Ontario insurance company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario insurance company?

Hi all, I just wonder if there are still any insurance company that with insure RHD car in Toronto?

Facility (high risk insurance) will take you. With conditions and a 25+ year old car the collectors companies may take you. State Farm, depending on the agent should take you if you have a daily with them for some time.

Comment

My car is with Lant and has been for the past ~5 years.

They will insure 15+ year old cards as "hot rods" and 25+ year old cars as classics. You have to have a daily driver insured with another company.

I signed up with them when my car was 21 years old. No issues. Used them for almost 4 years. Recently I was not insured on the Skyline for a year. When I tried to sign up with Lant again this spring they told me they no longer insure RHD cars.

I explained that it was my occasional use car and that I'm 35 years old with a clean driving record. It went back to the underwriters and they came back with approved.

I had someone on here post that Lant will not insure RHD if the car is under 25 years old. I don't believe this is the case. They straight up said they no longer insure RHD cars, regardless of their age.

Long story short, it never hurts to explain your situation and ask nicely. I was pretty much told sorry, no more RHD through us. Told them I was a customer in the past and after providing new pics and allowing them to check that my record was clean I was again insured by Lant.

Comment

Originally posted by menace View Post
        My car is with Lant and has been for the past ~5 years.

They will insure 15+ year old cards as "hot rods" and 25+ year old cars as classics. You have to have a daily driver insured with another company.

I signed up with them when my car was 21 years old. No issues. Used them for almost 4 years. Recently I was not insured on the Skyline for a year. When I tried to sign up with Lant again this spring they told me they no longer insure RHD cars.

I explained that it was my occasional use car and that I'm 35 years old with a clean driving record. It went back to the underwriters and they came back with approved.

I had someone on here post that Lant will not insure RHD if the car is under 25 years old. I don't believe this is the case. They straight up said they no longer insure RHD cars, regardless of their age.

Long story short, it never hurts to explain your situation and ask nicely. I was pretty much told sorry, no more RHD through us. Told them I was a customer in the past and after providing new pics and allowing them to check that my record was clean I was again insured by Lant.
        They will insure RHD as long as the car is 25+ years old. I just went through trying to get a quote with them and they wouldnt insure my '93 (I'm 28 own a house and have 2 other vehicles insured). You probably got accepted because you were insured through them previously. That being said I am going to try and call again. I find that with insurance companies it is all in who you talk to.
        Last edited by S13Jordie; 06-10-2015, 01:25 PM.
        Jordie Lewis
        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

All I wanted to make clear is that they flat out turned me down when I called in to get the it reinstated. I was told they no longer do RHD regardless of age. They knew I was a client for years and that the car was 25 years old. They even had the appraisal done specifically for them years back, yet they still turned me down.

It was not until I told the lady that I was 35 years old and drove only a few thousand kms in the R32 since I got it that she offered to bring it to the underwriters. She said no guarantee they will accept it but it did come back approved.

You maybe right that it was due to me being a customer in the past. Only reason I am not 100% with you is that they were aware my car was 25+ and that I was a client in the past when I was turned down.

So, I guess you are completely right when you say it really depends on who you are dealing with and just as importantly the day they might be having...

Comment

Working...
          X