Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importer asking to sign Power of Attorney...normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importer asking to sign Power of Attorney...normal?

Hello,

My importer is asking me to sign power of attorney in regards to customs paper...is this normal? Should I be concerned?

who is your importer?

seems odd unless its a buddy of your doing it..
    Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Yes it is Normal as they need your authority to move the car from Dock to a storage facility.

or if you buddy is doing it on your behalf

Comment

but power of attorney is a different thing... at most they would need a release form to be able to handle your vehicle...
        How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
        \'03 Dodge SX2.0
        \'90 GTR32

Comment

you don't need power of attorney to move the car..

You would only need power of attorney if your importing a car thats not in your name..

So if the car is in your name.. and then your buddy is doing the customs work on your behalf.. so you would need a power of attorney..

Docks dont require power of attorney, they give the cars to whoever have the correct paperwork, since most people do actually go down to the dock themselves. Tow truck drivers etc.. dont have power of attorney
          Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Sounds unusual to me also. Unless your buddy bought the car for you, and its already in your name but he is doing all the customs and import stuff. If you are using a real importer (company) they should be having the car in their name and when it gets here transfer it to yours with a bill of sale.
            1995 R33 GTR Vspec - Sold
            2004 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3R - Sold
            2013 Subaru WRX STI - Where is the power? - Daily

Comment

When I had my car imported (3 years ago), they faxed me the paperwork to be signed so they could get the car in my name. No power of attorney required. You can have a limited power of attorney made up stating that the only that person is allowed to do is sign for the car and get in your name, but this will still require an official notorised POA, which costs money.

Comment

In order to act on your behalf at customs then you do need to sign a POA. If you hire a customs broker, same deal. If the car is in your importers name, that's a different story and not necessary.

Comment

Working...
                X