X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 6th Birthday GTRC!

Dear members of GTRCanada.com:

In 2004, myself along with a couple of friends from the canada_skyline yahoo mailing list (Jason and Chris aka Murphy and 13th-Angel) thought it would be fun to start a web forum devoted to the idea of possibly importing one of our dream cars: the Nissan Skyline GTR.

At the time we thought it was a novel idea, taking advantage of an obscure 15 year import law which at the time was only used by European boutique car collectors. We knew the infamous modern-day GTR was first produced in 1989 and realized it just might be possible to see Godzilla roaming the streets of Canada. We thought maybe the country might see a maximum of 25-50 of these cars, probably owned by geeky japanese car otakus like us.

So, on Jan 15th, 2004 we threw open the doors of GTRCanada.com (a name I thought of one day on msn with a friend). Since it was the very first car forum in Canada devoted to the Skyline, Chris dubbed the familiar slogan "Canada's Premier Skyline Enthusiast Club". We didn't expect many members, but had hoped it might see more action than what we were having on our old yahoo mailing list. We asked all of the existing yahoo members to join...most did. We cheered when we reached our 100th member in the first month (and even gave him a special user title). We asked and openly offered sponsors to show off their wares in the club...more to guarantee that Canadian Skylines would have some sort of technical and parts support. --I still remember actively soliciting moderator Justin (CanadianGTR) to join because he beat me to the punch and brought in the very first GTR to eastern Canada and I just had to have a real live Skyline owner in the mod team.

Good times always.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank all the members and supporters of GTRC for their activities over the last 6 years. You guys and gals make this place what it is. Your discussions keep the place fresh, and your usage of the site to buy and sell, make friends and organize meets, track and dyno days is what gives purpose to this site. I thank everyone for their devotion to the club and their conduct which is a model of what an online car community should be.

I also want to use this thread to formally announce that I am stepping down from my role as Administrator and Owner of GTRC. From today onwards the duties I've always held will be taken over by a new Admin who will make his own announcement in due time. He brings to the table a lot of experience, skills and above all else...enthusiasm for the community and the car itself. He is a longtime member of the club and owns a gorgeous BNR32 (in KH2...a colour dear to my heart). I wish him the best of luck.

Happy Birthday GTRC!

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

w00t ,
    GTRC changed my life *tear.
    thanks man!
    Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Thanks for everything JZ! Hope you still stay active in the community!

Without GTRC I wouldn't own my car, and probably wouldn't have ever learned you could import Godzilla

Not to mention all the friends I've found through the site!
      BlackAura (Kevin)
      1995 ZX600C8 Kawasaki Ninja 600R - FOR SALE - See Marketplace
      2003 Wrangler Jeep TJ Rubicon
      1991 BNR32 Nissan Skyline GT-R - Sold

Comment

Happy birthday, GTRC!

Apparently, my birthday is on the same day.
        03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT "Valerie"

Comment

thanks jz... this website has literally be life changing for me. thanks bud... thanks a million
          ----------------------------------------------
          widebody rb25 r32
          Built by Fraser Valley Imports not Bought
          We aren't just Importers, We are Owners
          ----------------------------------------------
          friends of:
          genetic tuning!!!

Originally posted by Muss
          Now why would two best friends fight? I'd say they'd just make a cookie pie, tell each other bed time stories and have a sleepover.

Comment

JZ, I have to agree with the above posters as well. This site has been a big part of my GT-R ownership, it has helped me out with all sorts of things, saved me money, given me advice, and connected me with other Skyline owners.
            I can honestly say that GTRC has improved the quality of ownership of my GT-R.

Thanks for everything you have done, and we hope to see you around as a moderator
            RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
            http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
            1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Without GTRC my car wouldn't be in my possesion. I wish you the best of luck JZ and hope you are still a familiar face of the forum. Good luck in whatever strikes your interest, maybe a NSX forum?

Kyle
              Originally posted by funkymonkey
              You guys need to set up an RSPCS (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Skylines) and take a baseball bat to the heads of owners that bring disrespect to the heritage by being metrosexual knob jockeys behind the steering wheel.

Comment

Best of luck JZ. Maybe we'll get to meet up this summer.
                R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

Nothing on the horizon for me...just a nice break from the serious business of the internet. . My wife, kids and professional obligations are keeping me busy enough.

I'll stick around as a moderator for as long as I can (or as long as the new owner will have me). I still plan to get behind the wheel of a GTR once again in the near future

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Happy birthday GTRC
                    I hope you'll be on the Forums still
                    This site made Skyline more well known and understand everything about skyline. Its just great site and I can't wait until we have the 10th year, because we should have a huge meet and what not.
                    1997 Ford F150 4x4
                    1991 Nissan Skyline GTR R32 Soon
                    Originally posted by Tap56
                    With the economy having gone downhill some people are having to reuse old posts since they can't afford new ones.

Comment

Happy Birthday GTRC,
                      and John, take care man, you literally don't know what you've done for me over the past few years haha I really appreciate it. If you can trek out to the GTA this summer, that'd be pretty cool. Best of luck.
                      Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Happy Birthday GTRC!
                        While I do not have the privilege of owning a GTR this site has been invaluable in my Z build. Maybe in a few years once GTRs are 25 years old I'll have the chance to own one!

JZ, best of luck!

Comment

Thanks for everything john!...this site was a great tool for when i had my gtr and i met alot of new faces on here!...i hope the site keeps its high standards that most of the OG gtrcs have built!...

navin
                          My collection:

Zenitani GTR aka BARNEY (sold)
                          AE2000 (Team Toyo Street)
                          Gruppe M NSX (bros car- Team Toyo Street)
                          E46 M3- DD w/ HRE 841rs

Comment

Thanks for the years of service JZ, for one of the cleanest forums online. This place definitely helped me feel comfortable with my purchase and has been invaluable over the years to help through those high and lows of tinkering with a performance vehicle.

Originally posted by JZ View Post
                            I still plan to get behind the wheel of a GTR once again in the near future
                            I asked you this a while back, not sure i got an answer, what model are you most likely considering if you jump back behind the wheel? wait it ou for a 34, or are you going contemporary on us?
                            1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

Thank You JZ for all the hard work you put into GTRC. I'm no longer an active member of GTRC however this was a great website back in the heyday's of Skyline importation.

I remember when we were getting our first cars, our first GTR's .. the pain we went thru to register the cars in Quebec during the SAAQ strike. The fun we had with insurance companies. The part lookups in Fast, modification help.. this forum was filled with resourcefull people aways willing to help and share like a real enthusiast community should be. This forum was a lot of fun, a lot of help and a great place to be.

We didn't meet often however I enjoyed the few times I did get to see you in real life. I wish you the best of luck in all your future projects JZ and the best to GTRC's new admins.
                              2 times ex-Skyline GTR owner. 2004-2009

Comment

Working...
                              X