Importing a Car from Japan: My Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a Car from Japan: My Experience

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experience on the whole process of importing a car from Japan.

I imported a 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-T Spec 2 with the help of using Derek services from Pacific Coast Auto’s. After finally winning the bid, Derek takes care of all the paperwork and ships the car to you and now the process begins.

*Points to note: Derek surrendered my BOL, so I didn’t have to do a steamship release, one less step for me to do. Also, my car was shipped with NYK shipping company.

My car’s ETA was on July 8th. I received an email from Karen Khrod at WWL around 8:30am on Wednesday July 11th. She attached 3 files with the email: A guide for steps to complete, an Invoice, and a Soil Exam form.

If she only sends you two attachments, I highly recommend calling her at 604-528-8263 ext.3 and ask her to send a copy of the Soil Exam form, just because the only other place you can get it is by calling the Soil Exam place, and trust me, they do NOT pick up their f*cking phone.

Ok, so now you have those three files. You can print out all of them which I suggest, but you’re going to have to print out that Soil Exam form. Fill it out completely with your credit card info (they charge about $46 for the exam) and all the other things. Some of the information will be on the invoice she sends you. If you have any questions about filling it out, don’t hesitate to call her (phone # above), she’s really nice and helped me out a lot with the whole process. I filled out this form and faxed it at this number (604-713-9844) in at 11am the same day. This is VERY IMPORTANT, send this form in ASAP, because they get a lot of cars and have to do a lot of exams, so the sooner you send it in, the sooner you get your car, and the less chances of you having to pay $$ for storage.

Now it’s a waiting game.

I asked Karen, and she told me that it usually takes 2-3 days to get the papers back stamped.
    I hadn’t gotten the papers from Derek yet just because he had gotten them late as well. It was Friday and I still did not receive my stamped copy from CBSA. I called the WWL number ext. 1 to find out my pickup date, turns out it started on Monday July 16th.

Now Derek let me know that he had gotten all the paperwork together and bundled it together with the parts that came from the trunk of my Skyline. Derek did an awesome job packing it up and sending it via Express mail, and by Express, I mean it got here f*cking FAST. The big box along with the papers and my parts arrived on Tuesday July 17th and I had yet to get a stamped copy back from CBSA. At this time I was stressed out. I tried calling CBSA multiple times every day from Monday up until I picked up my car and either the phone kept ringing or I’d leave a message.

Being fed up with CBSA, I called Karen on Wednesday July 18th, which was my last free day of storage. To my delight, she told me that she’d extend my free days of storage up until Friday July 20th because of others just like me that hadn’t heard anything back from CBSA.

Finally after much waiting on Thursday July 19th I heard the infamous fax ringtone at 11am and rushed downstairs. To my delight I received two documents, one stamped copy of the form I faxed, and one invoice. As soon as I got these papers, I called Customs to make an appointment at 604-666-0547. I spoke to a lady, and she told me I could come by the same day around 1pm because they weren’t busy. So I had all my paperwork with me and went off to Vancouver.

When I got there I went into the office there was no one in line. I walked up to the customs officer and told him I had an appointment. He asked for what. I told him I’m importing a car from Japan. I gave him all the documents that I got from Derek as well as the stamped Soil Exam form. He asked me how I paid for the car itself without shipping and I told him in dollars. He also asked me if I had A/C in my car. Being a smarta$$ I told him I didn’t, he gave me a look and said a car of this year and model should have it. I didn’t want to make the man angry since he’s doing my customs stuff so I finally gave in and told him it probably has it then. He gave me form 1 and I filled it out accordingly. Once I filled it out, he told me to go down to the lady and pay for the fees and taxes. After I had paid for everything, I went back to him and reminded him to fax the copied documents over to WWL, and he told me he already did . So then I was done and left the office. I gave Karen at WWL a call and let her know that I did the customs stuff and he faxed the paperwork over, and she acknowledged it. I asked her when I could pick up the car and she told me to come after 12:30pm on Friday.

On Friday July 20th I went to Chevron to fill up a jerry can full of 94 octane fuel, I could tell this is the beginning of costly fueling bills . I then went to B&W Insurance to get a day’s permit. As expected, they hadn’t done a JDM car before, but they were knowledgeable enough to make it happen. I paid around $14 for a day’s permit without collision coverage. I then went off to Annacis Island to WWL’s headquarters. When I got there, I immediately saw my Skyline parked behind fences, but I had to go way further down the road to the WWL building to get all of this wrapped up. So I got to the blue building and paid my $95 dollars and NO storage fees! YAY . She called someone on the walkie talkie and told me to go down to where I saw my car, and that someone was going to open the gates for me. I got there, and started up my car for the first time. I took it out of the fenced yard and pulled over to the side to put up my insurance papers. Then I went off, and now the real work begins, to make it pass the OOP inspection.

I hope this helps someone out there hoping to import their very own JDM car!

Cheers
    Current:
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Type M Spec II
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7

New Username: 5zilla

Great write up! even tho i dont plan on importing a car myself ever i enjoyed the read. thanks!
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

^^ Agreed, I bet you were smiling the whole time you were writing it!

Sounds like it took some work, but well done. Enjoy

Comment

Thank you for your feedback guys . Ya I really enjoyed writing this up. I wanted to write it up ASAP after I brought my car home as a record for myself on the steps I took in case I forgot, but I decided to post it on the forums to share with you guys
        Current:
        2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7

Comment

For those of you that don't live in the lower mainland or too busy to do all of the paperwork, Derek has a guy on this side that can do everything for $250 all in. All you have to do is go to the office at WWL, pick up the paperwork, go get your car and leave. It was WAY less stressful.

If you want to drive it home you need the paperwork then go to the insurance office in the same mall complex as the Wal-Mart near WWL and get a "manual TOP". When you get the TOP you MUST lie and say that you are taking the car to your chosen shop to do the work for inspection (just pic a place near you). You can get a TOP for that or to take the car to a shop from your house but they WILL NOT issue you a TOP to take it to your house. They may have relaxed that from last year as the manager at the insurance place thought it was a colossaly stupid distinction but you never know, don't take that chance.

Derek is a great guy, have used his services twice now. I even hooked up with him in Japan last year for lunch while I was there. I won't hesitate to call him again next time around.

Jon.
          Last edited by Dragon Humper; 08-04-2012, 08:44 PM.
          Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Derek was awesome throughout the whole process...and for a guy like me, who was nervous about importing his first car ever from Japan, he really made it easy and straight forward to understand. I would highly recommend anyone importing a car to use Derek's services.

And ya, Derek told me about a guy named Al that he recommended as a broker, but I pretty much did my research and stuff, and I lived not to far from Vancouver, but ya if anyone was at a far distance, or didn't have a clue about the customs and stuff, then most definitely hire a broker.

And about the insurance thing, is the "manual TOP" a days permit or something and how much would it cost?? Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.
            Current:
            2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7

Comment

Manual TOP is a Day permit..

It costs 14 for the Basic one..

you can only get one day at a time..

you got one already as mentioned in your write up.
              Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Thanks dah_hunter! And I've noticed you're quite knowledgeable on the forums and stuff. Do you know of any good shops I can take it in to pass OOP?? If you can PM me please Any help would me much appreciated as my car is hooked up with all the DOT bits, but is sitting in the garage for a bit now
                Current:
                2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7

Comment

Sounds very similar to buying a car from the US, seems a little easier honestly. I guess i'll find out once I can import an R34 GTR, and sell my E46 M3 I got from California.

Comment

I imported a Pajero back in January, and did all the legal stuff myself.

Flew to Van from Calgary, took sky train/bus to Cbsa office then bus to Annacis island and got my Pajero. Karen was super on the phone. Answered all the question CBSA couldn't (or wouldn't should I say)
                    In and out of customs in 20 minutes as I was armed with ALL necessary paperwork, in order, as they would need it.
                    Ask for Brenda. She was super nice.

Stopped at Walmart for wiper blades and a fast oil change and was on my way home by 2 in the afternoon.

Totally doable.
                    Language professors HATE me.....

Comment

How much was the total cost import and the car?

Comment

Here is some Examples of Costs:
                        Car cost 200,000 Yen
                        Exporter Costs 100,000 Yen
                        Shipping Costs 100,000 Yen

So the car is 400,000 ont he boat so around $4400 CAD

When it lands here: (This is if you do customs work yourself)
                        6.1% Duty
                        5% GST
                        $100 AC tax
                        $46 Soil inspection
                        $95 Wharf Fee's.
                        $16 Temp Permit to get it home

THen you have to do the mods etc to get it BC inspected..

After the inspection you pay another Round of Tax's and your good to go..
                        Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Thanks for starting the thread! Great write up. I'm in Toronto.. how about shipping the car after landing in BC to another province? For example, would the duty, tax, etc have to be paid before its shipped out of BC or, could all that be handled by CBSA in Ontario when it reaches here?

Comment

You would pay duty and tax when you clear customs which is in BC..customs are a manual job so you'd likely be paying your broker the fees if you are in Toronto. The remainder portion of your tax would be paid when you register the vehicle here in Toronto.

HST is 13% so it would be 6.1% duty and 5% GST at Customs Clearance, then the remainder portion of the HST which is 8% (13-5) at vehicle registration, paid at ServiceOntario.

This amounts to a total of 19.1% tax
                            97' R33 GT-R Vspec
                            Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

Awesome man. Thx for the info, Kunzz.

Comment

Working...
                              X