Got an excessive noise ticket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got an excessive noise ticket...

Ok so here is the story. I live in Mississauga, which is Region of Peel. Peel cops are known to throw their weight around and are absolute jerks.

So anyway, I was going home one day mid May, and I was in the right most late. I ended up getting stuck behind a bus, which was stopped just before an intersection. I made my way into the lane to left of me (middle lane) and then got about two feet before I realized the guy in front of me, was trying to make a right turn...IN FRONT OF THE BUS...FROM THE MIDDLE LANE!

So this annoyed me a little, I waited about 10 seconds and then went into the left most lane, accelerated a little bit, as to not get in the way of other ppl, got ahead of him and then went back to the middle lane. And then maybe within 30 seconds there is a cop behind me flashing his lights.

So I stop and the whole game begins. He asks for license and registration, I comply. I ask if there was I problem. I know THERE IS NO WAY I was speeding, as I checked my speedo while accelerating. He goes on to say I made an unsafe lane change cutting someone off blah blah blah. I told him about the bus and guy in the middle lane making a right turn. He goes onto say oh well I didn't see that and don't you think you made an unsafe move changing lanes? I said no. He then goes to his car, writes up a ticket and comes back and says you are lucky Iam not giving you a ticket for unsafe driving (or something similar I cant remember) which is 2 points but instead Iam giving you an unnecessary noise ticket because if it wasn't for your muffler I wouldn't have seen you. I say whatever and take the ticket.

I know for a fact my muffler is NOT loud at all. I dont know if some of these guys like Brent (nismoist) and Harvey can attest from the Yorkdale meets. Ive seen/heard ricer civics with WAY louder fart cans then mine!

Anyway, I go to the courthouse and ask for a trial. My trial is next tuesday, Sept 14th. Now I have a speeding ticket which was over a year ago and NOT in my skyline. Other then that my record is squeaky clean.

Iam hoping the cop doesnt show up. Iam going to get a decibel test done, if thats even possible, take the results and compare to a Harley and plead my case. What else should I do? In my opinion it was a very unfair ticket and want to fight it. Ive never done anything like this before as I got a lawyer for my speeding ticket and didnt have to do anything else.
    Last edited by aN4rk1; 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM.
    1991 Silver Skyline R32 GT-R - SOLD You will be sorely missed girl :'(

wow, thats pure BS, hope you win your fight. Dunno if youve ever been to hamilton, but all you can hear here going down the street is riced up civics with fart cans you can hear 20 blocks away.
    '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
    '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

Comment

Thanks man. They are in Mississauga too. Its sad, I try to be polite to ppl and I get a ticket? WTF?
      I did some searching and googling, but didnt find a definet answer.

Comment

Urg. Peel po' are almost as bad as the OPP or Windsor PS. They love to power trip. That's a pure BS ticket. I can personally attest that aN4rk1's car is NOT loud, having seen it a few times. The little Civics, Neons, and whatever else it is kids are ricing out nowadays are FAR louder.

Good luck on your ticket, mate! Fight it, and you'll hopefully come out on top!
        Originally posted by kengeroo
        that's what I thought when I opened the package..
        ...don't drink and ebay
        '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Thats retarded man. I can just tell by the fart can exhaust note that theres a civic with in 3km of my place and at night omg the highway is packed with them since I live right so close to the 401. I hope I never get this ticket. But who knows once my cat and res are off anyways good luck with court Just tell them theres no way the cop could actually find out what the legal db is for an exhaust.
          Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

i got one in peel too ... but i make more then 80 bucks in a day so it wasnt worth taking the day off and then fighting the ticket ...
            so i just paid it ... but i also have a huge MCR turbo back exhaust with no cat

Comment

Thanks guys. Any ideas on WHAT to say and so on? and doc I have heard/ seen you car (yellow lipped watanabees) and yes its loud lol

Comment

Oh, so just because you hear someone a few cars back its excessive noise now?

Looks like its still a party in Peel.....
                93 R33 GTST - DD
                97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
                2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Comment

Check under which section you got your ticket. Is it the highway traffic act? Or some stupid municipal regulation?

Could make a big difference.

"Unecessary noise" could just mean you revved your car when you didn't have to and a cop can give you a ticket for this.
                  R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                  http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

If I remember correctly (please correct me if I am wrong) unnecessary noise does not have a specific db measurement as the excessive noise does, rather it is a subjective ticket, if the cop deems it unnecessary then he can give you a ticket. This ticket is often given to people doing burnouts.

I think that getting a db test done is a good idea if you can and compare it to other exhausts such as a harley because that will only strengthen your case. However since it is unnecessary noise this may not do you any good in the end. Also if you use this argument, it would be wise to keep in mind that bikers have been arguing over the past few years that loud pipes save lives because it notifies other drivers that you are nearby (perhaps necessary on a bike but definately not necessary in a car).

I think he was just trying to pinch you with anything but be warned the cops do have a way of marking on your ticket for speed infractions how fast you were actually going. I am unsure if this can be done with this sort of ticket as well where he could hit you for 2 points if he shows up at court.
                    1994 R32 GT-R V-Spec II

Originally posted by aN4rk1
                    Like frig, is it really that hard to spell properly on the "internetz"?? I don't know whether these guys just choose to spell like that or don't know HOW to spell...either way...WTF?

Comment

Sounds like the "unnecessary show of power" ticket down in the US. I don't think we have it up here. Either way, it's BS

And in regards to speeding tickets; ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ask to see the radar gun. The officer HAS to show you, and if he fails to do so, bring that up in court, and away you go
                      Last edited by Snake556; 09-09-2010, 02:19 PM.
                      ...don't drink and ebay
                      '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Ive always wanted to know, is it illegal to videotape/record audio/record ANYTHING while the police officer has you pulled over as long as you let him know?

Eg:
                        Me: "Before we start this, I would like to let you know what I am recording this conversation *points to recording device* and we can start with your badge number and name please? thanks"

Comment

No its not, i seen this news thing one time where a guy had a video/voice recorder going while he got pulled over and was being harrassed by police.
                          '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
                          '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

Comment

Can anyone else confirm this? Also Adam, can the officer not fake the data on the gun? What should we look for? Like previous readings, how to get to them on the gun, so on? Pics would help as well.

Comment

Nope, not illegal to record it at all. My buddy did it when he was being harassed (I was in the vehicle with him a few times). Lemme see if I can find them.

And nope, police will check your speed, then lock it into the gun. It doesn't have a memory, so they can't check previous ones. They lock your speed on the screen, and pull you over. If they cleared it, then there's no proof that you were doing that speed.

Here is an image of a dash mounted radar unit. On the left is the display speed. This is where your speed is displayed. The middle screen is the "lock" screen, where it will display your locked speed as proof. On the right is the "patrol" speed, which will list the speed of the officer's vehicle at the time.

So if he DID clear it or refuses to show you, he can still issue you a ticket, but you go to court, say the officer failed to provide proof, and you should be all good.
                              ...don't drink and ebay
                              '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Working...
                              X