Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re Introduction / Registration Questions / PICS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re Introduction / Registration Questions / PICS!

Hey all, John Here. I posted in the intro thread but I figured I would give a quick re intro...

I am a general car enthusiast. The U.S. has a similar law to the Canadian 15 year rule, except its 25 years. So in august of 2014, one could bring in an 89 GT-R (yay!) I've always been a GT-r nut, and have wanted one, almost having bought a car from motorex before the fall apart (thank god I didnt) instead, I bought an SLK.

Anyway, with the clock ticking, I figured I needed to start researching the laws so I can get everything in order and have one stateside as soon as possible. I am attorney, and learning the importation laws for the U.S. its not that big of a problem / I have a decent grasp on it. Its the Canada side I am confused about.

Why import from Canada over Japan you ask? Well, most of you speak english, there is a decent amount of cars there already, and if its a deal that seems logical, I could get there to see it in person first. I would like to import from japan as a last resort.

With that being said, I fully anticipate the prices of the 89's to skyrocket from about ~march 2014 due to many people trying to import them as well. And lets face it, there isnt many pristine 25 year old high tech nissans still out there. I am ok with a higher mileage one, I just want to avoid rust. Most mechanical things do not scare me. In order to combat this inflation, I thought about buying one in the next few months at a decent rate, and possibly storing it in Canada, (I have some friends in the country where I could leave the car, and or get a storage garage).

My questions are: Is it possible for a non resident, non citizen person to OWN a vehicle in Canada (specifically Ontario / GTA)? I really would not expect it to be on the road, and just wanted to know if one could have legal title of it, and keep it in the country, if not registered for road use and what not. Generally I would not think this would be an issue for a citizen (its not in the states, I can own plenty of vehicles without them being on the road, i.e. just have title for it and it sits) but as someone from outside the country, I do not know if they would want the car out of the country within a certain amount of days if not owned by a resident or citizen. I really doubt I would be able to get it road legal with registration and insurance when I have no place of residence, unless using friends address. I feel like that has probably been tried before, and assume it would not work.

Also, in Ontario I know you can co-title like here in the states. Can you do one person on the title as a citizen resident, and the other not either? Would that be road legal or not have the car get kicked out in a certain amount of time?

I doubt anyone has exact answers, but general knowledge (and more importantly what agencies to look into) would be fantastic. I'm trying to sift through the transport canada, and Ontario equivalent of the DMV, but not sure where else to look. Lastly, if its easier to do in one province or another (say quebec wouldnt be much more of a ride than Ontario is) please, do tell.

Ok some pics of the other toys:
    09 Cobalt ss that runs 12's, will most likely be got rid of for GTR (maybe cash plus trade if you got it!)

The DD forester xt

The 360:

The 68 Crustang (Its in the paint shop now):

Thanks all!

if you buy it you don't necessarily need to title it here. You can just store it in the meantime. For instance I store mine in Cambridge about 40 mins from the GTA for $40 mth, indoors with other collector cars. For the 12mth cost it's worth it to you if you find an 89 you like.
    I'll find out more about the legalese instead of talking on my assumptions.

Comment

Ontario motor Vehicle Act. Since you don't intend on registering it here, you do not need to title it. Like when I bought a US car it did not have to be titled in my name.

3. An owner not resident in Ontario need not obtain a certificate of title
      for his motor vehicle unless he intends to transfer the motor vehicle
      in Ontario, in which case he shall obtain a certificate of title for the
      motor vehicle and comply with the provisions of this Act with respect
      to the transfer of a motor vehicle.

Comment

Working...
      X