Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for fixes for my 95 GTR-R33

Hey guys,

I am looking for ideas in regards to replacing my seat belts with approved belts, any ideas which makes will make an appropriate switch ?

I also have to get DOT approved head and tail lights.

I have read guys saying that the housing needs to be DOT approved. I am not sure that is true here in Winnipeg, the inspection guys are just looking for the DOT on the lenses. So for the Tail lights you can apparently just put in trailer light lenses that have the DOT on it. The headlights I am not sure of, I have heard a couple of brands on this one, Honda Accord or Dodge Avenger. Does anyone else have any ideas ?

My car was also missing the washer fluid resivior and pump, can anyone recommend a vehicle that might have a resivior small enough to fit ?

What about the side reflectors/lights, can this just be a reflector ?

My exhaust is also no good (straight through pipe), should I just put a muffler on it or should I get a CAT put in ?

Hey dude, If Im correct then you are the guy I saw outside Canadian Tire on Regent with my dad a few weeks back, BTW sick car and I hope you can do everything in your power to get it to pass, I as well am dealing with MPI.

For starters Headlights from a 92-96 prelude will work but yes you will need to make some brackets up for them, also they do leave a gap in the side of the lights so it doesn't look that great... (fair warning) but it does pass the car.. With that however the prelude headlights have clear corner markers and thats not good, so what you need to do is put in (2) 194 peanut bulbs (amber in color) then you need to buy stick on amber reflectors from canadian tire or wherever and stick them on your fenders near your corner lamps.

That takes car of that, as far as the tail lights, thats going to be a bit trickier, I tried to just two side tape on some trailer lenses I bought from Princess Auto but they did not pass it, so now what I guess im going to do is cut off my old lenses (I REALLY DONT WANT TO BUT I HAVE NO CHOICE ) and then epoxy in these dot/sae marked ones I got from PA (it will be approved by MPI they are the ones that told me to do this)

For seat belts, I used belts out of a 92 Nissan 240SX (but good luck finding them) unfortunately mine are tan color too and fuckin ugly in a black interior but they passed! (just an fyi the rear seat belts will not work properly but all you gotta do is just mount them up so they look like you changed them)
    apparently Wesman Salvage in Brandon has about 10 240sx's according to my buddy that lives out there so if you want to make the drive or give them a call and then make the drive that is an option to.

You'll need to install rear side marker lights as well , red in color, perfect fit for them after you cut them out of course and they look completely factory from a 90-93 Nissan 240SX and whats nice about them is they actually say Nissan on them too..

as for exhaust , I got duals on strathcona to make me up a new exhaust system, and its just as free flowing as my last one, its like flowmaster or something 3inch nice muffler with rolled tip, sounds really mean actually (i thought it was gonna sound and look shitty) but im happy with it.

as far as anything else goes I can't really think of off the top of my head right now, you have a front rebar correct? If not you'll need that... Daytime running lights? have those? If not thats a fairly easy fix, Can tire sells a module kit for like 40 bux and its pretty easy to install

if you have any questions just pm me man

good luck

Comment

You got it right, we met outside CT.
      Thanks for the help
      I will PM you

Comment

jeez I feel sorry for you guys in good 'ol friendly Manitoba- is there no way to claim collector car status for your cars? I cant believe that they make you go through all of this nonsense. Lite are they looking for a particular colour red for the tail lights? wow- and the seatbelt thing is mind blowing- as if the seat belts are any different than the ones Nissan uses in its north American exports- It seems that they're just trying to make it hard for you guys to deter you from having what you want, and making you buy a domestic. I have family in Gimli, and when I reach out that way, I see a lot of domestic POS cars that should have to go through a similar inspection
        '95 GTR

Comment

all lights have to be DOT or SAE approved

Comment

It seems Manitoba is the new BC (from two years ago). Is there anything organized out there to fight this? I don't see much on IVOAC. This is ludicrous.
            Living the dream in Japan

Comment

This is pathetic...

Ask them to point you out in "the book" where specifically it says "tail lamps must be dot approved" and "seat belts must be dot approved if equipped from factory"...

If it doesnt, you can tell them to shove it and pass your car as it is.

This just boils my blood..
              BNR32- Sold
              1998 Evolution V

Comment

The manual, at least here in SK, does in fact talk about requiring DOT/SAE front headlights and rear tail lights. As for seat belts, they just have to be functioning. (Not frayed, damaged or modified).

I was pretty sure there was a headlight option for the R33 but it was $$$ and unfortunately nothing yet for the rear tail light. Seems a lot of the MB guys are stuck on the damn tail lights. Not sure for that. Also, I don't think the prelude headlight assembly will work for a R33. That trick was for the R32's.
                1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R - SOLD
                1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type-RA - Rod knock, then sold
                2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Comment

prelude lights can work for R33..

Accord lights for R32..
                  Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Hey guys, sorry to jack the thread, my skyline (r32) is running on temp right now, so im fine for driving, and im parking it this weekend anyways, but i've been collecting everything im going to need to make it dot approved in the spring time. Got mint Accord headlights, accord side markers, extra set of tail lights from an r32 to cut out and silicon the dot red pa lens' in, and recently today, i got a full set of 240 sx seat belts, just trying to confirm, will these seat belts be ok?
                    Originally posted by Paradis
                    ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

Working...
                    X