Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ Just because you go there and see the car doesnt meen you know exactly what your getting. Like adam said you would not know the language to finding a dealer and trying to haggle with aggressive used car sales men is hard NOT to mention if there speakig another language. And to source a mechanic to come and look at the car and give you the honest truth. personally i would just find a good importer that i can trust (adam Cough) or a dealer that has cars in canada that speak english that I can see (J.I.ca) Plus if i went to tokyo i would want to see the sites and enjoy myself not stressing out about a car.
    You can't doubt the existance of hell when you live in it

Comment

Yes buyer beware.
      Many of you importers probably know which cars tend to go to the auctions...
      Try to get the car working perfectly in Japan before it gets here and get extra parts to come with it.
      I tend to like the used car industry in Japan, they are typically honest and do not want a bad reputation.
      They have lots of competition.
      Auction grades are accurate...within +-15% (honestly 1-5? it's like a test in grade one or something).

That being said we are buying from a pool of some of the best maintained cars in the world. Owned by some of the most enthusiastic automobile owners in the world.
      I'm sure I can get everybody to agree on that.

So yes, buyer beware.
      Or rather be aware...

Comment

private seller ALL THE WAY got mine from a guy in quebec he was a great dude to get it from, told me if i had any questions ever call him offered to put the car on a lift for me and seemed pretty legit, inclueded the private import papers, and the origional car purchase receipt im the 3rd owner, 1st was some jap lady than him than me... kijiji can be ur best friend.
        1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R Sold

1991 Gts-T Sold

1989 Gts-T Sold

1992 GT-R What did i get myself into again...

Comment

6 years later and this thread is still extremely useful.

Having owned three imported Rhd cars, two from dealers and one private, my best word of advice would be to buy privately. For those who want a good running car that can be used daily or made for track purposes, private sales are more than fine if you know what to look for.

However if you're willing to open up your wallets for a showroom car, dealerships are an option but only certain ones with reputable cars. (RightDrive, etc)
          1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Working...
          X