Lost Insurance Coverage Due to Car Being RHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Insurance Coverage Due to Car Being RHD

Has anyone else recently lost their insurance? I scoured the Internet and it looks like a ton of people are losing their coverage due to being RHD.

I'm also having a heck of a time finding someone that will insure me. I should note the car is modified (exhaust, intake), my daily driver, I've been insured with the same company for three years since I got the car, and I have a clean driving record.

And going to Facility is not an option :/

Call William Smith and Bateman in Aurora, http://www.swbins.com/, they hooked me up with insurance on my soarer all i needed was an appraisal, Talk to Amy or Lamanda
    BPU 1JZGTE SOARER

Comment

and dont say ur car is modified, that will just jack up ur rates
      1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R Sold

1991 Gts-T Sold

1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R What did i get myself into again...

Comment

who is/was your insurer

Comment

Happened twice to me now that I have been dropped and clearly not because of my record as I don't have anything on it. Many people just don't want to cover rhd cars anymore
          Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

With RHD, IMHO your best bet is a broker... if he can't find insurance for you, he doesn't get payed. Simple as that. Costs more though (obviously).
            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I have a broker for my GTR and the broker fees are like 50$ a year.
              R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Why the hell do people think RHD is so dangerous? Absolutely retarded.
                GTRC-OG

Comment

I would love saskatchewan plates, avoid this whole ontario debacle
                  Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

GTS-James, I would love to but I've been told during the appraisal process they take a lot of pics... It's hard to hide a 3" turbo back :/ unless I got a really long skid plate... hrm...

kapetajr, I'll definitely give them a call, thank you for the advice.

spd-dmn, economical insurance group

Bugsly17, agreed. the http://forums.gtrcanada.com/rhd-legal-information/ section has a lot of good articles to see where they're coming from.

maybe I'm asking the wrong questions... who here _has_ insurance on their car? Maybe I can start there.

Comment

Ontario insurance goes like this:

Facility is the easiest route lol. The other company that we know accepts all RHDs is Desjardins. The catch, car must be OEM or damn near close (stories on what is acceptable beyond OEM vary slightly). State Farm and Allstate offer RHD coverage to people who have had policies on LHD cars with them for at least one year prior, possibly more.

OR if you have 10 years of licensed driving experience and a daily driver, Lant insurance offers a Silver wheels program, which provides full coverage for $100-$150 per year, with conditions such as less than 5000kms/yr, no driving to work, no driving during rush hour, etc etc.
                      Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

I do about 2000km a month so that's not gonna work... and as awesome as my bicycle is (yes, I'm currently riding a bicycle because of this nonsense) it's not gonna really work well in the winter

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                          Ontario insurance goes like this:

Facility is the easiest route lol. The other company that we know accepts all RHDs is Desjardins. The catch, car must be OEM or damn near close (stories on what is acceptable beyond OEM vary slightly). State Farm and Allstate offer RHD coverage to people who have had policies on LHD cars with them for at least one year prior, possibly more.

OR if you have 10 years of licensed driving experience and a daily driver, Lant insurance offers a Silver wheels program, which provides full coverage for $100-$150 per year, with conditions such as less than 5000kms/yr, no driving to work, no driving during rush hour, etc etc.
                          How will they know if you drive to work or during rush hour? Are they gonna tail you or something?
                          Polish Power

Comment

If you get into an accident during rush hour/while on your way to work, they'll drop you like a rock and won't cover anything. You COULD do it, but if you get hit, you're effed
                            Originally posted by kengeroo
                            that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                            ...don't drink and ebay
                            '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

No, but if you have an accident in rush hour, which will be indicated by the time and place of the accident if it ever happens, don't expect them to cover you.

For work well, you can always lies to them, but better prepare your story first, and let your coworkers (boss) on it, so they don't blow your cover. If they find out you lied again you won't be covered.

Not only you wouldn't be covered, but also liable for all expense. Not worth the risk.

Edit : Guess someone beat me to it. lol
                              Last edited by collector240sx; 09-17-2011, 12:05 AM.
                              14 VW Jetta TDI
                              05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
                              95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
                              95 240sx ( powered)
                              89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

Working...
                              X