GB: RB26 Torque Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GB: RB26 Torque Plates

I don't know why this didn't strike me earlier....but I actually have a Client with a Water Jet and completely forgot untill now.....because I needed to collect money from them....lol

Anyways, Here's the deal:

I need to have atleast 3-4 RB26 Torque Plates Reserved PRIOR to being built. My contact is in the process of getting a quote together now based on material costs etc.
    **The reason for the amount is because of the minimum material needed to be ordered....unless they can find old pre-cut end-piece stock etc.....I may be able to order just 1 or 2.

I am hoping they come in at around $600-ish each, but may be more.....and I will let everyone know once I find out more info.

Once the quote is received, I will post here.

If you are willing to spend $1200 on an Oil Pump and still settle for OVAL Cylinder walls - perhaps you may want to reconsider your priorities.......

Interested parties will need to make a 50% NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT directly to the Water Jet Shop prior to any them going under the nozzle. I will be footing the initial bill for the materials, as I am getting one regardless.

They will be made from 1.5" STEEL and universal 92mm bore sizes (max 88mm + 4mm), as aluminium is just too damn expensive and will not last as long without serious work to the bolt holes in terms of top reinforcement (hardened shoulders or just washers, but still a pain....and LESS life).

If anyone is SERIOUSLY INTERESTED IN THIS and in return, doing your motor the RIGHT WAY, please post here.

I will be supplying them with a brand new head gasket, and possibly even a head that they will use to do the drawing file from, then their system will deliver the quote based on TIME and MATERIAL.....unfortunately, not untill then.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Allan

thats kind of expensive....... ours cost 400 each, 2 inch aluminum, moly forged bushings on the stud holes,

and thats the cost of only 1... if i had 5 or more made, it would have been 2-300$

Comment

Originally posted by malibusst View Post
      thats kind of expensive....... ours cost 400 each, 2 inch aluminum, moly forged bushings on the stud holes,

and thats the cost of only 1... if i had 5 or more made, it would have been 2-300$
      How can I order one from you ? I will pay ASAP.

Comment

although i dont have an RB26 or plan on doing any serious engine work, can you explain to me what a torque plate is and what it does?
        whats going to power my skyline come spring?

Comment

Originally posted by linedriver View Post
          although i dont have an RB26 or plan on doing any serious engine work, can you explain to me what a torque plate is and what it does?
          Imagine a dummy-cylinder HEAD, with holes that are the same size or larger than the pistons, that you can get through right down to the cylinder walls.

It simulates the head being on the block so that when you machine the block, it will be straight when the head back on. Torquing the head on can 'twist' the block a bit, so it's best to have all situations simulated to the best you can when machining.

otherwise, if you macihne with out a torque plate, once you torue the head on afterwards, it will pull or twist the block making the cylinders go out of true or a bit oval. This will not help the rings to either seal properly or last long. Blow-by City on NO time

Here is a Torque plate on a motor during machining:

Hope that helps.
          Allan

Comment

thanks for the explanation. i never would have thought the block can warp once the head was back on after it gets machined.

Comment

It still boggles my mind how everyone is willing to spend over $1,000 on an Oil Pump.....yet no one cares, for the most part, about Torque Plates.

Comment

its all about knowledge. when i was seriously considering building an RB24, i did factor in a $1000 oil pump, but something like a torque plate never came into the picture. then again, i didnt even hear about it until now.

Comment

I hear that.....knowledge is key and although I have not been a 'GTR' guy for long, I think I have become fairly well read on teh subject, taking EVERYONE's opinion and experiences into consideration.

At this point, I am willing to trade my own Parents in for an RB Torque Plate......lol

As mentioned above, the prices to get them locally made might be a little high, so if anyone knows of any for sale, from companies around or anywhere in teh world really....PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I WANT TO BUY ASAP.

Allan

Comment

XS Engineering had a few torque plates sitting in their shop recently. They most likely still have them. Shoot Troy (or Eric) an email seeing if they'll rent or sell one to you.

It's real easy to get carried away with a torque plate. To accurately replicate a head on a block while boring/honing, you can't simply bolt a piece of metal to the deck. Using the same material as the actual head to be used, similar thickness of the actual head, using the same type (brand, thickness) of head gasket with the dummy head as the actual head, and of course same torque specs and fasteners (head studs or bolts) as planned with the actual head as well. You also would not be re-using the head gasket and fasteners as their properties would be changed when using them on the torque plate.

You might be able to use a steel 1.5" thick plate to get the bores to distort very close to an aluminum head over 4" thick. You might also be able to use that 19/32" socket to get that damn 15mm bolt off because your neighbour borrowed your 15mm socket and hasn't returned it. It all depends on how you use the tool.
                    Dan Hofman
                    DnA Garage - the performance gene
                    www.dnagarage.ca

Comment

Working...
                    X