Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnecessary noise ticket

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post this here in the event anyone has already jumped through these hoops. Long story short, I got two tickets last summer, first one was thrown out, second one I'm taking to trial. I just got my disclose of what I'm being charged with. 8" diameter exhaust and could hear me sitting behind me with his windows up. Also wrote "hollywood style". Yes I can be heard but I'm not THAT loud. Plus, I get drowned out on a regular basis by NA released vehicles. Not even talking motorcycles (which apparently that argument doesn't go far)

I just did my e-test this summer to renew my plate and car was purchased from RightDrive, unchanged since. Its my DD right now so I don't mess around with it. I was informed my muffler was JASMA certified - has any one used this in court and did it hold up?
    Last edited by Spencer87; 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM.
    93 R33 GTST - DD
    97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
    2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Just to add, I'm confident I don't have anything to worry about but first time I'm going to trial so if there are any caveats to watch out for or any tips tricks to make sure I make a clean case for myself.
    93 R33 GTST - DD
    97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
    2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Comment

As far as i know a "hollywood" exhaust emits its fumes underneath the car. Therefore you wouldnt even see the exhaust. I never knew what that meant until an old timer at work told me about them. They were from the 70's making the law almost irrelevant now. Then again when i got pulled over for my exhaust the dink-nosed cop told me its also illegal for the exhaust to come past your bumper. I never got a ticket but it still made me think of how stupid some laws are. Does that make all exhausts illegal hahaha stupid government.
      Dang! You got shocks, pegs... Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Comment

I got pulled over, cop told me to call Nissan and order a stock exhaust, said anything other than stock was illegal, there were about 20 cars and trucks around, all had aftermarket exhaust,and most were louder than my car, he let me go

Comment

i got the same **** 2 months ago carless driving , Unnecessary noise ticket and , expired sticker **** 33 devision

Comment

I got one last month. He told me the tip was too big and its illegal to have an " enlarged exhaust " And that it was way to loud. Its a veilside evolution catback its one of the quietest ones available. Cops are just complete d- bags when it comes to imports
            1994 R33 GTS25-T

Comment

I have a nice loop hole here both my parents being lawyers have helped me tons.. 1st is if they cannot see your exhaust you will better chances not getting a ticket than if they can ex:
              My exhaust is 3'' from the turbo straight pipe to infront of the rear wheel and dumped at the ground with a nasty screamer pipe.. (loud as hell) everytime i get pulled over for it they ask how big it is.. all i say is i dont know and they can feel free to measure the tip to see if its to big and say its under the car somewhere. ( you cant see it unless the car is on jacks or your laying flat on the ground you can barely see the tip. generally they just give up. if they try to say its not factory and its modified simply say yes it is factory.. let them go through the work of trying to find nissans factory exhaust size and specs on a car that technically doesn't exist in north america

in alberta both work fantastic and i went from getting exhaust tickets and unnecessary noise tickets to not getting bugged anymore and medicine hat alberta is a retirement community with probably 70% over 60 years of age so i used to get bugged once a day minimum and have police outside of my court waiting for me to leave to see how high i would rev it leaving the block (old neighbors said i would bounce off the rev limiter leaving when really i would shift at 2000 every time when the car is warming up ..

* they must have a decible reader or spl meter to give you this ticket. because it has to be over a certain decibel before giving a ticket for it.
              Last edited by yanay; 11-17-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Been through the courts as well. It got thrown out because the office was a no-show!. However, read the thread .. some forum members comments might help!

Comment

Thanks for the link and reply guys. Appreciated.
                  93 R33 GTST - DD
                  97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
                  2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Comment

Haha so the cop was sick and charges withdrawn. Prosecutor had no idea what Hollywood style meant. I think he even asked another officer lol.
                    93 R33 GTST - DD
                    97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
                    2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Comment

Congrads bud!

Comment

I kinda wanted more of a resolution instead of potentially being back next time a cop wants to give me a hard time etc but when one does, I think I'll have a better conversation ready.

When the prosecutor suggested it be withdrawn, I almost wanted to say no lol.
                        93 R33 GTST - DD
                        97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
                        2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Comment

Lets geta few facts straight here...

This is relevant in ontario ..

Unnecessary noise is subject the interpretation of the officer stopping you , if you rev it unnecessarily, screech your tires or deliberately drive it to elevate the noise they they can ticket you for it . (this also includes stupidly loud stereos).

It is not illegal to use an aftermarket exhaust as long as it does not leak.

has a cat and at least 1 silencer/muffler .

The size of the pipe is irrelevant . But it cannot extend past the bumper as the tip could potentially burn a pedestrians leg.

It cannot exit under the vehicle as this may cause fumes to come into the cabin.

Must not be modified to prevent vehicle meeting emissions standards for that model / make of vehicle.

The police have the option to ticket you for excess noise , give you a vehicle defect form making you fix the offending issue or pulling your plates and inevitably making you tow your car home.

Now lets be realistic here .....

If your car looks like a bashed up piece of crap with obviously dubious mods then you are going to be given a hard time as the cops will use what ever they can as an excuse to get your piece of crap off the road.

If you drive like an idiot , the cops will use what ever opportunity they can find to remove you from the road .

If your car looks like its in good condition , isn't driven so that it sets off car alarms or wakes the dead , looks understated and carefully , skillfully upgraded they will not bother you .

That is straight from the horses mouth so to speak ( not mine )

Comment

I wish I could say I was driving like an ass and deserved it. But I saw the cop before I even got in my car, quick shifted to keep RPMS under 2000. All I'm getting at is it doesn't always matter the condition of your car and how you were driving it. It definitely helps, but thanks to the wonderful grey area with no actual decibel limits - its always the officers call. I haven't had this happen yet, but each time the prosecutor told me it was too loud, I simply replied no, its not unnecessary noise, thats how loud the car is. It has a cat and a muffler with a built in baffle. I wasn't revving or riding high RPMS. Why is it too loud? NA released vehicles drown out my car. Why is my car subject to different rules? I need proof because it was purchased from an OMVIC registered dealer as certified for ontario roads."

First time prosecutor just dropped it. Second time I had to go to Trial but before I found out the cop was sick, same conversation happened. I'll try to have a reasonable conversation with the next cop that wants to chat me up lol.
                            93 R33 GTST - DD
                            97 Legacy GT Sedan - RIP
                            2000 Buick LeSabre -RIP

Comment

the sad thing is some police officers have a bug up there ass about RHD. there's one in my area and he is pretty hard to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                              X