cant get inspection in new brunswick for rhd vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant get inspection in new brunswick for rhd vehicles

i was told today by a shop that he received a letter saying that he can no longer inspect vehicles if they are rhd. he told me that the only way they will inspect them is if your using your vehicle to deliver mail. i for one am very upset about this and hope there is still some way to get my r32 inspected for this summer. if anyone has any information on this or if anyone knows if i can still drive my gtr this would be appreciated.

Try another shop, they sound lazy. Did you ask for a copy of this "letter"?

Jon.
    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

thats bs, go to a dealership cause rhd's are a legal for lack of better words civillian car they have to inspect it unless it is not a legal car for you to drive
      1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R Sold

1991 Gts-T Sold

1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R What did i get myself into again...

Comment

Was it a chain? Kinda strange an independant shop would get a "letter" for RHDs while you were asking for service.
        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

It is BS.. I am a motor vehicle inspector(in B.C.) .I would have heard something about it.The majority ,if not all rhd vehicle are imported into B.C., the distributed throughout Canada. Probably some shop doesn';t want to deal with it-maybe is under the gun Provincialy for something

Comment

^^ i dont see what importing them into BC has anything to do with all this..

your an inspector.. How anal are you here in BC? whats your Fails?

Non DOT Tires?

Non DOT Headlights?

OP i would ask for a copy of said letter..

but ya i would go to another shop.. sometimes it take awhile to find a shop that will work with you..
            THere is TON of inspectors in BC that wont inspection RHD either..
            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
              ^^ i dont see what importing them into BC has anything to do with all this..

your an inspector.. How anal are you here in BC? whats your Fails?

Non DOT Tires?

Non DOT Headlights?

OP i would ask for a copy of said letter..

but ya i would go to another shop.. sometimes it take awhile to find a shop that will work with you..
              THere is TON of inspectors in BC that wont inspection RHD either..

.......well-there are bulltetins that are posted on the Gov't site for certain things across Canada. Some shops don't want the hassle

Comment

it happened in Quebec

it can happen in other provinces, but i'd call your local "DMV" to confirm this
                VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVViper!

Comment

thanks for the information guys, this helps me out a lot.

Comment

Boostbanshee,

I just bought a RHD Van from Ontario and tried to register it here in NB. No doing. Dept of Public Safety - Motor Vehicle Branch said I could register it if I had a professional engineer go through the vehicle and say it was safe for the roads. I talked to all on the list she provided and none of the P. Eng. inpsectors would look at the vehicle.

The following is what they send me for regulations:

As I’m sure you know, Canada prohibits the importation of used vehicles from countries other than the US but provides an exemption for vehicles 15 years old and older to allow for the import of collector or hobby vehicles. These vehicles are exempt from Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS), Customs Tariff and Canadian Environmental Protection Act. Therefore each jurisdiction is tasked with the role of determining the fitness of these vehicles for use on their highways. To do so, the Registrar of Motor Vehicles requires the advice of Professional Engineers. The requirement for certification by an engineer is for all vehicles that are imported from outside of New Brunswick that are 15 years and older and that do not bear the CMVSS or FMVSS compliance sticker. This authority is given to him under section 25(1)(b) of the NB Motor Vehicle Act. This sections states:

25(1)The Registrar shall refuse registration or any transfer of registration upon any of the following grounds:

(b)that the vehicle is mechanically unfit or unsafe to be operated or moved upon the highways,

The way I read that is that I can have a vehicle that is 15 years or older and doesn’t have CMVSS sticker as long as a prof engineer says it is safe. All the prof engineers on the list they gave me say they won’t even look at the vehicle unless it has a CMVSS sticker on it or a letter from the manufacturer saying it complies with CMVSS even though they agree it is safe. So I’m caught! The Act says I can have the vehicle as long as and engineer, who absolutely won’t inspect it, certifies it.

I suspect this is the first step in trying to outlaw RHD vehicles in NB.

Hope you were able to get your inspection done. I now have a vehicle that I can't drive or can't sell because I have no registration.

Cheers

Comment

I own a skyline in NB. You CAN get and safety and there are NO reasons for DMV not to register it. Just go to another shop.

Best of luck.

Comment

keep this thread updated guys (those of you from NB)... if another province is following Quebec, this is something we all need to be on top of.
                        The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Originally posted by liquidmonkey View Post

I suspect this is the first step in trying to outlaw RHD vehicles in NB.

Hope you were able to get your inspection done. I now have a vehicle that I can't drive or can't sell because I have no registration.

Cheers
                          Has it been registered when imported to Canada in another province beforehand (e.g. Ontario?) If so, you don't need to hop in all those legal hoops. Just ask your seller for their old registration (even if it was uncompleted, uninspected) and bring it with the bill of sale to a local SNB. They will just transfer the values and then you'll need a provincial inspection. I'm guessing right now you're getting the stick because you're pushing for a federal inspection.

If I'm stating the obvious, well maybe it's still going to help someone who's wondering how it works.
                          Last edited by MarusGTR; 04-29-2011, 09:42 PM.
                          1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I highly doubt NB will ban RHD cars... We just banned driving while on cell phones a month ago. It's a pretty slack place like that.

Comment

:O thats bruital!! but i would just keep looking around. ther has to be a shop that will look at it. im sure you could even look outside of n.b. (obviously you wouldnt want to go too far) for an engineer that isnt on the list. heck maybe they are just being dinks about it and have already talked to the ppl on the list and are just trying to make your life harder. i would just start looking for an engineer elsewher. then they cant refuse you. but thats bull anyway. thats the whole point of an out of province. the shops that are certified to inspect vehicles are government regulated already andyway so any certified shop should be fine imo. what seperates a rhd from a left?if you imported a left hand drive from japan you probably wouldnt have the same hoops to jump through so this makes zero sense to me. but i hope they are only baseing this off of the age and not thats its rhd.

Comment

Working...
                              X