Skyline in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyline in USA

Ok so yes I know this is a Canadian Skyline thread and I know I'm a new member but I would like to share how to my knowledge you can import a R33 and ONLY an R33 into the U.S.
    To my knowledge you can't import a car that was not originally sold by the manufacturer in Canada that won't meet FMVSS and EPA guidelines. So the whole "Just bring one down from Canada." won't work. and the laws state it has to be 21 years old to not be Subject to EPA regulation in the U.S. and 25 years old to not be subject to safety regulations. That's what we all know for sure. We all know the story of Motorex and how they gave the Government some R33's to crash test so a R33 produced from 1/1996-6/1998 (I still don't know how to read the VIN numbers on the JDM skylines to figure out production date but I'm trying to find out.) is the only legal Import into the US. But that's just for safety reasons, now the problem is the fact that 1996 and newer vehicles in the US are Required to have OBDII and the R33 Skylines do not.
    So the solution I came up with? Buy a New updated tuning ECU(http://rawbrokerage.com/Haltech-Plat...6-HT055001.htm) and have it installed by the ICI (Independent Commercial Importer) Which the ICI has to do all modifications to the vehicle in order to meet US regulations before it can be released to you. So that solves the OBDII problem but you still need the added O2 sensor after the Catalytic converter in order to meet EPA requirements so you buy a Cat from (http://justjap.com/store/product.php...cat=275&page=1) which would also fit the RB20DET that was sold in the Z32 in the US and has the spot for the second O2 sensor so that would plug into the ECU and your R33 would US legal now.

SOOO to my knowledge a new ECU, New cat, and an extra O2 sensor from a z32 installed in the cat would make an R33 legal to own since they are already FMVSS approved.

Please someone tell me if I'm missing anything.
    I've been pouring over everything I can find on regulations regarding Import into US and I know this isn't a US forum but it's the only place I know to post this info.

You're in the wrong place...guys down in the states that have claimed to have done everything right still have their cars seized and crushed. Go to SOUSA and ask them. It's been covered so many times I'm surprised a google search couldn't turn up results.
    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

I probably am in the wrong I just thought it would work but I had done several searches and came up with nothing but I'll check SOUSA.

Comment

They are pretty much blacklisted, Its more around the california area where the govt is butthurt but thats the strictest state. They will take away any cars with the skyline name on it. Motorex did something dirty and they are looking to make an example out of skylines.

The blonde guy from F&F had an R34 imported after the second movie cause he loved the car so much and they govt seized it. It was imported by a different company in florida. I also read an article where a guy bought and built up a skyline and after 3 years of hard work they seized it in 2009 at random and the thing wasnt even street driven.
        Double track drift, yo.
        http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5228.gif

(oo sκylιnε oo)

Comment

I live in Arizona and I've owned two skylines. 32 & a 33. Both are registered and insured in AZ. Have AZ plates. I go thru emissions every couple years. Title says Nissan Skyline 2DR Coupe. There's ways around it.
          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti

Comment

AZ also allows people to import and register KEI trucks (Carry, HiJet, etc...) as a UTV and plate/drive them on the road. You can have a brand new one if you want. I think AZ is pretty free that way. Still doesn't protect you from the FEDs if they want to be dicks. Just like the state Pot Laws in WA and CO (with more on the way), its all fun and games untill the FED wants to make a stink....cant see them doing anything though.

Jon.
            Last edited by Dragon Humper; 11-18-2013, 07:50 PM.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

AZ has always been a state free to mod in almost any way. I can put in any motor in any car. Run without fenders. Really not much of enforcement. If you've been pulled over in AZ for custom mods, you've done something to get pulled over. Just gotta pass emissions. I love it here.
              "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti

Comment

Originally posted by Dankness_Himself View Post
                Ok so yes I know this is a Canadian Skyline thread and I know I'm a new member but I would like to share how to my knowledge you can import a R33 and ONLY an R33 into the U.S.
                To my knowledge you can't import a car that was not originally sold by the manufacturer in Canada that won't meet FMVSS and EPA guidelines. So the whole "Just bring one down from Canada." won't work. and the laws state it has to be 21 years old to not be Subject to EPA regulation in the U.S. and 25 years old to not be subject to safety regulations. That's what we all know for sure. We all know the story of Motorex and how they gave the Government some R33's to crash test so a R33 produced from 1/1996-6/1998 (I still don't know how to read the VIN numbers on the JDM skylines to figure out production date but I'm trying to find out.) is the only legal Import into the US. But that's just for safety reasons, now the problem is the fact that 1996 and newer vehicles in the US are Required to have OBDII and the R33 Skylines do not.
                So the solution I came up with? Buy a New updated tuning ECU(http://rawbrokerage.com/Haltech-Plat...6-HT055001.htm) and have it installed by the ICI (Independent Commercial Importer) Which the ICI has to do all modifications to the vehicle in order to meet US regulations before it can be released to you. So that solves the OBDII problem but you still need the added O2 sensor after the Catalytic converter in order to meet EPA requirements so you buy a Cat from (http://justjap.com/store/product.php...cat=275&page=1) which would also fit the RB20DET that was sold in the Z32 in the US and has the spot for the second O2 sensor so that would plug into the ECU and your R33 would US legal now.

SOOO to my knowledge a new ECU, New cat, and an extra O2 sensor from a z32 installed in the cat would make an R33 legal to own since they are already FMVSS approved.

Please someone tell me if I'm missing anything.
                I've been pouring over everything I can find on regulations regarding Import into US and I know this isn't a US forum but it's the only place I know to post this info.
                I have news for you. The only company that has successfully added a stand alone OBD2 system is JKTECHNOLOGIES. They did one car like that. I have it. If you have the money, You can have them do it. They are currently the ONLY RI/ICI that is certified to do this. There is NO OTHER company that has done it or can do it.
                Its alot more complicated than adding a cat and a Haltech....
                That is fact.

Comment

I have never heard of a completed obd2 system for the 96+ skylines. had no clue that JK developed one at all. that is so awesome! PM'd you for more info maximumboom.

Comment

We've been telling our customers that while we can export them a GT-R to California, registration is going to be nearly impossible. Getting past SMOG is one thing, but the ARB inspection is an entirely different story. I'm glad to hear there are developments that may help resolve the issues.
                    KUNIO MURAMOTO / SALES@GTR-GARAGE.COM

Comment

Originally posted by maxmumboom View Post
                      I have news for you. The only company that has successfully added a stand alone OBD2 system is JKTECHNOLOGIES. They did one car like that. I have it. If you have the money, You can have them do it. They are currently the ONLY RI/ICI that is certified to do this. There is NO OTHER company that has done it or can do it.
                      Its alot more complicated than adding a cat and a Haltech....
                      That is fact.
                      Yes, indeed. They quoted me a very large number to install a passable ODBII system into the Skyline/RB26 combo. The 25 y/o is upon the most famous GTR models so I don't see the necessity to have an ODBII system installed on a BNR34 for example. It seems like it would cheaper to have a company buy your BNR34 and hold it for 10 years until the 1999 BNR34 is conforming via the federal exemption.

To be honest (and if I'm still interested buy then), I won't go the Japanese route to buy a BNR34. I'll just buy a Canadian BNR34 as long as these fools don't ruine the BNR34s like they did with most of the BNR32s. Easy to drive across the border IMO.

Originally posted by GTR-Garage View Post
                      We've been telling our customers that while we can export them a GT-R to California, registration is going to be nearly impossible. Getting past SMOG is one thing, but the ARB inspection is an entirely different story. I'm glad to hear there are developments that may help resolve the issues.
                      California has some of the strictest emissions standards and usually sets the pace for the United States. As a matter of fact, I truly believe California was the main driving enforce that set the global standard for integrated OnBoard Diagnostics into all vehicles. I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all. It's the fact of the matter and we have to live with it for the most part.

California residents interested in Skylines are @#$%ed. California has a 1975 rule for emissions that trumps the Federal EPA 21 y/o to my understanding.
                      Smog inspections are required when you register or renew registration for a vehicle in California, but there are some exceptions.

However, Morris was able to import his Nismos and I believe them to be registered in California - the vehicle is not manufactured before 1975.
                      Show or Display allows vehicles to be exempt from Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Cars like the R34 , and 22B are some of just a few allowed.

Comment

If it is an '89 you only have to comply to 1989 standards. No OBD2.

However...."California Emissions" is a whole other kettle of fish, you will most likely have to find out what that entails for whatever year you have. OBD2 starts in 1996.

Jon.
                        Last edited by Dragon Humper; 04-26-2014, 01:26 AM.
                        Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
                        X