Selling a car to a buyer in US - need URGENT help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a car to a buyer in US - need URGENT help

I am contemplating selling my GTR track car (which is not in running condition) to someone in the US. He is willing to come here and take it away in a trailer.

I want to know what the process is for this to be done smoothly. Do I need to do anything or does he need to do something? The car is undriveable, and will be going AS IS.

Please let me know what all you know. Will he have any problems at the border when he gets there from here with the trailer and the car on it?

Urgent response needed.

Thank you.
    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
    SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
    HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

call the border ahead of time to let them know what is going on...include the vehicle history so they dont tear the whole thing apart....write a very detailed receipt for the buyer
    gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

If the vehicle is un-registerred, meaning its not in anybodies name...then:

step 1) recieve cash in your hand
      step 2) give car keys to buyer
      step 3) wave good bye.

as long as u have the cash in ur hand, ur covered..

if it's registerred in ur name, u need to notify the DMV, and get a receipt for the sale.
      The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

The car is still registered in the name of the guy who I bought it from. I never got it transferred to my name. I do have a bill of sale though, written and signed by the seller and me. Will that be useful?

So this guy is coming from US on a truck and will be putting this car on a trailer and driving to the border and then cross it into US. I take the cash and give him the ownership that I have signed and so did the seller who sold it to me. Since the car is still not in my name, what are the implications, if any, for this guy or for me? Would it suffice if I gave him the bill of sale I have from the guy I bought it from, a new bill of sale from me and the ownership?

Or do I need to get something from the MTO office (Ministry of Transportation Ontario) saying that the car is sold to someone in US? I mean would they give me anything of that sort if the car is not in my name? Or will they do it if they see the bill of sale that I have?

Thanks.....
        (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Another thing. Since the car is undriveable and has parts sitting inside, can it be sold as a PARTS car? Will that make it easier in any way?
          (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

... you never got the car transferred to ur name?... thats not good.

so, ur saying the car is STILL in the original owners name? where is the original owner?

you have 2 options.

1) easy but risky and stupid: just take the cash, give the new buyer any papers he wants, and walk away, its no longer your problem once u have cash.

The problem with the car not being in ur name is technically you don't own that car... the person u bought it from does... unless i don't understand fully... what i mean is... According to the MTO (from the perspective of the MTO) if they pull up the VIN in their system, and your name comes up.. its fine, if they pull the VIN and the original owner comes up... thats not so fine. in QC u need a special proxy form filled out to transfer ownership with out the other person being there, So i don't think a bill of sale will be of much use to you if you need to put the car in your name. the reason you never want to leave a car in ur name after you sell to someone else, is if something happens to that car, who evers name is on the ownership, is liable.
            meaning... if the car somehow ends up in a city impound lot, they're gonna come after the registerred owner for the money...

when ever you sell a car you should always release your ownership of the car as soon as you have cash in hand... 100%.. lemme put it this way.. lets say i sold my car today $25,000.. i take the cash in my hand, give the guy the keys and he drives off... while he's driving home, he gets clocked by photo radar going 50km/h over the limit... I would be responsible for paying that and having my insurance messed up because of the speeding ticket, due to the fact the vehicle is still in my name.

So... to continue with option 2

2) more difficult, lengthy but fair and safe: contact the person whos name is on the car, tell them to "scrap" the title of the car so they relinquish all ownership. photocopy everything u have and give everybody a copy of all the bill of sales, and keep them for yourself too. make sure your name is not on the car. once the title is "scrapped" or taken off the road, the vehicle is technically non-existent on the system now.... your buyer should be able to get it into the USA on a trailer without any trouble as long as he has a bill of sale now and explains that the car is intedned for off road use only.

hope this helped

Comment

The car is in Peter's (ph_motorsports) name. I dont know if he is still on this forum or not. He had given me the bill of sale and also signed the ownership over to me. I also signed the back of the ownership. So thats the situation. Dont know if Peter will be able to help anymore.
              (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

ok he signed the ownership over to you, then you are the owner. so when u sell it, go to the MTO and tell them the car has been sold to the USA and its no longer in ur name. do it the same day, ASAP, then you're covered.

Comment

I am the owner but the car is not officially transferred to me. MTO wants me to get an appraisal done before they would transfer it, since its 21 yrs old. In Ontario, if you buy a car that is 20 yrs old or more, you have to get an appraisal done for that. Ridiculous law. So I am SOL then?

What would MTO do if I told them that the car is sold to the buyer in US and yet i havent transferred it to my name, although I bought it over a year ago?
                  (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

not sure... just tell them the car was scrapped

that way its out of title and country anyways, but if it ever came back to canada it would need inspection again.

Comment

Working...
                    X