Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost It's X-factor

LOST IT'S X-FACTOR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can i start by saying the new GTR is an awesome and very special car in everyway.. But it's lost that special X-factor..
    After driving the my new GTR Even after chipping to 600bhp i can honestly say it's completely different than the previous three generations/models..
    I was left disappointed as to the on the limit handling of the new GTR. Anybody how has come to love the previous gtr for it's amazing ability to come alive in your hands when most cars fall off the scale may not find the new car to do this..
    The thing i most loved with models previous was the car let you do the driving and the electronics did'nt involve themselves in a way to spoil this.
    But not with the new GTR even with the traction control off the electronics hinder the ability for the car to be pushed or come alive.. .That X-factor has gone and .it's ability to be a drivers car gone with it .
    I am sure the extra weight it's put on won't help either which when pushed is there to see..
    I know you can't have it all in a car so if it is the case that the new GTR is heading for the bigger fatter GT market. Thus lots more electronics and sound proofing etc making it easier to drive for some people especially on long distances. Then fair enough but that speciel rawness has gone with it too.. In a nut shell the new GTR is a car for the play station generation.. Gutted!
    Cars- R35 GTR R34 GTR VW Golf Track Car
    Bikes - GSXR 1000 Road Bike Yamaha 0W01 Race Bike
    I'M JUST A NORMAL BLOODT BLOKE! A NORMAL BLOKE THAT LIKES A BIT OF TORTURE...chopper

Check this Nurburg Lap >
    skyline R34 vs porsche GT2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T739gw3UqY

Although I haven't driven an R35 (would trade spin in very capable R32 for the chance!) I've read an excellent letter to the editor of EVO mag that asserts the same principle.

EVO ran a comparison feature pitting the GTR against leaders in several categories. Z06 vette in the 1/4 mile, R8 on the UK B roads, 911 on the circuit... EVO's take was that the GTR schooled each of the others in their own strong suit, with the exception of the drag race with the vette. They had to add braking to put a checkmark in the win column for the GTR.

The letter to ed contrasted the description of driving the 911 on the circuit with that of the GTR. The thrill of getting the best from the 911 was captured in the writing. You could almost feel the car responding to driver inputs, turning in... taking a set.... balanced perfectly at the limit.... apex.... squat as the tires bite the tarmac... sliding slightly during track out.... The author spoke of the satisfaction of turning as good a lap as he'd ever turned in the 911. FUN!

He went a second and a half faster in the GTR. His description of the experience used language like 'an easy car to drive fast', and 'I didn't feel challenged by the car'.

The letter writer's point was that his money would be spent on the maximum fun per dollar, not on the fastest lap per dollar.

Having said that, I'd love to have the chance to experience the magic Nissan has built into this car. The above discussion may sound old school and dated in a few years (if it doesn't already!) much as the 'purist' assertion that automated dual clutch transmissions have no place in true sports cars.

Just like building an engine, it's critical to assess your goals and seek a car that will fit them. Discussions like this will guide others!

Dan
    sigpic
    The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Dan, I really enjoyed reading your post. You Should be writing articles for a magazine or something man.

It really does come down to what you want to get out of the car. Myself, I feel I would have a hard time feeling truely connected to the R35, but until someone offers me a test drive I cant draw any conclusions. I think by the time the R35 reaches puberty we will be looking at very different car in terms of potential and feel. I dont think it will be too long before there are fully manual transmissions available whether it be from the factory or the aftermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by bignate View Post
        Dan, I really enjoyed reading your post. You Should be writing articles for a magazine or something man.
        Ha ha! Thx. Maybe if engineering doesn't work out...

Cheers,
        Dan
        sigpic
        The Beaumont Connection

Comment

The GTR is a boat, it's like comparing a Lincoln to a go cart.

Stock for stock though I would take a new gtr, as anyone would have to agree. It just is better. Not to say you can't make the previous generations far superior.

Comment

Having driven both, I would actually own the R35 instead. The refinements on it are amazing but it never felt like a boat to me. It also seemed to more amazing the faster and harder you pushed it. I did get a chance to *push* it abit and got to test the brakes out

Mark
            (OO\______/OO)

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly
              The GTR is a boat, it's like comparing a Lincoln to a go cart.

Stock for stock though I would take a new gtr, as anyone would have to agree. It just is better. Not to say you can't make the previous generations far superior.
              So I assume you have driven the new GT-R to come to the conclusion that it is a boat?
              The biggest reason I wouldn't own a GT-R is because of the running cost....100,000 JPY for a new tire?! The brake pads are also insanely expensive along with a host of other maintainance items. My BNR32 is just as fast, and running costs are very minimal.
              But then again if I could afford the R35 would I care about running costs?
              RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
              http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
              1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Didn't they say the exact same things about the R32/33/34 when they came out?

I mean look at the AWD system, 4 wheel steering, abs ... One might argue that the R32... drives itself.

Comment

the new GTR is still just that..... new. I must admit i do love the feeling of planting an AWD and it really wanting to move about the road losing traction here and there and you really having to fight for it. Thats just plain fun.

Im sure after time once the new GTR hits puberty and people understand it better and more mods are availible..... it will be the tough handling fun awd that we like.

Everyone said the r32 gtr was "driving itself" and wasnt a "drivers car" when it came out and now look at it

Comment

everyone needs to give this car more time, From what i hear nissan is making another GTR with lighter body parts and more simple everything to save on weight. That by it self should help with the feel of the car.

This car looks great sounds even better, Cant wait to drive one in the coming years.
                    92,94,95 Honda Civic
                    92,92,93 Nissan Skyine GTS-T
                    91 Nissan Skyline GTR
                    92,93 Nissan 180sx
                    90,91,91,92,93,93 Nissan 240sx
                    89 Nissan Silvia

Comment

I don't know about you but I can totally see Nissan getting "back to basics" with a lighter, simpler, albeit a little slower GTR when the next generation rolls out in 6-8 years (thats if Nissan is still in a position to do another GTR given the climate of the automotive manufacturing industry). I'd like to see that.

I am still very much enamoured with the R32!

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by JZ View Post
                        I don't know about you but I can totally see Nissan getting "back to basics" with a lighter, simpler, albeit a little slower GTR when the next generation rolls out in 6-8 years (thats if Nissan is still in a position to do another GTR given the climate of the automotive manufacturing industry). I'd like to see that.

I am still very much enamoured with the R32!
                        Yeah I'm with you there. I think Nissan really needs to figure out whether they are building a sports car or a fast luxury car. I love my R32 GTR for the reason theres everything you need to go fast and enjoy it and not too much fat to trim. That said, shes still a hefty bugger but we can thank atessa for that.

Comment

By the sound of things at Nissan, looks like this GTR might be the last of the breed. Tough economic times having a huge impact, GTR assembly line's been temporarily halted--> http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...-r-orde?blog=4

Low production numbers will really help resale, as is seen in the NSX.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Working...
                          X