Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legality issues of Loaning a USA driver a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legality issues of Loaning a USA driver a car?

Hello GTRC,

I'm coming here to learn and gain knowledge. And to start off, yes I have done a load of research on this. So please don't answer me as your probably common high school 16yo that wants to know the obvious.
    I'll just break the ice with the biggest groan... I live in the USA! But! I have family that lives (and soon to be permanent citizens) in Canada.

I have no interest in importing a Skyline into the USA. That being until the magic 25 year mark comes around. My family member is willing to have the vehicle in their name and then loan me the vehicle. So the car would be registered, titled, and insured(?) in Canada. (is insurance required in Canada?) Maybe if I'm missing something please inform me on any other government requirements I'm unaware of. In order to prove that I'm not stealing, going to illegally sell, or illegally own the vehicle I will have a typed and signed paper saying that XXXX owns the car and YYYY has been given the right to drive it by XXXX until ZZZZ date or something along those lines.

So basically I'm at the conclusion that this is possible, I haven't seen any reasons so far that specifically point to this sort of setup. The car would be insured as liability only, heck it's an older car and isn't honestly worth THAT much so there's no point in spending more. I'm currently an undergraduate student and planning to be attending CCS MFA for a masters degree and possibly living in Canada and getting dual-citizenship that would avoid this mess in the future.

I of course have a couple of questions, while I don't expect all of the answers to come from here I'll state them anyways. 1, do I need to have a Canadian drivers license? I'm honestly not planning on driving it that much in Canada, and you can legally drive a car in Canada with a US license so I don't see the big debacle; again, unless I'm missing something? I've read that I would need to return with the car to Canada at least once a year, that would be done. 2, How long can you have a NON-USA vehicle in the States before it's considered a vehicle of that particular residence? 3, In Canada can you have someone own a car and have the primary insurance be on someone else? (That's how my current car in the USA is) 4, Finally - Does any of this not sound legal to you? If so, a source as to why.

I will be getting some definite answers in the future by going through the various government operations pertaining this, but wanted to come here and get some information and possible advice before doing so.

Thanks in advance for reading this all and answering What I really should do is just go marry a Canadian

Step 1: Find a nice '89 bnr32 now to avoid paying a higher price when they do become available (I bet youll see a small spike)
    Step 2: Keep it at your family members for 1.5 years, go gaze at it while visiting for christmas lol
    Step 3: Import as a legal import in 2014

You guys are so close to the 25 year point. Why even bother jumping hoops. Seems like a headache to me. I bet theres somone in canada who owns an r34 in japan just waiting for the date it can be shipped. If I had that amount of flow. Thats what i would do lol.
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

waste of time its hard enuff just for us canadians to just cross the boarder for a day visit.
      and yes you need insurance, something like a 5000 fine if they dont like the cut of your jib.
      I would go with MattiasJacobs and get your car befor 2014 keep it in canada and then dive it in the states in 2014
      1991 skyline GTR
      1969 corvette
      1989 cavalier Z24
      1991 skyline GTR
      1985 VW scirocco

Comment

What Part of Canada does your Family live in..

Each province has different rules.
        Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Family is in British Columbia.
          Provided I get accepted into graduate school I'd be looking to be in Ontario.

MattiasJacobs - I've considered that option. Being a student money isn't overly flowing and capable of buying a second vehicle that's just going to sit isn't too appealing. Though it's an idea I haven't passed up either.

Comment

I'll continue to update my findings. These were two decent reads, I've PM'd some of the people from various forums that I felt were very knowledgeable in the area of border crossings. So far I haven't run into a brick wall, so it's still promising...

If i cross the border with a car that isn't registered under my name, is that possible? For example, Im driving my parent's car across the border but

Comment

well good luck, I hope you find happines at the end of your journey
              1991 skyline GTR
              1969 corvette
              1989 cavalier Z24
              1991 skyline GTR
              1985 VW scirocco

Comment

The issue has more to do with the insurance company as he will have to inform them of his intent; vehicle on loan cross boarder and you (US resident) the primary driver. Equally, I'm not 16 so don't yeah but...yeah but. Lying to insurance companies is otherwise fraud and his jeopardy just plain sucks; and so does yours if involved in an accident with injuries ($$ civil litigation) and no insurance. Good luck.
                Last edited by cdnleaf; 06-12-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Yep I figured out this can't be done earlier this week. Working 15hrs/day isn't giving me much time to update this.

You can't be a US Driver and have a Canadian Insurance. That was really the only problem I've run into was insurance. I was never planning on lying to the insurance companies, I was just wondering if it was possible to do. And I'm definitely not 16 so I have no idea where that came from.

Anyways, figured I'd update this for future reference.

Comment

It depends on a lot of factors, but I predict seeing this conversation with an American border official:

Official: "You are American, but the car is plated in Canada, correct?"
                    You: "Yes, correct. But the owner said I can drive it for 2 years as a loaner car."
                    Official: "So you are American, and want to drive a car not legal for importation to the US for 2 years."
                    You: "Yes."
                    Official: "Well, wouldn't that be the same as importing it then?"

I doubt a note from the owner will get you very far.
                    But what do I know, I live in Ontario.
                    RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
                    http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
                    1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Please dont.

Scenarios like this is why I cant drive across the border in my HCR and save on gas. 15 minutes there and back.
                      Fort Erie to Buffalo Border wouldnt let me thru last year and Im sure they wont this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X