Ghost Peppers !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Peppers !!!!

Well a while back i decided to do something totally foolish and started growing Ghost Pepper's (aka Bhut Jolokia)... for those of you who do not know Ghost Peppers are the hottest pepper out there right now... I have a couple different plants growing and they are begining to bear fruit... Since these peppers are sofa king hot i will be unable to use all of them all the time but would like to offer the peppers for sale...as the peppers grow and i get more and more i will also start drying peppers, making pepper powders, and selling seeds... and eventually if this lil hobby of mine grows like my peppers do i will get a website...im also beginging to make hot sauces... currently i have a habanero/ghost pepper mash fermenting and when its done depending on its heat, flavour, and yeild i may continue with that recipe or experiement more... once i have found a recipe i can truly call may own that is HOT and flavourful i will begin offering hot sauce for sale as well...

so as of right now i am only able to offer fresh peppers and have them shipped to your door... the usual 3-7 day courier is more than adequate to get the pepper to you...

If you have never heard of these peppers or tried anything hotter than a jalepeno i will warn you that the heat these peppers give off is unlike anything you have ever experienced... even if you can chomp back habaneros like they are candy, ghost peppers are a different level of heat entirely....so if you wanna show off how tough you are, or prank someone really badly, or maybe just cook with it and make 500gal. of mild chili... then this pepper is for you...

my ghost peppers weigh an average of 4 grams... and will sell fresh peppers for 15$ each + shipping... (the price will change when the post office is off strike)

feel free to PM or ask questions here
    How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
    \'03 Dodge SX2.0
    \'90 GTR32

Thats awesome.. Man VS Food made me aware of these epic peppers.

In 2007, the ghost pepper was determined to be the hottest naturally-occurring pepper on Earth. Learn more on EarthSky.

They are only like 400 times hotter then jalepeno.
    Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Just out of curiosity what made you try growing these peppers?

Also another question... I do work in a produce department and deal with pricing of everything on a regular basis. Mainly our jalepeno, cubanelle, yellow hot, chilli, and Jamaican hot usually run around 3.99/lb. Are you going to be selling these for 15$ a gram? Or will you be providing a small bundle of peppers for that?
      Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by cschepp View Post
        Just out of curiosity what made you try growing these peppers?

Also another question... I do work in a produce department and deal with pricing of everything on a regular basis. Mainly our jalepeno, cubanelle, yellow hot, chilli, and Jamaican hot usually run around 3.99/lb. Are you going to be selling these for 15$ a gram? Or will you be providing a small bundle of peppers for that?
        i started growing them cause habaneros were at the time what i thought not hot enough so i googled "hottest pepper" and got the ghost peppers... got some seeds and started growing them...

while it appears expensive at $15 per pepper average weight is about 4g, its actually cheaper than anyone else... my nearest competition who is located in seattle wa. sells fresh peppers for $40 each... you can get dried, smoked, powdered and some other products for cheaper, but i currently dont have any of those to offer, but i do intend on growing into such things...

at my nearest save-on-foods i can get habaneros for 4.99/lb but i grow them myself as well and i get a much better product... many times i see peppers at produce depts start to shrivel up because they have been on the shelf for days and days... that also affects pricing... the peppers im selling do not get taken from the plant until they are ready to be shipped out... but as time goes on and peppers continue to grow i will have to dry or smoke peppers, or make them into sauces, if they dont sell or get used up...

these pepper plants will live for 5-7 years and produce hundreds of peppers, my plants arent even 1 yr old yet...

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
        \'03 Dodge SX2.0
        \'90 GTR32

Comment

Well from a business perspective I can see where your coming from. There are many people out there that will be curious and might not want to spend that on such items because they are unsure if they will like it or not. Me personally what I have done throughout our business is start the price off a little lower so curiosity doesn't cost so much and once the clientel gets where it needs to be slowly raise the pricing to where it needs to be. If you do this I think you'll make out great!

Now another question out of curiosity for me is are they organic or will you be using a pesticide of some sort to prevent them from shriveling up and possibly blistering? This would be a great thing for you to do as well to provide an excellent product for the customer.

If I was personally doing it I would be providing organic locally and then the other for the out of town customers with the others.

But in the long run man produce is always full of win. Everyone always eats produce and always will to stay healthy. As long as your prices are competitive you always have a job man, and if the quality is there I could see you becoming a very wealthy person.
          Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

yup organic... no pesticides... i self pollinate the ones inside my house and haventr had any bug issues... and the ones outside have been bug free as well, if i had a bug problem id grab lady bugs from around my yard(there are lots) and put them on the plants... and using natural fertilizer normally used for tomatoes...

with pricing of my peppers high in comparison to other peppers available in a super market setting, just 1 pepper is hotter than 100 jalepenos... so when you compare prices its actually cheaper in terms of how much heat you get...

the fresh peppers are the most expensive item you can get when it comes to ghost peppers... dried, smoked, powdered or even a full pepper put into a single 50ml bottle of hot sauce are all cheaper... part of that is shelf life...

im also not on a huge scale... yet... maybe one day, but right now i have 3 ghost pepper plants... 2 outside and 1 inside... i plan on growing more in the future, and definetly will have to should this become a bussling business, but right now its literally just a hobby, which is why my prices are so low... if i was gonna go full scale business i would have higher prices that are more competitive against other growers... instead of undercutting by over half, id undercut by a few dollars... heres who id be competing against... http://www.ghostpeppers.com/index.php i dont have the time, plants or expeirence to offer what he offers... down the road perhaps... but its literally just a hobby for me now...

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
            \'03 Dodge SX2.0
            \'90 GTR32

Comment

I got dibs on three peppers.
              These peppers in India are used as a rub on fences to keep the elephants from crashing thru them.
              Also, youtube has some great vids of those who dare.
              Last edited by beacher1B0; 06-27-2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

well just an update, i have so far sold nearly every pepper i have grown... i sold 3 to beacher180, 3 to a local friend, 1 to another friend, and gave one to a local mexican resturant in hopes they will start buying lots... currently there is only 1 available, and about 10 more green ones on the tree

ive also got a pretty tasty hot sauce im gonna start making... ive got a few bottles im able to sell currently, but the rest is fermenting right now and will be made later... its a habanero ghost pepper sauce, its very very hot, the bottles are just over 20ml, it only takes a few drops to add alot of heat to some food... its hot enough to make you sweat but not quite hot enough to make you give up... the current bottles are $10+shipping, but in the future i will have larger bottles at 57ml for $20+shipping...

i am also intending to make a pure ghost pepper sauce, but this depends on amount of peppers available, if i sell them all fresh to that resturant i wont be able to make any, unless i put some aside just for it...but if i do that it will be a fairly costly sauce, but hey when 1 drop is all you need to make any dish regretfully hot it is worth it.... especially if a friend happens to pour a bunch on some food and not know what they just did until they take a nice big bite

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
                \'03 Dodge SX2.0
                \'90 GTR32

Comment

We have these growing in our garden in the backyard, I hvent been brave enough to try one yet lol
                  I've been brushing my teeth with jack but it's resulted in terrible amounts of tooth decay.

Comment

ive got at least 10 ghost peppers that are currently ready for harvest... buy some now before they are all gone and you have to wait until next cycle...

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
                    \'03 Dodge SX2.0
                    \'90 GTR32

Comment

Working...
                    X