X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating the dead horse on importation again

I am a USA resident and have the funds and am looking at 2 1989 r32
    Gtr's in BC and Calgary. I need to travel over 1000 plus miles to
    Pick one of them up and drive them back. I am positive after all the talking
    To your fellow Canadians that once they are registered in canada
    They wipe the month and only register it as the year, and I know
    Month of production is not on the blue information tag with engine
    And trans numbers under the hood nor in the door jambs. I just
    Want to be sure I'll be ok at the border after purchase. I will have
    The required HS-7 and 3520 EPA forms. My question is has anyone
    Sold one to a USA resident and had issues at the border? Thank you
    In advance for any info you could give me.

One more question to add to this. Most cars I find up in your country are modified. The EPA exemption says original condition, I just wonder how strict the cpb on the USA side are about inspections on cars as i have never imported a car before.

Comment

Why you asking Canadians about importing to the states? Granted some know - like Adam from Feast.

You're risking your money and car by importing to USA prior to August.

Trevor was able to import his on New Years but the CBP have become aware that the BNR32s started mass production in August 1989.

Give me the chassis codes for your GTRs, I'll tell you their manufacture months respectively.

Sent from my SC-03D using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for that information. I know the numbers and build date info. Just wasn't sure how cpb operated as canada wipes the month on registration. And I hope someone on here knows how specific they inspect these cars as far as modifications. I know you all are Canadians, but I thought maybe a few of you have been through this as sellers. Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can give. I have emailed cpb in Washington, D.C. And they replyed if it is 89 you will be OK in upper case just like that. But I figured that sounded too simple as I know production month and year is easy to figure out by vin.

Comment

The only thing the EPA has to say on the matter is that the original engine be in place and most CBP inspectors will pass a vehicle through customs with minor mods. How much is at the discretion of the inspector/agent.

Comment

Here is a good guide:
            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
              There is some vague and incorrect info in your link. For instance, the kit car rules have nothing to do with State laws. EPA expressly forbids a car being assembled that was once a whole vehicle for the purpose of skirting Clean Air Act laws. Also, I could write a quick primer on R33 importation but it basically boils down to you can use VCP-32 designation on the DOT HS-7 form to import a 96-98 GTS or GTR (1995 models ARE NOT eligible!) but it must be imported by a Registered Importer and modified to meet FMVSS and EPA regulations w/in 180 days before the bond will be released and the car given over to the owner. Only one company can do this, JK Technologies in Maryland, and they charge about $36k for the service. That'd make your R33 roughly $50k or so all in for a GTR and on up from there.

The rest of it for the most part is pretty spot-on.
              Last edited by kabob; 11-04-2014, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X