU cK U ONTARIO INSURANCE
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X