X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS Giken Cross Gear Set

I'm gauging interest on a group buy for the OS Giken Cross Gear Set

Here is the link with the specs (gear ratios vs stock):

This is reputed to be one of the best upgrades we can do to a stock R32 transmission.

I was going to order the 1,2,3 cross kit with stock input shaft myself.

There are other options such as
    Hollinger input shaft, strengthened 5th gear

The prices listed on this page are Japanese MSRP. A Japanese tuner shop I used to order from when I was in Okinawa said they can do the MSRP + shipping to North America ~$150.

If anyone is interested, or has a better option, please let me know.
    I have emailed RHDJapan, since they offer better pricing, but I'm not sure about the shipping. I will share that if they give me the terms for a group buy.

Here are the links for them:
    1,2,3,4,5 WITHOUT input shaft
    RHDJapan offers the best quality performance parts made in Japan including Nismo, Mugen, Defi, Spoon, Cusco, Tomei, HKS and other JDM brands.

1,2,3,5 with input shaft
    RHDJapan offers the best quality performance parts made in Japan including Nismo, Mugen, Defi, Spoon, Cusco, Tomei, HKS and other JDM brands.

1,2,3 WITHOUT input shaft

1,2,3 with input shaft

Note: There is no additional charge to get a Hollinger input shaft versus a standard one, however, that will affect your clutch choices.

Thanks!

I'm interested on what kind of price we'll be talking about. The prices are already pretty fair so I'm definitely interested.

sent from a galaxy far, far away

Comment

Black, looks like the sale is over. Thanks for the notice though. Ryan at Vex was pretty helpful, but I RHD stiill had better pricing.

Nimblestix, I'm going to send you a PM to let you know what I was able to find so far.

Comment

Curious if it's necessary to upgrade the input shaft when 3rd gear is the main culprit when it comes to things breaking in the transmission?

Comment

@kabob, I think it depends on how much power you plan on putting down and how. You are right 3rd gear is usually the main culprit, but if that has already been strengthened, the input shaft might be a weak point on a 800+ HP monster, especially in a launch situation However, that's speculation as I haven't heard of any examples where an input shaft has failed.

I think I am going to go with the OSG kit, which means I will have a spare gearset if anyone might be interested. I could get it cryo treated which would make the hardness more uniform across the gears. Usually quoted around 20%+ more reliability that way.

Anyway, probably would look for ~$500 for the stock kit having had cryo treatment. Otherwise, I could sell the gears alone for around ~$175.

(I'll be hanging on to the 5th gear though)
          Last edited by maxster17a; 10-17-2014, 03:29 AM.

Comment

interesting! I guess its worth it if i have 600whp and want to launch on awd?!
            My sky got 99 problems but to find bitches ain't one

Once you go sky; Parts you're going to buy...

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that the front drive shaft is actually the weak point in a full awd launch. Makes sense if you take a look at the actual shaft, not nearly as robust as the rear.

Comment

Saw this up for sale on YAJ. I don't know enough about transmission internals, but it might be a good deal for somebody if they're in the market for an upgrade.

ヤフオク!は、誰でも簡単に売り買いが楽しめる、日本最大のネットオークションサイトです。圧倒的な商品数を誇るヤフオク!で、落札・出品してみませんか?補償制度もあります。

There was also this one, but again, I can't read the Japanese. I think it has at least a 1,2,3 kit in it.
                ヤフオク!は、誰でも簡単に売り買いが楽しめる、日本最大のネットオークションサイトです。圧倒的な商品数を誇るヤフオク!で、落札・出品してみませんか?補償制度もあります。

Comment

Have not heard of many people actually breaking the front drive shaft. Your factory front diff is definitely a weak point if you will be launching the car of have a ton of torque.

Originally posted by maxster17a View Post
                  Saw this up for sale on YAJ. I don't know enough about transmission internals, but it might be a good deal for somebody if they're in the market for an upgrade.

There was also this one, but again, I can't read the Japanese. I think it has at least a 1,2,3 kit in it.
                  http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c461199520

Comment

Originally posted by maxster17a View Post
                    @kabob, I think it depends on how much power you plan on putting down and how. You are right 3rd gear is usually the main culprit, but if that has already been strengthened, the input shaft might be a weak point on a 800+ HP monster, especially in a launch situation However, that's speculation as I haven't heard of any examples where an input shaft has failed.

I think I am going to go with the OSG kit, which means I will have a spare gearset if anyone might be interested. I could get it cryo treated which would make the hardness more uniform across the gears. Usually quoted around 20%+ more reliability that way.

Anyway, probably would look for ~$500 for the stock kit having had cryo treatment. Otherwise, I could sell the gears alone for around ~$175.

(I'll be hanging on to the 5th gear though)
                    this is the route im going. For your information, theres a company in AUS who do a 1-2-3 + input shaft for 2000$, reimax does it too and so do os giken.

At the end, if you don't care about the gear ratio change, and just want stronger gear. you might as well get your gearset cryo_shot pen +WPC for about 500$ and be safe.

then you can always upgrade both diff and then the shaft and then the axle. depends how hard you abuse your car i guess. I barely do so i feel the 500$ for the gearset + front and rear diff will do just fine for me.
                    Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Working...
                    X