X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read this!! Interesting topic on insurance

(Taken from SkylineOwners)

Here's an interesting topic to ponder!

What discloses to the insurance companies that a car is Rhd? Usually the VIN, correct?

What if... a Canadian LHD car like a Supra or RX7 with a regular 17-digit vin that has been insured for a long time by the owner was converted to Rhd? What happens in that case when insurance is informed? Do they treat it based on their policy for Rhd cars? Or do they increase the premiums for "visible vehicle modifications" and continue providing coverage?

Likewise, what if a Rhd car like a Supra or RX7 was converted to Lhd? Do insurance companies suddenly open their doors to this?

Please give me your input I'd like to hear people's opinions!
    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

My guess would be that they would accept it, although they would need proof that it has indeed been converted to LHD. In the case of an RHD vehicle with a 17 digit vin, heck they can blatantly refuse people because the vehicle is RHD. Imagine if you were to lie to them about that and have an accident....... I think they'd tear you a new one.

It has more to do with which side you sit rather than the VIN number.
    The GT-R doesn't run on gas, but on the tears of children.

Comment

They should accept it if its been converted. There not allowed to refuse ANY car no matter of ANY mods that was made for the north american market.

Insurance companies do not decline RHD Vehicles, there rules all stipulate they will not insure any car "Not made for the north american market" there rule has nothing in it about RHD or LHD. Several brokers/companies have pointed that out to me
      '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
      '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

Comment

Originally posted by mikey View Post
        It has more to do with which side you sit rather than the VIN number.
        That's pretty much what I remember from when I was shopping around.

Imported vehicle: "no problem"
        VIN: "no problem"
        "we'll just need to do an inspection"
        RHD: "hmm, let me go ask my supervisor"...."no we don't do that".
        R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

So it's not the VIN, or side you sit on, but simply the fact that the car was not made in North America? Or am I missing something?
          1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

i find the most resistance comes from the RHD..it seems like the process would be much easier if i had an original euro produced car, imported to japan, and then imported to toronto (theres quite a few LHD bmw's in auction) i think they would insure that in a second even though its not "officially" NA spec
            97' R33 GT-R Vspec
            Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

We seriously need a change for that... RHD or LHD makes no difference. As has been proven in the UK, Japan, Russian, France, Germany... Well, basically everywhere in Europe and Asia.
              Originally posted by kengeroo
              that's what I thought when I opened the package..
              ...don't drink and ebay
              '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Working...
              X