Best OE Size Rotor's for the Track and Other Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best OE Size Rotor's for the Track and Other Questions

This is a question for all you whom have some track time/race experience.

The local road course, Mission, is a killer on brakes. Lots of point and shoot style corners. I don't have the means to go for a BBK anytime soon because I can't afford another set of 18" rims for the street.

Does anyone know if any company makes a 2 piece OE size front rotor for the BNR32/Z32? I saw that dba makes OE 2 piece but not for the BNR32/Z32. Also does Cryo treatment really make a big difference?

Does anyone have pictures of front brake ducting on a BNR32 that isn't a Group A race car. They swapped the calipers to the back of the rotor.

As well. My OE calipers have turned from gray to olive green. Must have been from the crazy heat. Has this happened to anyone else and was it an indicator to any problems?
    1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
    www.victoriamotorsports.ca

you should really look into AMS's 2piece R33 GTR conversion kit, lighter and bigger rotor should help alot
    AMS Z Store

DBA rotors cost an arm,

about the ducting, i don't have any pics, but you could probly buy some aluminum ducting at home depot and make it fit, very cheap

and i bet the calipers changed color because of the brake dust slowly eating it away
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

The big thing with the ducting is knowing how to place it so it doesn't get crushed, pinched or rub on the tire at full lock in each direction. I had a piece of ducting and I was playing around with placement, testing by moving from full lock to full lock, but without much luck. I think I must be missing something obvious.
      1989 Skyline GTR

Comment

Just checked out the AMS rotors and I would need 17" rims. My Track rims are 18" but my street rims are OEM. I still have to drive my car to the track.
        1989 Skyline GTR

Comment

My mates GTR racecar has 2 piece Project-U brake rotors with stock brake calipers. Project-U rotors have wide ducting down middle of rotor (when compared to stock rotor), so cool rotor surface better when mixed with brake ducting.

The key to good brakes is keeping rotor temps under control which affects pads (temp rated) and then brake fluid (temp rated). If brake fluid overheats = brake fade.
          Last edited by Skym; 07-16-2010, 01:25 AM.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I've been having exactly the same struggle, but broke down (no pun intended) and went with big brakes. If I had not, and I was running 16" OE wheels, this is what I'd have done.
            DBA kangaroo paw rotors,
            EBC pads (I've been using Red Stuff, but might notch it up if track time required it.) OR a full race pad.
            Endless RF650 or Brembo equivalent fluid.
            Braided steel lines
            Master cylinder brace
            sigpic
            The Beaumont Connection

Comment

I use Project Mu SCR rotors, and I like them a lot. They are only 1 piece, but they are fairly cheap.
              I also have BCNR33 Brembos, Nismo Pads, Nismo lines. I use this setup on Suzuka Circuit on RE01R tires, and it works very well.

If you want to get 2 piece rotors, then Project Mu SCR Pro or Endless Racing rotors.
              They are a bit pricer though, we sell the Endless 2 piece Curving Slit for 65,100 each, or the 2 piece E-Slit for 72,450 JPY eac. Replacement discs are 29,400 JPY and 36,750 JPY respectively.
              In comparison the Endless 1 piece curing slit are 30,450 JPY each.
              RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
              http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
              1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

In oem size Usually just get slotted ones.Don't get the drilled ones since they tend to crack specially in a oem form.But basicly I would swap to braided lines and use some good pads like hawk,etc......
                Now if you want to go bigger then you are talking about z32 upgrade kit that includes spacers for the caliper and bigger disc.
                after That its all aftermarket.I love wilwoods nice and cheap.But the ones posted above is top notch
                You Love Japan and Japan hates you.Fck JDM

Comment

I currently have the Project Mu SCR one piece. It has done well by me, but Mission has really upped the ante on my brakes. Heat management has become important. Hawk HP+ pads were smoking like they might burst into flames. I plan on getting Hawk Blues. I have Endless Lines, Master Cylinder Stopper and Motul RBF 600.

Darryl, how much do BCNR33 Brembo calipers go for? Am I stuck using Brembo and Nismo pads for these calipers?
                  1989 Skyline GTR

Comment

2 piece rotor is better, as heat doesn't get transfered too much to middle of rotor (hat) as easily and warp it. Also cost to replace rotor piece should be cheaper than buying 1 piece rotors and should be lighter.

Another way is to shed weight from car (back seat, spare wheel, etc), as weight affects brakes.
                    Last edited by Skym; 07-17-2010, 01:23 AM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Other than removing my stereo and speakers,I have stripped my car down as much as I can and still be in Street Prepared Class. I had to take all the metal bracing out of my back seat so I could jam it back in around my roll bar. That was enough to reduce me by one prep point and keep me out of GT Class.
                      1989 Skyline GTR

Comment

Originally posted by Marke View Post
                        I currently have the Project Mu SCR one piece. It has done well by me, but Mission has really upped the ante on my brakes. Heat management has become important. Hawk HP+ pads were smoking like they might burst into flames. I plan on getting Hawk Blues. I have Endless Lines, Master Cylinder Stopper and Motul RBF 600.

Darryl, how much do BCNR33 Brembo calipers go for? Am I stuck using Brembo and Nismo pads for these calipers?

Marke, the BCNR33 Brembo calipers typically go for around 80,000-120,000 JPY for the fronts.
                        Here is an auction for a set for a little cheaper.
                        R33 GT-R

The BCNR33 Brembos have bigger pistons, and use bigger rotors. They are fairly bolt on, I only changed a couple of the hard lines to BCNR33 to make it work better.
                        These rotors are the stock BCNR33 calipers, so you can use any pads for them, factory pads, Nismo, Endless, Project Mu, Dixcel etc. Any pad that says it is for BCNR33 factory caliper use.
                        We can also arrange overhaul at Nissan Japan which would include all new piston seals. Or we can send you just the seal kit as well.
                        I can't say for sure whether your lines will work with them, I am using BCNR33 Nismo lines.

Hope that answers any questions for you.
                        RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
                        http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
                        1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

you can buy used Brembo BCNR33 calipers for less than 2000
                          check the australian and uk forums, they always have some for sale

i bought my front BCNR33 calipers for 1150, and i got STI (2005) rear brembo calipers, which are the same as BCNR33/BNR34, for 300
                          HAWK have part numbers for the BNR34/BCNR33, so you can order directly the right pads
                          but EBC don't, so after some research i found you could get the fronts from a 1997 BMW 840ci, and the rears from a 2005 subare STI

and the same brake lines should still work

with the BNR34/33 front brembo, you'll be able to run 324mm rotors, i'm getting AMS's 2 piece R33 rotors that they agreed to sell me seperate from their conversion kit, i'm just waiting for them to have some back in stock
                          Last edited by frankiman; 07-17-2010, 10:04 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

the calipers are a direct bolt-on, though you'll need to get new bolts since the thread pitch isn't the same (r32=fine, r33=coarse)
                            i got grade10 bolts for 1,20$ each

the front soft lines will definitely work, the hardline though may need some bending, i actually got braided lines custom made to replace the hardline, to make swaping the rotors easier)
                            sigpic

Comment

does it really worth the money to swap 2 piston caliper for newer 2 piston caliper for the rear ? For the hardcore lapping guy maybe but for street use, I'm not sure.

I'm getting the AMS 2pc rotor BBK, oem caliper, Hawks HP+, braided line and Ate blue fluid. that should be enought for the street.
                              Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Working...
                              X