Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importation question ( I promise it's a different question )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importation question ( I promise it's a different question )

Ok, so I live in Long Island, NY which is obviously in the US. There is a guy in toronto that imports r34 gtr's and sells them. My question is, If I hook up an enclosed trailer to my truck and drive to toronto and purchase the car, load it up, and bring it home. Will the law enforcement at the border give me trouble at all? I plan on keeping it garaged and unregistered until 2024 (goodluck, I know...) when it becomes 25yrs old and is a classic but I figured hey waiting 9 years to drive your dream car isn't so bad since getting it is actually the hard part.

Would really appreciate some info.

Thanks.

1: why would you bother? Find yourself an r32 for now
    2: they will look inside and unless you have proof you're going to register it as a show and track car(non road legal) i think they'll give you issues.
    Other than that all other import laws should apply
    The enclosed trailor won't make any difference. They'll still ask you to open it up and show them the contents.

Comment

Originally posted by SK View Post
      My question is, If I hook up an enclosed trailer to my truck and drive to toronto and purchase the car, load it up, and bring it home. Will the law enforcement at the border give me trouble at all?
      Absolutely they will, why?

Originally posted by rvander1992 View Post
      The enclosed trailor won't make any difference. They'll still ask you to open it up and show them the contents.
      This. You might as well attempt to drive it across the border. All you'll have is a bill of sale for the vehicle in your name (and if it's not in your name, good luck justifying to them why you're bringing a non-residents unregistered ineligible-for-import vehicle). I'm pretty sure that bringing in a vehicle you own from outside the U.S. without going through the importation process is smuggling.

The only way I can see this ending is U.S. Customs seizing the vehicle upon entry and possibly charge you with smuggling, due to not declaring the vehicle/following proper import protocol.

Whether they make sense or not there are rules and many people before you have tried to get around them.

In summary: Illegal, attempt and risk whatever punishment U.S. Customs has in store for you. Alternative: Wait 10 years.
      Last edited by aaronisonfire; 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rvander1992 View Post
        2: they will look inside and unless you have proof you're going to register it as a show and track car(non road legal) i think they'll give you issues.
        Other than that all other import laws should apply
        So how would I go about providing proof that I'm not going to register it or even take it out of storage at all until 2024? I guess this is that I was trying to ask from the get go. As for your 1st point, It has to be an r34 (It's like if a virgin wanted his first time to be with lets say Emma Watson, having sex with Cameron Diaz wouldn't suffice even though they're both hawt).

Thanks for your input man.

Comment

Registering it is not the problem. The problem is that it is ineligible for importation.

Florida DMV will allow you to register it, but that doesn't change the fact you're still not supposed to have it.

Do yourself a favour and read this: http://www.importavehicle.info/search/label/R34

And concerning show/display exemption on 1999 R34 GTR's:

Originally posted by NHTSA via Sean Morris View Post
          Then he mentioned that no R34 has been brought in under the Show or Display exemption, because no one can do the EPA side of the requirements.
          Last edited by aaronisonfire; 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronisonfire View Post
            Registering it is not the problem. The problem is that it is ineligible for importation.
            I understand that. That's why I'm trying to figure out how I would be able to prove that I'm not going to register it all and just keep it in storage for 9 years until it will become legal to register it and drive. So just showing them a bill of sale(with all the other necessary paperwork of course) and saying "I don't plan on registering it until it is legal to do so in 2024 and will be in storage till then" won't work?
            Last edited by SK; 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

First: I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I am trying to keep you from having a $35,000+ car taken away.

Originally posted by SK View Post
              I understand that.
              I'm not sure you do, because you keep asking how to prove that you're not going to register it so they'll let you import it. There is nothing to prove because the car is simply not allowed to be in the United States of America registered or unregistered.

According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement it is not allowed to sit in your garage, period.

I'm not entirely sure how I can be more clear that your intent on not registering it has absolutely no bearing on it not allowed to physically be in the United States.

Now, obviously individuals have circumvented these laws through whatever means. If it were me though I wouldn't want to live 10+ years looking over my shoulder in case ICE found out and came to take my vehicle.
              Last edited by aaronisonfire; 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I think the OP mixed importation and registration into one issue.

This page I just googled up has quoted the code of federal regulation

No person shall import a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment into the United States unless, at the time it is offered for importation, its importer files a declaration, in duplicate, which declares one of the following:

(i)(1) The vehicle is 25 or more years old.
                In the OP's question, he doesn't have to worry about the 2nd issue (registering the vehicle or not). The law states you are not allowed the import the car unless its 25 years or older, not registering it.

If the OP does still strongly intent to secure a bnr34 right now, just so he can have one in 2024. Although I would advise not to, but I guess the OP can either by the car from the Toronto party that he has fore mentioned, and find a secure location in Canada to store it for 9 years. Or, he could do what aaron from above did last year, and auction/store the car in Japan (but in OP's situation, its 9+ years, instead of 7~8 months).
                Last edited by OdietheDog; 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

first off when u buy it and take it to the border, you are offically importing it into your country. you must pay duty and taxes and fill out paperwork.

in that paperwork theres probably going to be a check box stating either its for track/race, passenger car use, ect.

once a car is registered as a track car it cannot ever be registered as a road car.

show and display is a way. ill post cars eligible for import under that

Aston Martin DB7 Zagato Coupe 2003
                  Aston Martin One-77 2011
                  Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato 2004
                  Aston Martin Vantage LeMans 1999-2000
                  Audi Sport Quattro 1984
                  Australian Ford Falcon XC Bathurst Cobra 1978
                  BMW Hossack K100RS Prototype M/C 1984
                  BMW M3 CRT 2012
                  BMW Sport Evolution M3 (UK Version) 1990
                  BMW Z1 1988-1991
                  Bugatti EB110 1992-1995
                  Ferrari Enzo #400 (Pope John Paul II) 2005
                  Ford RS200 Evolution 1985-1986
                  Ford Sierra Cosworth RS 500 1986
                  Gruter & Gut (GG) Duetto Sidecar M/C 1997
                  Holden GTS-R 2000
                  Honda NR750 1992
                  Italdesign Aztec 1988
                  Jaguar XJ220 1992-1994
                  Lamborghini Diablo GT 1999
                  Land Rover Range Rover Vogue 25th Anniversary Final Edition 1995
                  Lotus Opel Omega (LHD) 1990-1992
                  Maserati Ghibli Cup 1996-1997
                  Maserati MC 12 2004-2005
                  Maserati Shamal 1991
                  Mazda Eunos JCES Cosmo Series II 1994-1995
                  McLaren F-1 1993-1998
                  Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II 1990
                  Mercedes Benz 560 SEL Ex-Gorbachev armored 1991
                  Mercedes Benz AMG CLK-DTM Coupe 2005
                  Mercedes Benz CLK DTM AMG Cabriolet 2006
                  Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR Coupe 1998-1999
                  Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR Roadster 2002
                  Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss 2009
                  MGTF 80th Anniversary Limited Edition (RHD/UK) 2004
                  Morgan Aeromax 2010
                  Nissan Nismo R32 Skyline GT-R (VINs BNR32-100000 through BNR32-100562) 1990
                  Nissan Skyline GTR R34 V-SPEC Early Model Limited Edition 1999
                  Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 1984-1985
                  Porsche 911 Carrera 4S (last made) 1998
                  Porsche 911 GT3 RS 2004
                  Porsche 911 Sport Classic 2010
                  Porsche 959 1987-1988
                  Porsche 993 Carrera RS GT2 1996
                  Porsche GT1Strasseversion 1997
                  Porsche GT1 1998
                  RMA Amphi-Ranger 2800 SR 1985-1995
                  Rover Mini Cooper S (last 50 made) 2000
                  Subaru Version-L Alcyone SVX 4WS 1992

list of vehicles NOT eligible

Aprila Moto 6.5 1995
                  Audi Avant RS2 1995
                  Bancroft Roadster 1993
                  Beijing Auto. Ind. Holding Rodedawg 2005
                  BMW M3 Cabriolet 1989
                  BMW M3 Sport Evolution III 1990
                  BMW M6 1987
                  Chevrolet Jimny 1998-2009
                  Citroen 2CV Dolly 1985
                  Crosslander 244X 2005
                  Daimler-Chrysler Smart Car 2000
                  Fiat 126 P 2000
                  Fiat 500 Abarth 2008
                  Hesketh V1000 1980 – 1983
                  Honda Beat 1991 – 1996
                  Honda Civic Type-R 1997-2000
                  Honda CRX Exclusive 1989
                  Jaguar XJ12 Saloon 1988
                  Jaguar XJ 220 S (race car) 1993
                  Lamborghini Strosek Diablo 1993
                  Land Rover Defender 130 2000 – 2001
                  Lotus 340 R 2000
                  Lotus Elise S1 1996 – 2001
                  Mazda Cosmo 1992
                  Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Tommi Makinen Edition RD- RHD 2000
                  Morgan LeMans ’62 Prototype 2002
                  Nissan Figaro 1990 – 1991
                  Nissan Pulsar 1991
                  Nissan Skyline GTS-T 1995
                  Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R 1989 – 1994
                  Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R 1995
                  Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R V-Spec 1995-1996
                  Nissan Skyline R34 1999
                  Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec 1999
                  Nissan Skyline R34 GT-T 1999
                  Nissan Skyline R34 25GT-T 2001
                  Pegaso Z-103 1991
                  Porsche 959 S (race car) 1989
                  Porsche 962 RLR 1990
                  Porsche 964 RS 1992
                  Porsche Carrera 4 Lightweight (race car) 1990
                  Robin Hood S7 1983
                  Rover Mini Cooper 1995, 1998 – 2000
                  Rover Mini Cooper RSP / LE 1990
                  Skoda Fabia Greenline II 2012
                  Smart Crossblade 2002
                  Toyota Carina 1987
                  Toyota Sera 1991
                  Toyota Supra 1994
                  Trabant 601-S 1981
                  Trabant P601 1989
                  Triumph Bonneville M/C 1981
                  TVR Sagaris, T350, Tuscan, Cerbera 1996-2006
                  Volkswagen Beetle (Old Style) 2000
                  Volkswagen Beetle (Ultimate Edition) 2003
                  Volkswagen Beetle (Ultima Edition) 2004
                  Volkswagen Corrado Magnum Sport Kombi 1990
                  Volkswagen Type 2 Vanagon Double Cab Pickup Truck 1986
                  Zastava Fica 1985
                  Last edited by cooke24; 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

hers a link to all the info u need.

now if you import through a registered importer they can get a certain year in legally.
                    Last edited by cooke24; 04-09-2014, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cooke24 View Post
                      first off when u buy it and take it to the border, you are offically importing it into your country. you must pay duty and taxes and fill out paperwork.

in that paperwork theres probably going to be a check box stating either its for track/race, passenger car use, ect.

once a car is registered as a track car it cannot ever be registered as a road car.

show and display is a way. ill post cars eligible for import under that

Nissan Nismo R32 Skyline GT-R (VINs BNR32-100000 through BNR32-100562) 1990
                      Nissan Skyline GTR R34 V-SPEC Early Model Limited Edition 1999
                      I tried to pre-emptively address this option since Sean Morris said here that as of 2009 no one has been able to do it this way:
                      Then he mentioned that no R34 has been brought in under the Show or Display exemption, because no one can do the EPA side of the requirements.
                      2009 is a long time ago, but I doubt a whole lot has changed.

Originally posted by OdietheDog View Post
                      In the OP's question, he doesn't have to worry about the 2nd issue (registering the vehicle or not). The law states you are not allowed the import the car unless its 25 years or older, not registering it.
                      I tried to convey this! I tried!

Originally posted by cooke24 View Post
                      http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

hers a link to all the info u need.

now if you import through a registered importer they can get a certain year in legally.
                      I believe they can only do R33 GTR, and not the R32 and R34 due to the crash data submit.
                      Last edited by aaronisonfire; 04-09-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Now I understand completely. Thank you all for your patients and input. Since this is the case I'll more than likely buy a supra to build as a weekend warrior. Then, in 2024 ill get an r34 for a daily :] It's awesome not having a social life to be able to afford nice cars. Us car guys sacrifice a lot.

Comment

Working...
                        X