Huge R35 updates, details, cutaways and new colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge R35 updates, details, cutaways and new colors

Can we say that a manual tranny will be out of the question?

well maybe not but there doesn't seem to be alot of space for anything.:drive:

3 FMIC?
    Marc-André
    _________
    2.2L RB20 GTS-T
    ECU modification enabled - PM me for details

Comment

Why is everyone so hung up on the manual? The new gen trannys are pimp. I had the R-tronic in the R8. Thing shifts way fast than I ever could. Even blips the throttle on downshift.

The GTR shifts in 200 milliseconds and always keeps the torque to the ground. The only advantage with manual went out the window too when the GTR cranked out 3.3 0-60mph.

Damn you should have seen the 8-speed in the 416hp IS-F it was gangster!

Its the way it is now, multiple gears and faster shifts than humans. Clutch pedal is dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Z-Tuned View Post
        Why is everyone so hung up on the manual? The new gen trannys are pimp. I had the R-tronic in the R8. Thing shifts way fast than I ever could. Even blips the throttle on downshift.

The GTR shifts in 200 milliseconds and always keeps the torque to the ground. The only advantage with manual went out the window too when the GTR cranked out 3.3 0-60mph.

Its the way it is now, multiple gears and faster shifts than humans. Clutch pedal is dying.
        ya i love the new gen trannys..the smg in my m3 is awesome... with the traction control off and the tranny set to full aggressiveness, nothing can shift faster and with that much perfection..ergo, i cant wait to see what the r35s tranny feels like..

dave: did the r8 have a launch control feature?
        My collection:

Zenitani GTR aka BARNEY (sold)
        AE2000 (Team Toyo Street)
        Gruppe M NSX (bros car- Team Toyo Street)
        E46 M3- DD w/ HRE 841rs

Comment

read this at 3 am last night, good read. I hope i can be one of those lucky enough to drive one.

Comment

Originally posted by ZENITANI_GTR View Post
            ya i love the new gen trannys..the smg in my m3 is awesome... with the traction control off and the tranny set to full aggressiveness, nothing can shift faster and with that much perfection..ergo, i cant wait to see what the r35s tranny feels like..

dave: did the r8 have a launch control feature?
            I'm really liking the latest trannys. VW/Audi DSG, Lambo e-gear, Ferrari F1 (120 milliseconds), Lexus Super ECT 8spd and I know I'm gonna love the GTR transaxle how pimp is that thing?

e46 SMG set the new benchmark and other companies are competing.

I didn't find the launch control for the R8 but it was ripping mid-4s when you just stomped it. Plus it was my first loaner from Audi, so I drove like a granny

Comment

Originally posted by Z-Tuned View Post

^^agreed.

There are a lot of people out there who seem almost offended if a car is not offered with a stickshift and a clutch pedal. Back 30 years ago people were doing the same things about syncros :-D

Relax people...its a technology-based hobby we have, expect changes and embrace them.

Its funny...most people I speak to who hate the paddle shifters are normally the guys who have never tried one themselves or owns a beat up S13 that they think will decimate all. :roll: I love my manual tranny in my nsx, but I plan to have a fully automated twin-clutch setup in one of my future cars soon!

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

True true you really have to row through those new gears to experience it.

I'd love to ditch my 5-speed and get a Hollinger 6-speed sequential but its not street friendly. Plus its not nearly advanced as whats coming down the pipe!

Originally posted by dudie View Post
                read this at 3 am last night, good read. I hope i can be one of those lucky enough to drive one.
                Well just got my international license so I should have some impressions for ya :-p

Comment

The one thing the standard tranny still has going for it is the simplicity. I doubt I could rebuild one of those semi-auto boxes myself in my garage. The repair cost is a big factor also. What kind of power can the new GTR box handle i wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by bignate View Post
                    The one thing the standard tranny still has going for it is the simplicity. I doubt I could rebuild one of those semi-auto boxes myself in my garage. The repair cost is a big factor also. What kind of power can the new GTR box handle i wonder?
                    very good point Nate..however, they are alot more durable than a regular tranny since it is controled to perfection by a computer BUT one little computer glitch and your screwed..lol...besides the computer glitch, theyre pretty much bulletproof as far as wear and tear..

navin..
                    My collection:

Zenitani GTR aka BARNEY (sold)
                    AE2000 (Team Toyo Street)
                    Gruppe M NSX (bros car- Team Toyo Street)
                    E46 M3- DD w/ HRE 841rs

Comment

I've driven a mazda rx8 with paddle shifters. i know their system is by no means leading edge but for me it's more FUN shifting through a 5 speed with my left hand, or right for that matter. On the track nothing will touch a complex millisecond shift but how often on the road would it be used to it's maximum potential. 10 years from now it'll be the norm and we'll wonder how we ever drove manually shifting gears.
                      Tџяϊsмř

Comment

I just really don't like paddles for competition use. I mean shifting is a huge part of the skill of racing. When your driving on the edge you mess up a shift and you're getting passed by somebody who didn't. I can't form an opinion on paddles since i've never driven a car with them but IMO i can't see it being more fun to drive than standard.

Comment

There is no way you could service one anyway. For example the Getrag in the M5, no serviceable parts. A bushing goes and you replace it the whole thing. Same deal on my 7-series Steptronic...no parts available just get a new one in a crate.

But they are starting to get really badass like in the M5 croygen treated and an output shaft 1.5-inches thick!

Originally posted by bignate View Post
                          I can't form an opinion on paddles since i've never driven a car with them but IMO i can't see it being more fun to drive than standard.
                          Meh it grows on you they shift so fast! The R8 blips the throttle for you its nuts...plus left foot braking is madness!

Comment

Originally posted by JZ View Post
                            ^^agreed.

There are a lot of people out there who seem almost offended if a car is not offered with a stickshift and a clutch pedal. Back 30 years ago people were doing the same things about syncros :-D

Relax people...its a technology-based hobby we have, expect changes and embrace them.

Its funny...most people I speak to who hate the paddle shifters are normally the guys who have never tried one themselves or owns a beat up S13 that they think will decimate all. :roll: I love my manual tranny in my nsx, but I plan to have a fully automated twin-clutch setup in one of my future cars soon!

Manual versus Paddle...

I agree technology changes and Paddle will take over but at some point or another one asks... where is the fun in that?

soon they'll have totally automated cars that can drive themselves... probably develop ones that can drive it on the track for you and better than you...

but you ask yourself... where's the fun in that?

i think some of the alure about stick is the idea of you being more one with the car more connected to what is going on and what the car is going through... you have a more hands on feel...

sorta like DJing, (ex Dj's can relate) sure the CD mixers came along and they provided clearer sound and faster song selection... but you lost that "hands on feel" that you had with vinyl (might be slower, might not sound as clear but the feeling was better)... which is why some DJ's just won't switch or have switched to another technology that still allows for that vinyl touch feel...

not saying paddle is garbage, far from it... its a far superior tech now... but i think it sorta takes away from the *root* driving experience that most of us here crave (or we wouldn't be driving 15yr old cars :P)
                            Team TBA sponsored by YOKOHAMA: YOKOHAMA, Feast AE/RS, Titoboy Approved, Importfest, NextMOD, DSPEED.

http://www.facebook.com/TitoboyApproved "like" us #doWhatULove

Comment

It's all about evolution IMO. But racers need to embrace that evolution by learning to drive with a stickshift and then get theirs hands on new gen gearboxes. A lot of people complaining about the new gearboxes don't know or have never tried to heel-toe on a race track (doing it on the street is different from doing it while racing!). Then you can appreciate all the work being done by those new trannys. But I have to agree that it does kill, in some way, the good old drivin' experience!
                              1990 Veilside Edition Skyline GT-R

Comment

Working...
                              X