Say no to Mark-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say no to Mark-ups

I have talked to 5 GTR waitlist people in my car club.

We have all agreed to say no to any mark-up when we get called.
    Seriously, and I believe them and will not be paying the mark-up.

These are all high end car owners and the rationale is, we are all taking a hit at resale, so why take the hit prepurchase "there are a lot of cars you can have fun with in this price range, includint 3 year old turbos and GT3s

So lets stick together and say no to dealer markups. (I have also been told by two high end dealership owners that they believe Nissan wants to keep the price at MSRP and will allocate fewer cars to dealers that Mark-up if they hear about it)

Radd_GTR

Want mine at a fair price

Dude,

Ever year hear in Economic term demand and supply??

Bare in mind there will be only 500 cars in Canada in the next 5 years life span for the GTRs, this is according to the sources in Fresh alloys, GTR Sections.

Furthermore, there will be people willing to pay at that price, it might not be you or rest of us, yet there will be someone willing to pay.

Nismo 200R

Comment

Don't buy one then, it doesn't bother me.

Comment

well you guys can pay whatever you want , but the sooner the smart money saids no the sooner the pricing goes to where nissan wants it to land. I'm fifth so likely wont get one until spring 09, by then the mark-up craze will be likely be over.

saw a 2006 DB9 going for $100,000 in LA. I mean really there are lots of toys in this price range

Comment

Nissan doesnt want dealers to mark up. I would contact Nissan Canada if your dealer is marking it up. Too bad its such a long wait here...
          Mark
          (OO\______/OO)

Comment

MSRP or nothing

It only makes sense at $81,900. If you price it high, the most attractive feature of the car, the bang/dollar, is lost.

I'll wait if I have to, have you looked at 2008 Z06 prices lately?
            $10,000 discount...

Comment

I'm fifth at Jonkers in surrey, but I'll wait too.

I think I'll go used GT3 from states if they wont let me have it at MSRP.

My guess is I'll get it if I hang tough at teh negotiations, will let you know

Comment

While I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of selling the GTR at MSRP, you have to remember that those dealerships who are demanding a premium will have no trouble finding someone to replace you (and your friends) as buyers. It's just the reality of having limited numbers and a great deal of consumer interest (including those who are willing to pay a markup on the price).

However, that being said, I would like to see Nissan step in and tackle this issue, as it's putting a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of prospective buyers. I know that the MSRP is a suggested price, but why bother marketing such an attractive price as a selling point when the reality is few will actually be able to purchase it anywhere near that price? They're starting to take a PR hit over the whole issue. I think that limiting the # of GTRs to dealers who sell above MSRP is a step in the right direction.
                2012 Deep Pearl Blue Black Edition GT-R

Some say my teeth glow in the dark...
                And that if you tune your radio to 88.4 FM you can actually hear my thoughts...

All we know is, I'm called The Stig

Comment

It doesn't matter if mark-up is right or wrong, because if you don't buy it - I guarantee someone else will.
                  1991 Black GTR

Comment

I'm not so sure that is true for the long run. look at the Z06, Miata, S2000, even Aston Martins, eventually they sit on the lot and people move on.

If I and some of my like minded friends walk, we might not come back, whereas at MRSP we will buy, so maybe its a matter of how long they keep this car this hot. 3 years vs 4? yes only 150 or so this year, maybe 300 next, but how many people really willig to pony up $100,000 (After taxes and prep and everything even at MSRP) to put it on the road

one thing I'm sure of, other companies are not just sitting back, there are going to be alot of interesting choices the next three years.

So I like BlackLIghts Moto, MRSP or nothing!

hopefully I'll be in one next spring!

Take it to the track!

Comment

I have signed a pre-delivey form

agreeing that I don't care if the vehicle makes strange noises during operation...

Jonker wants $99,000 before tax
                      Morrey : $119,000
                      Richmond: $99,900
                      Regency: $81,900
                      WestCoast: $99,000

I am #3 at Jonker, but I am seriously considering to go to Regency, only thing is, I'll be #25...
                      I also have #12 spot at a Montreal dealer, which is probably late this year or early next.

What to do?

Comment

So if they give you one at MSRP,what's to stop you from gouging someone else? At least they might have some penalties from Nissan Canada but private market there is no recourse.

Why hop on a dealer list in Montreal as well? Is that your intention Blacklight?

My buddy was on the list for the SL55 @MSRP when it debuted and he had to sign a contract that he wouldn't sell it for a period of one year.

Comment

Msrp In Canada

We are already paying $10,000 over the US MSRP. Why would anyone let some gready dealer sucker them into more? The "HIPE" will eventually die down, and unless one has too much money to burn they will fell like a sucker! The dealers are only testing all of us by talking about markups, and see how much they can squeeze out of us before we say no!!!

Comment

First come, first served

"What is to stop me from gouging someone else?"
                            The fact that this person could get it for MSRP if he choose to wait. I already had my 2 year wait.

Let's call the potential profit I could make a reward for letting the dealer sit on $10,000 of mine for a longer than a year.

But, I have been talking to them for more than 2 years, he knows I will drive it locally, service it with him and be a rolling billboard for his dealership.

Lets put it this way, do you feel he should make $20k above the profit from MSRP, just because he can?

Do you think the vehicle is value for money at that price point?

Anyway, it is not just my intention, I am on the Montreal dealer's list, in spot #12.

Comment

Its just supply and demand. I mean with the limited quantities for Canadian GT-Rs they can get away with it - I would. I talked with Nissan HQ and they weren't too concerned to stop it. Probably because it boosts the hype of the car/brand and profile maybe preparing the public for a price hike or the V-Spec?

I wondered way back when if putting a deposit down would be good speculation but I'd be pissed about the markup too.

I believe Nissan is losing money on this car. All the marketing, R&D, hand built, JGTC racing program etc... Just look at the replacement parts gouge:

front rotors = $1000ea
                              front pads = $800
                              engine = $30,000
                              transmission = $20,000
                              wheels = $1000ea

These are approx. I have the list somewhere but clearly what they didn't get up front they plan to get back.

Comment

Working...
                              X