Trying to Pass R33 Series 2 DOT Headlights, Problem, HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Pass R33 Series 2 DOT Headlights, Problem, HELP

So I found out about a shop called High Output Automobile in Richmond, and I decided to give 'em a call and sent them pictures of my R33 Skyline.

After looking at the pictures, he told me that my headlights weren't installed properly and that the amber markers I put in the side are not going to pass.

He also told me my exhaust looks like it is beyond the 3inch pipe limit.

And he also told me that load markings (which my car has on all four of its tires, my front right tire even says DOT on it) are not admissible without PSI information and max weight capacity markings.

The guy seems like a good and knowledgeable guy, but I am more than welcoming any other shops to take my car to.

I know there are ALOT of you guys out there with infinite knowledge on these forums, so please, any recommendations to another shop, or any criticisms on my headlight install are more than welcome. I know its not the prettiest install, but I thought it was good enough for the nod. And btw I used 1996 Prelude headlights with Amber DOT markers that I got from Princess Auto for $6 for the pair (had to use these ones since my headlights did not come with the factory clear markers.

Here's my complete list of modifications of current I did to make my car "DOT" approved.

- '96 Prelude headlights
    - amber dot markers up front
    - '91 Miata DOT markers in the back
    - DOT amber reflector
    - LED DRL

Here are the pictures I sent him:

Here's a picture of dah_hunter's install:

Here are pictures of the tires:

Last edited by Raja; 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM.
    Current:
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Type M Spec II
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7

New Username: 5zilla

Every thing except the tires are good to go, go to a different shop. DOT on the tires matters little if the load ratings are missing. You MUST have a max load at X amount of pressure...period. I have had full-on JDM tires pass with the load ratings present...no DOT#s. If they are only on one side of the tire than you are OK, they have to pull the wheels anyway to check the brakes.

The amber reflectors are a tad low, you can always peel them off and stick on another set (the Princess rocks).

Jon.
    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Ya, I thought load rating would be something like "94Y" on my tires and that would suffice but now I know. The only tire good enough to pass was my front right tire which had DOT and load capacity/psi information on it lol. Oh well, importing this car I did budget for some new rubber, I guess its time to spend the cash.

Ya those reflectors do look a bit low, but the lil amber markers I put beside the headlights are also reflectors as well as being a light.

So do you think my headlights are fine like they are right now?? And can you recommend me a shop (PM me or something?)
      Current:
      1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Type M Spec II
      2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7

New Username: 5zilla

Comment

I can't leave you hanging text me 604.809.4586

Comment

In my opinion you have already gone above and Beyond.. lol.

I dont see how anyone can say those headlights are more legal then stock.. they look terrible.

Even my isntall that your showed looks terrible.

ANyways i PM'ed you sorry about not getting back to you sooner.
          Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

That's because Stan does his OPI by the book so if you fixed all those things he mentioned then you're not going to have any trouble down the road. The 3 inch max tailpipe limit is a by-law in the city of Richmond and I have seen cars pulled over in Richmond by the RCMP just for tailpipe inspection. I think he said if your vehicle is not registered in Richmond then you are Ok but then why deal with the hassle if you go to Richmond frequently.

Comment

Nope, he is just being picky. It looks like ass but meets the legal requirements. You should have seen my headlights, looked even worse. But, perfectly legal. Went back to factory headlights, no-one ever checks for that. The DOT stuff is easy, passing air are is a PITA, thank god we don't have that crap up here.

Jon.
              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Air car exempt for first length of plates.

Comment

Working...
                X