Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD ban in quebec, but what if it was registered before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHD ban in quebec, but what if it was registered before?

O.k. obviously you cannot register a new rhd vehicle in Quebec. However does anyone know if the car came from Quebec initially where it did have a full registration, then left the province and was registered in a different province. If it was then sold again to someone in Quebec could they register it there if it had been before?
    -Pat B R33 GTR-

I can't say for sure, but the law says:

2. L'article 1 ne s'applique pas aux véhicules routiers ayant fait l'objet d'un transfert de propriété avant le 29 avril 2009 en faveur soit d'une personne physique dont la résidence principale était au Québec, soit d'une personne morale ou d'une société dont le principal établissement était au Québec, et immatriculés au Québec avant le 31 mars 2011.
    http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=2&file=%2F%2FC_24_2%2FC24_2R1. htm

It essentially says the ban does not apply to any vehicle that was transfered to someone living in Quebec before April 29, 2009 and was then plated in Quebec before March 21, 2011.

To me, I don't see any restrictions indicating that the vehicle has to stay plated in Quebec. It just says as long as somebody owned the car and registered it in Quebec before March 31, 2011, then the ban does not apply to it.

I would call the SAAQ to see what they tell you though.
    R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

If the car was previously registered, it should be grandfathered if documents were kept from the time the car was registered.

However I'm not sure if it applies upon ownership transfer... agreed with above, call SAAQ before making any move.
      1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

i dont think so because it left the province and was registered in another province so if was sold to someone in quebec wouldnt it be like bringing in a rhd to quebec
        curious if someone left quebec to another province then moved back would they be able to register it

Comment

Mmmm, its a tough call, could go either way I guess. I'm leaning towards them grand fathering it in because it was previously registered in Quebec but I'm not sure, the rules can definitely go either way with how it is worded.
          -Pat B R33 GTR-

Comment

I wonder who makes the final decision if you undergo an appeal.
            1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

why not to call MTO in MTL and find out everything in 10 mins?

Comment

I don't know what the mto is? I assuming it is there registration place which I thought was the saaq? and to answer that question because the saaq must be hands down the most incompetent place on the planet. I cannot even begin to start with my frustrations with these individuals. Just thinking about my history makes me angry enough to punch a hole in my own wall so in order to not go on a 300 paragraph rant about how retarded they are I'm just going to stop there.
                -Pat B R33 GTR-

Comment

dont panic!

mto - ministry of transportation. i guess in qc it calls different

i mean, if you need an answer on your question you better call them and ask. this way you will know for sure.

1 888 355-0511

p.s. in my mind, if it comes from outside of qc, it couldn't be register, but.... i may be wrong. i hope so! stupid law!!!!
                  Last edited by JDMotion; 10-13-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I feel your pain that why I left Qc 3 years ago and never look back. Yes it'll be the SAAQ that gonna have the final say if you can register your car and I know they are the most obnoxious bunch of retard to ever man a service desk.

Just a note for demonstrating how Qc governement is over complicated (to non Qc resident) in Ont you have the MTO that regulate everithing on the road but in Qc we have both the ministry of transport but also the SAAQ wich are two completly differant thing.
                    Last edited by fenris; 10-14-2011, 12:38 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Don't under estimate the SAAQ. They will come with something to make sure the car can't be registered and ruin your high hopes!

My cars:
                      1996 BCNR33 GT-R
                      1992 FD3S RX-7 Type-S

Comment

I'm going to say no, once it has left, it ain't coming back. I'm quite sure that they want all of them off the road for good. That's why I want to verbally dicksmack anyone who sells one out of the province, they are making sure that no-one else in QC can enjoy a RHD car.

When you bring it back, it must be re-registered....after the cut-off date stated above.

Jon.
                        Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
                        X