Pin hole camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin hole camera

So, i came to the conclusion since all the insurance companies are rejecting us for the main reason(or so i heard) of passing on single lane highways, and left turns, i'm going to install a pinhole camera on my left hand mirror and have it connected my a screen inside the car so i can see in real time when passing or turning left without having to move out to far. I've contacted my insurance broker see if this would help but he has yet to get back to me, what do you all think?
    '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
    '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

... then you have a monitor hooked up when youre driving. it would be distracting imo. But those reasons are complete ******** to me. sure it is a bit harder to see. but when you think of it youre only 2 feet over. Personally i dont think the broker will care. lol they will probably ding you for modifying the vehicle lols
    Jordie Lewis
    1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

90% of newer cars have monitors in the dash, this one would only be needed/used for when you need to turn and pass, hence a quick glance, no longer then looking in a mirror...
      '12 Kia Forte - Winter/Summer car
      '91 Skyline GTR - Weekend Fun/Project car

Comment

good solution would be a monitor that would auto select camera according to certain events...
        left turn signal , show left side of car's blind spot, right turn signal,, show right blind spot,,
        car in reverse,, show rear camera,,,
        air bag deplot, show driver,,, good youtube footage.

Comment

My friend and I were just talking about this yesterday actually! I do agree with it being a good idea for turning and passing purposes and your own safety but I have to agree with S13Jordie.. I dont think the companys will care very much
          I drive a Honda...

Comment

a camera setup like that is useless

people in quebec have already tried it
            the OE camera systems are usually only for reversing, or forward systems are only available on higer end cars (M-B, Lexus, etc.) and are worth thousands and are highly developped in each case

a simple camera setup on the side of the car, regardless of the size, pointing forward is useless, its been dicussed before
            cameras aren't like human eyes, they are very VERY limited
            the sensors in those camera are poor quality, meaning that any amount of dirt/rain/snow on the lens will totally blind the camera
            when it gets dark, the camera won't see anything at all, and anyways oncoming headlights will totally blind it

you are much better off getting a mirror system like the Krugozor used in Russia
            Last edited by frankiman; 03-25-2011, 03:36 PM.
            sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

i have one of these. not a pin hole but i was going to hack into the side mirror and install it, but i got so lazy. I eventually got to thinking that in most situations it would provide a cool factor more than anything. I tend to fat joe it and lean "left".

Comment

Yeah, its useless trying to do this. It would be more dangerous to look down at your head unit and looking through a shitty camera rather than just leaning a foot and being sure.

Those mirrors are suppose to work good, other than being ugly.
                BNR32- Sold
                1998 Evolution V

Comment

One question I have about that mirror:

At night, will it not catch headlights from on-coming traffic?
                  Originally posted by kengeroo
                  that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                  ...don't drink and ebay
                  '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Yeah, probably.

It's not even needed anyways imo.
                    BNR32- Sold
                    1998 Evolution V

Comment

yeah its really not. if you really feel like you need it - get a little foldable mirror that you can pop open when required.
                      93 R33 GTST - DD
                      97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
                      2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Comment

I read a kijiji ad for a rhd the other day he said:

"Camera installed in left mirror for intersections and passing. (However, it is pretty useless)."

Lol.
                        BNR32- Sold
                        1998 Evolution V

Comment

Epic win lol
                          Originally posted by kengeroo
                          that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                          ...don't drink and ebay
                          '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Haha I was considering doing something.. my insurance broker charges me insane rates based on `how are you going to turn left or pass people?` so if you solve that problem they shouldn`t be able to say much... but you guys are probably right, they won`t care..lol

Comment

Originally posted by skreamz View Post
                              Haha I was considering doing something.. my insurance broker charges me insane rates based on `how are you going to turn left or pass people?` so if you solve that problem they shouldn`t be able to say much... but you guys are probably right, they won`t care..lol
                              Find another insurance broker, yours sounds useless.

Also if you are having problems in Alberta never move to Ontario.
                              1994 R32 GT-R V-Spec II

Originally posted by aN4rk1
                              Like frig, is it really that hard to spell properly on the "internetz"?? I don't know whether these guys just choose to spell like that or don't know HOW to spell...either way...WTF?

Comment

Working...
                              X