Car has Landed :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car has Landed :)

Ok guys i have been doing some reading.... I am preparing to gather items to pass the OPP and just need some help from people with experience.

First off Where should i take it to get it done in Calgary or close?

Secondly i have done some reading:
    Anyone know of anything new in regarding headlights to replace that are dot?
    Anyone have a set i could possibly borrow for the inspection?
    Where do i need to place sidemarkers?
    How Do i get DRL?
    How can i jimmy a third brake light?
    And Tires have to have a load rating?

Am i missing anything else??

Thanks
    Colby

What type of Skyline is it? From your questions I would assume it is an R32. In this case I hear many people use Accord headlights to pass the OOP, then switch back in the OEMs. DRL modules can be bought at just about any autoparts store for $40 (Crappy Tire), just have to install. Sidemarkers are required on rear quarters behind the wheel wells, I used stickons from Crappy Tire. 3rd brake light is required, you can get those at Crappy Tire too. Tires have to be load rated iirc, DOT approved. Good luck.

Comment

Mine passed everything with only day time running lights and I live in Alberta. I dont have side markers, gay accord lights, or a 3rd brake light. Go to a small shop that's not part of some big chain and cross your fingers. A buddy of mine went to kal tire in Red Deer and failed his OOP miserably, I told him to go somewhere else, and he said that if your car gets failed at a certain shop, you can't go to another shop for a different inspection because motor vehicles will have a letter stating that it failed the first one. I'm not sure of the accuracy of these claims, but keep it in mind when deciding on a shop to go to. For daytime running lights, there is an easy DIY fix for the inspection somewhere on this site
      1992 Skyline GTR - Garage Queen
      2009 Dodge Caravan - Woopee
      1989 240sx - Rusty Beater
      1979 Nomad Skyline - 23' Camper Trailer

Comment

How long do you have to fix the issues if you fail?

Comment

do some radiation test first! im not joking, a lots of cars imported to east side of Russia have that issue
          Last edited by JDMotion; 01-13-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I don't know about this guy. But both of my skylines had to get radiation testing done before they could leave Japan.

Comment

Are you guys serious?

Comment

Originally posted by cooke24 View Post
                Are you guys serious?
                yes, no jokes! dont you know what happened there last year? In Russia, 1000's cars seized cuz of that (it was in news in December 2011)

Originally posted by IslandDrifter View Post
                I don't know about this guy. But both of my skylines had to get radiation testing done before they could leave Japan.
                thats good!

Comment

I have the headlights and turn signals out of the accord or whatever **** bucket they come from if you end up needing them. Just give me a shout, im in edmonton.

Comment

I have accord lights and signals--in Calgary
                    I love Skylines! My jackstands never get stolen...

Comment

Knate do you have a mounting bracket or anything as well?

Comment

ya was just a thin piece of aluminum and they just kinda chilled there. pm me your num if you want to borrow them
                        I love Skylines! My jackstands never get stolen...

Comment

Anyone have a fix to the rear markers without drilling holes in the fender? Do they care if Wires are sshowing or not? And for the front if i understand correctly i just need reflectors???
                          Last edited by wannabe_sky; 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe_sky View Post
                            How long do you have to fix the issues if you fail?
                            I'm pretty sure it's 14 days from the initial inspection, the car needs to be re-inspected and all failing issues must be replaced or repaired. Once an OPI is done on a car, a copy of the inspection is sent to the ministry of transportation. You cannot take it somewhere else to have it re inspected.
                            I am a mechanic and do these inspections daily, make sure everything inside and out work (seatbelts, lights, HVAC, seats, door handles). Make sure all your glass has an AS-1, or AS-2 type certification ( visible in the really small writing in the corner of window), have at least 5mm+ tire tread, at least 5mm or more of brake lining, no major leaks, front end good and tight, non cracked windshield, and no loose or broken body panels/parts.
                            Slapping a pair of sticky reflectors on the rear quarters behind the rear wheels isn't a bad idea either, after the inspection you can just pull them off easy peasy.
                            Depending on what year your car is, anything after 1991 is required to have a high mount brake light and daytime running lights.
                            Hopefully this helps you out and makes you a little better prepared for your OPI.
                            1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                            -Bruce Lee

Comment

^ thanks for the info, that was very informative! I must ask why just anything newer than 91? Did something change in cars for 92?
                              Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Working...
                              X