Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question...

Well, I Talked to US Customs, Texas DPS, Texas DMV, and my local police department(APD) and found a way to do this. However, I take no responsibility for you trying this and something happening. Call your local agencies and check with them. However, here in Texas this is a legal way "operate" a Nissan Skyline

1) You must be a US Citizen with a US Passport and Current US Drivers license.
    2) Apply for a Canadian multiple entry work visa.
    3) Have a "place of residency" in Canada.
    4) Purchase a legal Canadian car.
    5) Register/insure/inspect it in location of "residency".
    6) Drive across the border. If you are a legal resident US customs has no issues with you going on "vacation" for as long as you'd like.
    7) Arrive in desired state, have fun.
    8) When you get pulled over, show officer a copy of the VISA, proof of "residency"(A bill with your name and residency on it), Your Canadian insurance
    9) Everything PAPERWORK wise is legal(In Texas); however, what you were doing to get pulled over in the first place will be another story.
    Last edited by Kuro; 07-22-2011, 12:27 PM.

Pretty sure the car has to be in the province/state of registration for at least 6 months of the year.
    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
      Pretty sure the car has to be in the province/state of registration for at least 6 months of the year.
      Hm, any idea on how they would "keep dibs" on something like this?

Comment

I dont think you can insure a car in BC without a BC driver License..

but i dont know for sure.
        Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
          I dont think you can insure a car in BC without a BC driver License..

but i dont know for sure.
          Family has got a Rav4 that we've had registered/inspected/insured for 4 years now. Texas DLs work for my whole family when we are up there using it.

Got pulled over once by a "sobriety blockade" coming across on of the bridges from Kits after a hockey game. Cop asked the usual but when he looked at my Texas DL he just passed me through and didn't question me anymore.

*EDIT* Guess there is a lot of paperwork involved in issuing a ticket to an American up there?
          Last edited by Kuro; 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

A lot of people have looked into this. From what I've heard, it's a huge hassle, and I don't think I've heard of it working for anyone
            Originally posted by kengeroo
            that's what I thought when I opened the package..
            ...don't drink and ebay
            '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by Kuro View Post
              I've been reading about all these people trying to figure out how to "sneak a skyline" across the border and "register it" in the USA... but I was wondering about this.

What if:
              I live in the USA as an American Citizen with an American drivers license.
              I have a residency in BC but no citizenship or Canadian drivers License.
              Purchase/Register/insure the Skyline to my House in Canada.
              Drive it back to my state in USA on "Vacation" until I am ready to sell the car.
              Bring it back up to Canada and sell it.
              ?
              Profit.
              Seriously man dont do it, you run a major risk doing so. Just wait a couple years for the R32s to be legal.

Dont forget the following:
              Customs tracks plates which go on vacation to the US and when they come back.
              With a Texas DL and Canadian plates you likely wont get over the border in the first place.
              You will be flagged by ICE and will likely get your car siezed.
              1994 R32 GT-R V-Spec II

Originally posted by aN4rk1
              Like frig, is it really that hard to spell properly on the "internetz"?? I don't know whether these guys just choose to spell like that or don't know HOW to spell...either way...WTF?

Comment

*EDIT*
                Went ahead and called United States Customs, they said that if I am a US citizen with a Canadian Visa I can "vist my family in Texas for as long as I want."
                Last edited by Kuro; 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

^ lol

Of course you can visit them for as long as you want, you're a US citizen....that's like me asking Canada Border Services Agency if I can go visit my family in Toronto.

I'm pretty sure to get insurance you need a driver's license from where the car is registered to. If you insure it in BC, I doubt they will actually cover you if something happens and they find out you are in the States all year long. I'm not so sure a US Insurance company will insure a Canadian plated car either.

What you are trying to do is circumvent legislation.
                  R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                  http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

If your alreayd doing it with a RAV4 then why are you asking the question.. Go ahead.. do it..

I dont really see how your going to Profit for the Sale of a skyline in Canada.. lol.. but it seems to me your have answers your own questions.

Comment

That was a joke. I'm not expecting to make any money sell a skyline in Canada. I'd obviously lose money on the whole deal, but they say "You gotta' pay to play" right?

What do y'all tend to pay on insurance for an R33 GTR? Does ICBC(I'm in Vancouver) know what a Skyline is? Or do they just see a 15 year old nissan...

Comment

They know what SKylines are.. as there are millions of them here in BC.. it comes right up with the look into the System.. However there is no Differance between a GTR and a GTS-T for them

as for what you will pay.. I dont know.

Depends on what kinda driver History ICBC thinks you have. what year is the CRV?

Skylines cost around the same price as a Mid 90's Honda Civic..

Comment

I'm 20, I drive a "V6 mustang" here in Texas. I have had 4 speeding tickets in 4 years, all of which have been dismissed off my record. One accident in which I was rear ended.

Is there anyway I can get just liability or does everyone have the same "insurance package"

Also, I edited the first page, answered all my questions myself

Comment

To get a car plated and insured here in Ontario if you are in the country for work with a visa you need to surrender your home state drivers licence! You will then get a Ontario one issued with your address here in Ontario! They want to know where you live and where to send your tickets and licence, stickers and all that other crap!
                            aww crap, did you see that!

Comment

You can get the Bare minimun insurance here.. Liability only.. thats what i do.. the cars 15 years old.. if i hit a curb.. im going to fix it or part it..

Comment

Working...
                              X