Porsche Claims Nissan GTR Cheated the 'Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Claims Nissan GTR Cheated the 'Ring

Porsche released a statement claiming that they believe an enhanced version of the GTR was used or different spec tires were used to achieve the 7:29:03 time on the Nürburgring. They used a GTR themselves, pitted against a 911 Turbo with times up to 25 seconds slower.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/p...ating-the-ring

I think that Porsche has got a lot of guts to make a claim like this. I hope they have considered the reputation of their name and the consequences they could suffer if they were proved wrong. On the flip side, if Nissan did cheat I can't imagine the world of hurt them and the GTR would go through.

The tough part is that there is a lot of gray area with this. I mean different drivers, different specs (US spec GTR vs JDM or possibly a V-Spec).

I am interested to see where this goes but given my bias I am confident that Nissan was honest with their claim. Don't prove me wrong Nissan!!!
    Just one step on my way to Eleventy Billion horsepower.
    --------------------------------

There is only one way to settle this.

5 lap nurburgring showdown. Standing start at the traditional start/finish line on the course. GTR, 911 Turbo, ZR1, ACR viper.
    1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
    2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
    2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

This calls for a Best Motoring style showdown!! :drive:

Comment

Well, here's the original Nissan press release from www.gtrnissan.com . I guess Porsche is saying they were out and out lying about which tires they were using, which is a pretty big claim to make.

May 1, 2008 - GT-R among the fastest ever production road cars at the 'Ring -

Nissan today announced that its GT-R supercar achieved a lap time at the infamous Nürburgring in Germany of 7 minutes and 29 seconds. Recorded on April 16 and 17, the GT-R used was a base specification car and fitted with the standard Japanese market tyres. Driven by GT-R chief test driver Tochio Suzuki, this latest lap time beats the previous fastest time for the GT-R by nine seconds.

The previous best lap time for GT-R of 7:38, also driven by Suzuki, was one of the fastest laps achieved by a production car despite conditions being slightly damp on two corners.

"At last year's testing, we were frustrated by the conditions at the Nürburgring, always believing that the GT-R could go under seven minutes 30 seconds," said Kazutoshi Mizuno, Chief Vehicle Engineer for GT-R. "Below seven minutes 30 seconds, the GT-R proves it is among the fastest mass-production cars in the world. We set out to build a multi-performance supercar accessible to anyone, anytime and anywhere - I believe the GT-R has delivered that promise."

Deliveries of the all-new GT-R began in Japan in December 2007. Sales in the US and Canada start in July and extend to Europe and other markets over the next 12 months.
        2012 Deep Pearl Blue Black Edition GT-R

Some say my teeth glow in the dark...
        And that if you tune your radio to 88.4 FM you can actually hear my thoughts...

All we know is, I'm called The Stig

Comment

Originally posted by Terrh View Post
          There is only one way to settle this.

5 lap nurburgring showdown. Standing start at the traditional start/finish line on the course. GTR, 911 Turbo, ZR1, ACR viper.
          Car And Driver did a smiliar comparison in august's issue but it was at button willow raceway it's only a 2.7 mile track which is no comparison to Nurburgring which is 12.9 miles.. nor does it have 33 right turns and 40 rights...lol but it has some real good straights and sweeping turns smiliar to nur. viper acr had the best lap time with a 1:55/84 mph the GTR ran 2:01/80.3 mph vipers a little more exspensive than the gtr starting at 98,100!! Porsche is going out on a limb making a claim like that though.... there a repilable company and i dont think theyd say it unless they have proof.
          here is the video of Tochio Suzuki driving the record 7.29 run at nurburgring You be the judge:

Thanks to Nissan Europe for this footage of the GT-R making its record breaking 7:29.03 lap of the Nordschleife

Comment

Tough to say, the Top Gear test track isn't really close to the Nur but the GTR did pretty damn good against the big boys... They beat the Porsche Carrera GT

2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
            2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
            2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
            1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

So, what are they going to do now - repeat every comparo test done by the mags and other testers, but on their own terms? I don't see how it is relevant and quite honestly I think putting out a statement like this does more harm to their brand than good.

They should have kept their "who cares about a 70K Nissan" attitude. After all, that's what most of their customers can identify with, since they buy a Porsche primarily for its brand image.
              OnTrackDriver.com - Internet Community of Track Drivers

Comment

Think about this. Porsches takes it's own car again it's current "rival." Lets say they ran the GTR faster then their own car. Do you think we'd be hearing about it? Obviously When porsche tests them Porsche will be fast and vise versa. They need to both bring a car on the same day and start off 5 min apart with their chosen drivers.

that way all conditions will be the closest, make sure they are true production cars. Let them have at it.

The worst part is that in a marketing standpoint this actually matters, unfortunetly people base they buying decisions on this stuff.
                Tџяϊsмĝ

Comment

Nissan tells Porsche to STFU. I love this: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/09/n...hurt-yourself/

Man, all this makes me wanna just go out and pick up a GTR just to piss off my 911 friends

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

"Nissan looking at Porsche's test and basically saying "yer doin it wrong" to the German automaker. Chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno has graciously offered remedial driving classes to the driver for Porsche's lapping session"

Hahaha thats a major Cut .. i love it
                    Its Crack
                    91 R32 GTS-TM ---RIP------
                    93 R33 GTS-25t ---SOLD----
                    93 R32 GTR ---FOR SALE----

Comment

Sounds like Porsche isn't enjoying their sour grapes.
                      My Garage:
                      1990 Nissan Skyline GTR Nismo Edition - Action Hotdog Go!
                      2008 Audi RS4 - Hand Banana
                      1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT- Dirty Winter Car
                      1988 Toyota Supra Base - Trojan Judas Hairnet Battle Tree.

Comment

Awww...look at what the GTR did...it made Porsche cry! LOL
                        I agree, Porsche should have stuck with marketing how well their car was made and marketing the Porsche emblem for the high-class-status it's known for. Well, at least the high-class-status it used to have, now that I'm hearing this, it seems to me as though Porsche's claim sounds similar to a little kid's argument about whose sand castle is better = not a classy move in the least . Anywho, GTR FTMFW!
                        1992 NISSAN 240SX - RB20DET POWER
                        1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

i completely agree with porsche's statement, i think that the gtr wishes it could do that time, but its true that nissan reps have admitted to using shaved tired and certain things that a stock gtr wouldnt come with to achieve that number.
                          Originally posted by Oakville
                          that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

Originally posted by doublejceballos View Post
                            i completely agree with porsche's statement, i think that the gtr wishes it could do that time, but its true that nissan reps have admitted to using shaved tired and certain things that a stock gtr wouldnt come with to achieve that number.
                            Not to burst your little bubble there, but Nissan has, time and time again, demostrated that they did NOT use anything that would not be on the regular production model car for those laps. In fact, their response to Porsche is to offer conclusive proof. They are offering to take Porsche out with a stock production car, and lap the Nuremburgring properly with it.

And in any case, Nissan has everything to gain by showing that their car can perform at the level they claim it can, and then have the car BEAT expectations. In fact, that's one of the primary design criteria/focus throughout all of its development stages. Go take a look at that National Geographic video that was posted here a few days ago.

But don't just take my word on this. Go do some actual research, go learn what the new R35 can do on your own. Lots of people are posting plenty of stuffs on the GT-R that's more than legitimate.

Comment

I think what Porsche has done is embarrassing.

Even if Porsche was right, they should have saved some professionalism as a company instead of whining like a child.

Comment

Working...
                              X