Bringing a 25yo+ R32 into the states from Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing a 25yo+ R32 into the states from Canada

Hi all, although I may be the minority on this site I still share the same love for Nissans as you all. I currently own a 97 kouki s14 with a blacktop SR20 the may be sold in the coming months to make room for a potential r32..

My plan is to save up around $15k USD come over the border to you guys and drive my r32 back home to Ohio.
    Obviously there will be much more detailed searching between then and now but I figured this would be a good site to start.

My reason for posting in here is to find a little more info to see if anyone in here has ever sold a "classic" car to an American. If so what was the process for He/She to get it back across into the states. Although your classics are 15yo+ here in the US we have to wait until they're 25yo+ so my only option an r32 from 88' or possibly wait until 2015 to grab up a 90'

Any info you all may have about getting your "classic" even over seas will help.

you can get an 89 as well.. i believe r32 start becoming legal in May... as that was the first production month... i could be wrong there but i know mine was one of the 1st in the country and was a production month of may 89
    Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Originally posted by h4X6 View Post
      you can get an 89 as well.. i believe r32 start becoming legal in May... as that was the first production month... i could be wrong there but i know mine was one of the 1st in the country and was a production month of may 89
      Did you get your 89 in to the states or Canada? if in the states what did you go through to get it registered.
      I know the 32's are legal or will be legal in the coming months when that time comes I want one. My kouki's cool & unique and all but if I could own a skyline for just a couple grand more you know I'm about it.
      I've tried searching through the threads on here but I'm still a bit cloudy on the process so any info is good info.

Comment

i cant get you there... im in Canada so i got mine when it was 15 years old... right when they became legal in Canada... maybe someone else can let you know the process...
        Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

You would do better if you asked someone you know imported a classic or some dealers of classic cars down there what the process would be. For us, we only need to forward the paperwork to the boarder crossing that we will be using 72 hrs prior to the crossing. Can't see the US customs being any different. As long as the vehicle is 25+ years old and you have paperwork that absolutely proves that, there shouldn't be any issues. Don't expect much help from anyone up here with regards to boarder stuff, it's not personal, we just have no idea and know that it's worse for you than it is for us. We buy stuff from down south a lot and don't get any help from you guys for the same reason, you have no idea what we need to do.

The bulk of the paperwork on these cars only lists the month of production, so if it was built in May, it won't be good until June 1.

Was May '89 the first of the R32s? I thought it was pretty late, more like Sept.

Jon.
          Last edited by Dragon Humper; 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM.
          Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Steps

1. Have cash
            2. Meet Canadian buyer in Canada
            3. Buy his car
            4. Drive to border, fill out paper work leave car there
            5. Couple days later pick it up once it's cleared

It's the same **** as if a Canadian would buy a USA car and import it to canada
            Last edited by cooke24; 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

seems like it wont be too difficult pretty sure may is the earliest I'll buy. soo...

any one have an early production R32 for sale?

Comment

Not sure as to non-GT-R models but R32 GT-R actual production started in August 1989.

Here are the months and starting chassis numbers:
                August 1989 BNR32-000054
                September 1989 BNR32-001089
                October 1989 BNR32-002089
                November 1989 BNR32-003027
                December 1989 BNR32-004027

Comment

I'm not necessarily looking for a GTR a GTST will be great for what I'm looking for and the price range I'm trying to stay around. Although that information is helpful! I do have a feeling that the prices are going to skyrocket in other countries because of them becoming eligible here in the states, but I don't feel that will last long.
                  Last edited by aneville11; 11-19-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I have a December 89 car that will be going up for sale. One if interested
                    1989 Skyline GTS-t Type M (Bee-R powered)
                    1991 BMW MK Motorsports 850i
                    1992 Widebody Mercedes-Benz 400E
                    1995 BMW 325i Convertible
                    1998 Toyota Avalon XLS (winter beater)
                    1993 BMW AC Schnitzer 320i (SOLD)
                    1992 Mercedes-Benz SL500 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Bee-RSkyline View Post
                      I have a December 89 car that will be going up for sale. One if interested
                      sent ya a pm

Comment

so far this is what i know

The importer must file with CBP, upon entry, an EPA form 3520-1 (with a copy of title, etc. attached) and declare code "E" on that form.

The importer is also required to file a DOT form HS-7, declare code A

must have bill of sale

Classic or antique vehicles are subject to a 2.5% duty rate, which is based on its worth at the time of import.
                        (amount on bill of sale)

Must show proof of de-regestration.

must have title

2 things I know are required if importing directly from japan are

customs bond of at least $50,000 USD (have found online for about $250 USD)

$500 USD landing fee

I am still playing phone tag with customs to get a straight answer on if these are required if entering from Canada.

I am not planing to drive out of Canada but to ship my car to the U.S. and with that there are a few other things.

Bill of lading

1 set of keys no more no less (this is a requirement of the shippers)

car must be empty and can not contain personal belongings (this is a requirement of the shippers)

also on the age of the car this is a direct quote from U.S. Customs

"25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used. "

Comment

I forgot to add that with the import tax, that it only goes off bill of sale due to the fact that skylines are not listed in the N.A.D.A. blue book but they will check the internet (such as autotrader.ca) to make sure your not trying to pass a bunk bill of sale to save on the import tax

Comment

how did it go? Anyone selling their 89' skylines?

Comment

Working...
                            X